I'm playing electric, in my first 6 months.

I live in an apartment and out of respect for those around me, I very often play unplugged.

But playing plugged in through headphones I've found the guitar is MUCH more forgiving on fret buzz etc.

The guitar is a used Epi Les Paul Standard and there is a little fret buzz. I've got rid of much of it, but I find that unplugged it still takes some effort to get a "clean" sounds from the frets.

But when playing plugged in - it's incredible how much of that fret buzz doesn't make it back through the amp.

Sorry for the stupid question, but is that normal? Playing plugged in it just seems so much easier to get a cleaner sound... I've got overdrive cranked at the moment which I suspect will mask some of the issues too.... Feedback appreciated.
It is perfectly normal, at least according to my guitar teacher who is a genius that attended Berkley.

Edit: Mine does the same thing.
Because deep down, I know you want to:

My Youtube Channel

Constructive criticism is always welcomed.
my white falcon buzzes like crazy, and when i plug it in, nothing.
perfectly normal
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I know how you feel being stuck in an apartment, I don't even own an amp. I've got an Aria Les Paul and I get a little fret buzz in the real low notes, but on the occasion I get to hook it up to an amp I never hear any of it.
You might be picking harder when not plugged in to hear your self better, and that could cause the buzzing. Any guitar will buzz if you pick/strum hard enough.
Quote by WuGuitarist
You might be picking harder when not plugged in to hear your self better, and that could cause the buzzing. Any guitar will buzz if you pick/strum hard enough.

Yea this might be what is happening here. But keep in mind that even if you can't hear fret buzz through your amp, it may still be there and affecting your sustain.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I think with low action, low relief and light gauge strings it's inevitable that you will get some buzz/rattle when unplugged.