I'd prefer if you use guitarcenter.com or spotlightmusicstore.com for pricing, since they're generally who I'm trying to buy from.
What are you looking to play?
Any preferred styles? Pups? Brands?
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Fender Strat standard
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
epi les paul standard or fender standard strat. the gc by me has some new prs se's for around $500, and in my mind that is the best choice.
I got a Dean Black Bolt ML for 300, and it plays beautifully with distortion or on clean tone, just like every other ML. And it looks great with the lightning.
Ibanez makes a few nice guitars, same with ESP. Epiphone as well. I dun recomend the fenders....they mexi strats to my knowledge.
music styles?

current amp?
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Schecter Damien 6, bought mine for 500 USD.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
a good MIM fender, high end agile, or prs se

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Ibanez makes a few nice guitars, same with ESP. Epiphone as well. I dun recomend the fenders....they mexi strats to my knowledge.

and what's wrong with mexican strats?
Quote by angusfan16

That penis guitar. Hell, i'd wank it.

UG's MEXICAN DRUMMER
Hagstrom, they're back, they're cheap and they're amazing. Get one with a split coil on it and you can get any sound you want out of it. Trust me.
War doesn't determine who's right; it determines who's left.
a double neck searchbar... i had to

in al seriousness... i was in the same position and i got a PRS SE great instrument... but idk your tastes so...
BUY USED. its a lesson that nobody understands, you get an awesome guitar for half the price
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Quote by StillSoundRG

the only damien that is that expensive is the special FR, which you can get cheaper than that. i got mine for $365 new

i recommend this guitar also, just look on ebay.
Buy used and you could probably get an American Strat. But if you want to order from Musicians Friend, get a Gibson MM for $249 shipped and get a good tube amp with the rest.
Quote by HeavyMetalHokie
BUY USED. its a lesson that nobody understands, you get an awesome guitar for half the price

^This
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I recomend a Epiphone SG or ESP LTD Viper-50 is good to. SG is lighter and better on stage while Viper is a solid body but a better pitch to it. both are resonably priced and good.
I think at the moment I'm narrowed down to these four guitars:

Gibson SG Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Strat Standard HSS
ESP LTD EC-401VF

Which do you guys think would be best?

I played a bit for my parents so they could see how well my teacher was helping me progress and they decided they could bump up my limit a bit to $600 (there's a 15% off sale starting on Friday, so the SG and Epiphone LP are down to $600 with that).
I noticed one of the ones you wanted was an SG. If you want good one for less(its an epiphone, i dont know if you want an epiphone or gibson, or if you really care) go for this one...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455#new

I've got it and its pretty freakin' great!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Even though its a gibson, i wouldnt suggest that sg. Its on the lower end gibson line, and while they arent bad quality, ive noticed their quality to be kind of sketchy (buzzing, sharp fret ends). If you really want an sg, go with an epi g400. Youll have money left over too for other stuff. Personally id take the lp custom just cuz i love my les paul, but they are all really good reliable choices, so you cant go wrong if you try them out. Id suggest since you have it narrowed down to that, try them all out, consider your musical style (to dicide if you want single coils), and go from that.
Quote by Eag1e

Gibson SG Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
ESP LTD EC-401VF

I played a bit for my parents so they could see how well my teacher was helping me progress and they decided they could bump up my limit a bit to $600 (there's a 15% off sale starting on Friday, so the SG and Epiphone LP are down to $600 with that).

ltd and fender mim both get my recommendations. both are versatile guitars given you have a good amp
I love my epi lp custom but it like most epis have bad tuning problems. a friend of mine has a lower end ltd ec and it plays amazingly. I just dont like the ltds because they have those 3 knobs arranged funky(I know stupid reason to dislike them, has nothing to do with playability, its just a mental thing for me). the lp and the ltd have my recommendations.
Quote by StillSoundRG

yea, i played it next to one of those $800 Epis, and the Schecter was better in every way. Or get an LTD. They make some great Bang for buck type things. Look at their website(www.espguitars.com). Fender strat standards are good. Also jackson, they have the same type of guitars as Schecter and ESP, look at those.
Quote by Eag1e

Gibson SG Special
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
ESP LTD EC-401VF

I have played all of thopse, and i can tell you, dont buy the Epi or the Gibby. The LTD plays great and is your best option. The MIM Strat is a great guitar, but the LTD is a really cool guitar, and that would be my choice if i were you.
Quote by Eag1e
I'd prefer if you use guitarcenter.com or spotlightmusicstore.com for pricing, since they're generally who I'm trying to buy from.

i got my godin freeway classic for around 500 bucks and im very happy with it. comfortable neck and great sound.
So it looks like you guys generally like the ESP LTD EC 401VF best of those four?
man, whats wrong with epiphone or gibson? first off for $500 you aint gettin' no gibson unless it's really used and banged up,second, epiphone les paul's are incredible guitars,
don't kid yourself
My Gear

Epiphone les paul 100

Marshall valvestate 8080