I'm probably going to have random questions here and there so I figured instead of making 100 new threads each time, I'll just keep it to this one.

To start off, this is the V i'm going to start with, some older Epiphone. It has already been refinished, so to strip off the paint would it be easier to use chemicals? Or is sanding the easiest way no matter what?

Here's a list of supplies I plan to buy, what else do I need?

Oil-Based Grain Filter
Sand and Sealer Aerosol
Gold Top Gold
Nitrocellulose Clear Coat

Or is anything up there not necessary?

Thanks for any responses!! I look forward to spending some quality with you guys as I walk thru my first refinish!!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

sanding is more fun, IMO. I love sanding.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
sometimes

it would make things easier.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

get a random orbital sander = life saver

imo gold top and V don't match, but whatever you want.

Also unless you wanna wait a month for the paint to dry, i suggest doing a satin or lacquer clear coat instead of nitro. Unless you really want nitro that is
I think goldtop anything is win.

including women...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by guitarcam123
get a random orbital sander = life saver

imo gold top and V don't match, but whatever you want.

Also unless you wanna wait a month for the paint to dry, i suggest doing a satin or lacquer clear coat instead of nitro. Unless you really want nitro that is

So something more along the lines of this...?
http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/item/3881
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

the gloss will be shinier.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

gloss lacquer will be shiny.

nitro is a big poopface, or so I hear.

I'm an oil kinda guy, but you aren't wanting a clear finish so that's out.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

nitro is better for a harder, thinner finish, its like the koa of acoustics and limba of electrics, its downside is the fact that it takes forever to dry. Although if you want a reflective, glossy finish, gloss lacquer is the path you wanna take.
The Epis have a thick finish, so sanding will take forever. If you're painting it a solid colour, you can take a shortcut. Use some paint stripper, and coarse steel wool. Once you're down to the primer, go to coarse sandpaper. When the guitar is showing all wood, switch to lighter sandpaper like 220 grit, and sand until it's smooth all around. Then give it a sanding with 400 grit before you reprime it. Just remember to stop and let the guitar sit for a day or so between stripping and sanding. The stripper turns the finish a little gummy, and you want to let it harden again, or else sanding is almost impossible.
Also, don't try to use Nitro if you don't have a room you can use just for spraying. I like Poly finishes because they dry faster. If you try to spray Nitro in your garage for instance, and the next day is really humid (or worse, if it rains), then the previous day's coat might very well fog.
Quote by jean_genie
The Epis have a thick finish, so sanding will take forever. If you're painting it a solid colour, you can take a shortcut. Use some paint stripper, and coarse steel wool. Once you're down to the primer, go to coarse sandpaper. When the guitar is showing all wood, switch to lighter sandpaper like 220 grit, and sand until it's smooth all around. Then give it a sanding with 400 grit before you reprime it. Just remember to stop and let the guitar sit for a day or so between stripping and sanding. The stripper turns the finish a little gummy, and you want to let it harden again, or else sanding is almost impossible.
the ts said it has already been refinished
Quote by stinger12345
To start off, this is the V i'm going to start with, some older Epiphone. It has already been refinished

GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I live up in Chico and it gets around 105 degrees Fahrenheit here with 23% humidity. Is that bad for the finish? I think I could just do the actual work outside but move it upstairs to an unused room with a window open. Good idea?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 1, 2009,
as long as you don't get paint on the walls going over there, should be ok I would think.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

So I finally started sanding today. When do I move to 100grade sandpaper? I've been using the 60, and the wood is almost completely showing, except for some black splotches still. Do I wait until those splotches are gone and it's completely wood?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

So can anyone offer any advice?

Quote by stinger12345
So I finally started sanding today. When do I move to 100grade sandpaper? I've been using the 60, and the wood is almost completely showing, except for some black splotches still. Do I wait until those splotches are gone and it's completely wood?
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you have to sand all the paint off, you definitely don't want to sand to the raw wood. Just to clarify there is a clear coat between the raw wood and the black paint. You shouldn't sand anymore with 60. I'd say move up to 100, then progressively move up to 240, making sure you get the scratches out from the previous grits (when you're sanding with the 100, you don't want any scratches from the 60 to be visible when you move to the next grit, etc...). Once you're sanded to 240 (by the way it doesn't have to be 240, it could be 230 or 250 or something else, depending on what your sandpaper is), you would start spraying primer. I don't know what to do beyond this. I suggest you go to the ultimate refinishing thread once you're sanded to 240, then they'll direct you from there.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Jul 22, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
I think goldtop anything is win.

including women...

The image of the golden Woman from Goldfinger just popped into mind.

I have just recently completed a Goldtop Project of my own.
Check out my thread to see how it looks.
it's called "Re-Finishing my Peavey Raptor"

To achieve the final result, I used
2 Cans Metallic Gold
2 Cans Gold Spray-Glitter
2 Cans Clear-Coat

Gold sure is an eye catcher.
..I was watching my death.