I've seen some bands use a pedal to go from a clean tone gradually into distortion. I was just wondering what kind of pedal that is? Is it just a volume pedal that overdrives the tubes when it's turned up?

I tried to find a video of it but I couldnt. I know I've seen the Fall of Troy do it alot.
I hate my sig
well usually tube amps distorion are very responsive with your playing, so the harder you play, the more distorted it will be, or you can use a volume pedal
Quote by Sguit
well usually tube amps distorion are very responsive with your playing, so the harder you play, the more distorted it will be, or you can use a volume pedal

/thread
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
On my multieffects pedal, there is a function where you set the expression pedal to increase gain as you press down harder.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
A volume pedal will do the trick, as will the volume knob on your guitar. All it is doing is driving the amp less than the full output of your guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by mmolteratx
/thread

not really. thats not what I was asking. I was asking about the pedal
I hate my sig
ok theres NO pedal. thomas erak's amp is just extremely responsive to his volume control. by turning down the vol on his guitar he can clean up his sound. when he wants to distort his sound he just rolls the control up slowly giving it that effect...
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
Okay then, softer picking+volume knob manipulation/volume pedal=gradual distortion on a tube amp.

now /thread?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Okay then, softer picking+volume knob manipulation/volume pedal=gradual distortion on a tube amp.

now /thread?

fine. /thread. I guess I just have to have my amp railed like Thomas
I hate my sig
Well there is also the Gig-Fx V.O.D. (variable overdrive) it's an expression pedal type pedal and the farther forward you rock it, the more gain.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by Sguit

Indeed. I can take my clean channel on my Marshall and dig in real hard and get a break up.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Perhaps not /thread yet, I've always wondered how Vai went so smoothely and gradually from the heavily distorted solo back to the clean riff in Tender Surrender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

From about 3:50 - 4:00 is the part I'm talking about. Is that all from how he's playing?
Terrible even.
Quote by Bad Technique
Perhaps not /thread yet, I've always wondered how Vai went so smoothely and gradually from the heavily distorted solo back to the clean riff in Tender Surrender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

From about 3:50 - 4:00 is the part I'm talking about. Is that all from how he's playing?

yeah, he just plays harder, that's all
Quote by Sguit
yeah, he just plays harder, that's all

Wow, that is quite a difference.... interesting.
Terrible even.
Quote by Bad Technique
Wow, that is quite a difference.... interesting.

If you have good pickups and a responcive amplifier like the Legacy, turning your volume down a tad and playing softer can REALLY increase the dynamic range.