I'm having a bit of a problem

So, I can write great stories, essays, the works, with a love of writing fantasy
I have the vocabulary, I use most writing techniques, metaphors and whatnot
but I cannot write lyrics for the life of me.
I can sit down and write a decent short story in an hour, but I try and do that with lyrics... My head goes out the window. And I sit there stumped, or write absolute ****

Any suggestions for improvement?
Drink the sauce. Go on, it's okay. Just remember, I am the quest.

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
try making a melody first and humming to it. the hums will represent words, with representing syllables. then put in replacement words, either actual lyrics or just crazy words, to get a structure. its silly but it works.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
hmm
I'll try that tomorrow

Another problem of mine: I think I use excessively... Extravagant language

Is this bad?

Quote by illuminatiano
YOU ARE A NO GOOD LAZY FORGETFUL STONER WITH NO FUTURE YOU ARE WORTHLESS TO SOCIETY
Nope. As long as the point still gets across it works.

Of course, if you're writing something that even YOU have to think about really hard because of the language, then definately water it down. Writing lyrics isn't like writing an exam paper or a story. You can use incorrect grammar and such. Really lyrics are an artistic extension of your everyday speech (to me at least)
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'm fine with the incorrect grammar and all, and I always write the first words that come with a feeling, I never think about it...

But it somehow ends up seeming very... 15th century

Quote by illuminatiano
I read this and instantly thought of myself.
What I've been doing to help myself think of lyrics is recording the piece, and listening to it over and over and over until something pops up, I'll put the software on loop and sit for 20 minutes at a time, waiting until something clicks.
I'm still sort of having the problem that you have, so if find a better answer, please let me know. =)
Lyrics are basically poetry that you sing.

Write a poem, and try to sing it, maybe?

Also, come up with a basic chord progression or whatever you want to base the song off of, and sit there with your guitar and strum it while you write the lyrics.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black