So what are the differences between the nitro and quickrod? All I really know is that the nitro has more gain.

Also, what's up with the whole 'fx-loop trick'? I've heard several people complaining about the fx loops.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Most people have KT88s in the Nitro and EL34s in the Quickrod, for one, which makes a huge difference.

The issue could be that the loops are series ones? I can't see it making a vast difference since it's true bypass anyways.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Nitro is darker (more lower mids) and has a more modern voice. Some claim more gain and more saturation too and has more tube choices out of the gate. The Quick Rod has 3 gears and voiced more like a rodded 800.

Quick Rod - Original Splawn tone with 3 gears
100 watts - w/ half power switch
Channel 1 (clean) - independent EQ and gain controls
Channel 2 (overdrive) - solo boost, OD1 (rhythm) /OD2 (lead) mode, 3 gear modes
Gears - 1st - Hot Rod Plexi, 2nd - Hot Rod 800, 3rd - Super Hot Rod 800
3 Button Footswitch - #1 Clean/Overdrive - #2 OD1/OD2 - #3 Solo Boost
Transformer - Heyboer
Series Effects Loop - w/ true-bypass and adjustable +4db/-10db switch
Impedance Selector - 4/8/16 ohms
Main Voltage Selector - 100, 120, 220, 230V
Tubes - Choice of Mullard EL34s, Tung Sol EL34Bs

Nitro - Same as Quick Rod with more saturation and lower end for more modern tones
100 watts - w/ half power switch
Channel 1 (clean) - independent EQ and gain controls
Channel 2 (overdrive) - resonance control, solo boost, OD1 (rhythm) /OD2 (lead) mode
3 Button Footswitch - #1 Clean/Overdrive - #2 OD1/OD2 - #3 Solo Boost
Transformer - Heyboer
Series Effects Loop - w/ true-bypass and adjustable +4db/-10db switch
Impedance Selector - 4/8/16 ohms
Main Voltage Selector - 100, 120, 220, 230V
Tubes - Choice of Mullard EL34s, Tung Sol EL34Bs, or Sovtek KT88s (120 watts)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066497

http://splawnguitars.com/amps08.htm

there is a great demo of both on youtube - which is in the Splawn Amplification thread I linked.

Pretty much what 311 said, except, the Nitro has a better clean channel and (imo) the EL-34 version sounds better - and can also be modded to use KT-88s, the KT-88 version cannot.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Wait, the Nitro can be had with KT88s so what do you mean 'modded'?

Edit: Did you mean the KT88 version cannot be modded back to EL34s?

Or did you mean to say the Quick Rod?

Also Jinskee - the effect loop trick I think you are referring to may be the Volume Pedal trick. Most amps will 'gain up' a bit if you plug a cable in the send/return. The Splawns do not take pedals as well as other amps (from what i've read). With a VP in the loop you can use it as a master volume. All the new Splawns (09) come with a volume 'knob' built in and next to the effects loop - for this very reason.

Otherwise, i meant to tell you to PM MatrixClaw as he has owned both and knows more about amps than I.

I haven't owned the QR, I've never tried one

Before I got my Nitro, I actually preferred the QR from clips, but after hearing from other people on it after I got it, I'm sure the Nitro was more my taste.

PM Erock if you want a good comparison, he has owned both (I bought my Nitro from him )

The EL-34 version of the Nitro can be modded very easily to run on KT-88s. The KT-88 version cannot be modded easily to run on EL-34s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 1, 2009,
tnx for clarification Derek.

I keep confusing your amp history with Erik's. Wonder why

Personally, I don't see how you can go wrong with either. There are lower wattage and single channel versions of these amps too (see links above). Part of it depends on if you want new or used.

New - you get a life time warranty, FX loop 'master volume', and a 4 month wait almost.
Used - you get quality amp that doesn't need a warranty, FX tricks, and immediate gratification.

thank you guys loads!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R