im looking for like a pocket-sized tube amp. well, maybe a bit bigger. but what is the smallest you have ever used/seen? i want something that i can get distortion from at about 1/2-3/4 the volume of a fender champion 600(those who have played it know). but i want the cleans to still be audible (about medium-high talking level) about this size (http://www.mojomusic.ca/page4/files/tubulent-lit-angle-zoom.jpg). has anyone ever seen anything (or even just blueprints!) for anything this small?

thanks in advance!

EDIT: and something under $200 please!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Last edited by f22master at Jun 30, 2009,
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Jun 30, 2009,
^$500!!! thats insane!!! who would pay that much for a <1w amp?!?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
well to get 3 decibels lower (assuming the same speaker cab), you need half the wattage. To get that quiet, I'd recommend the Blackheart Angry Ant. It's 1 watt I believe. In theory, it should be about half the volume of the Champ 600.

You're not going to get clean AND dirty sounds you like out of an amp like that though. At least not without some serious modding. Single-ended Class A amps have a 'sweet spot' there their tone is most saturated - usually something like 11 to 12 o'clock on the volume knob. Below that they sound a little thin. Above that, they distort. Many cheaper amps (like anything under $500 or so for a 5 watter and below) distort lower on the knob.

My advice is to get something that sounds best at the volume you want. Roll off the volume knob on the guitar to clean it up, and use a Tubescreamer, overdrive or other low-to-moderate gain pedal to make it distort. It won't go sparlking clean or super heavy, but everything in between will be awesome.

Other than that, your only option to play clean that quiet is pretty much solid state. If you try to play below their sweet spot, a lot of tube amps sound thin and compressed. Good luck!
Quote by f22master
^$500!!! thats insane!!! who would pay that much for a <1w amp?!?

Because some people want a good <1 watt amp is the logical answer. Not everyone wants a 100 watt fullstack.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
the blackheart killer ant is the only one that comes to minds.

also, there's a little blue thing. I saw some youtube vids on it and it was good, but i dont remember it's name. and it was fricken expensive for it's size.

EDIT: yeah, it's that zvex thing someone posted obove.

EDIT 2: ts, your link is wrong. you have to remove a parenthesis in the end
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jun 30, 2009,
actually, i wasnt thinking of a manufacured amp. i was thinking more of a DIY micro tube amp. has anyone seen anything like that?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by gregs1020
Because some people want a good <1 watt amp is the logical answer. Not everyone wants a 100 watt fullstack.

Volume. Most every Zeppelin and Who guitar parts were recorded on 3-18 watt amps. Cranking a 100 watt tube amp to get 'that awesome heavy sound' is a really good way to wreck almost any high-end mic.

You should pick a tube amp based first on the wattage, and how that fits into how loud you want to be. Even if you're playing a good-sized bar with 200 people, a 30-watt Fender Reverb is going to be plenty of volume if you want to play cranked. Maybe even too much.
Quote by jean_genie
Volume. Most every Zeppelin and Who guitar parts were recorded on 3-18 watt amps. Cranking a 100 watt tube amp to get 'that awesome heavy sound' is a really good way to wreck almost any high-end mic.

You should pick a tube amp based first on the wattage, and how that fits into how loud you want to be. Even if you're playing a good-sized bar with 200 people, a 30-watt Fender Reverb is going to be plenty of volume if you want to play cranked. Maybe even too much.

Which is why I'm selling a 35 watt fender tube amp. The rest of my amps are 15 or 20 watts. More than enough volume.

But my point was that some people who have money, want a quality low wattage tube amp. Not sure why you quoted me tho.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Try telling Ritchie Blackmore to not mic up cranked 100 watt tubers.

The Zvex is the only one I would buy. There might be some schematics out there for the adventurous type trying to build one.

Meh. Personal preference, I guess. And the recording space makes a difference too. I use an Orange Tiny Terror for recording, and I love the hell out of it. Bear in mind that I live downtown though, and my apartment isn't soundproofed.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Try telling Ritchie Blackmore to not mic up cranked 100 watt tubers.

The Zvex is the only one I would buy. There might be some schematics out there for the adventurous type trying to build one.

building one is definetly a better option than the Zvex. how much would a small tube amp cost to make (on average)?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by gregs1020
Which is why I'm selling a 35 watt fender tube amp. The rest of my amps are 15 or 20 watts. More than enough volume.

But my point was that some people who have money, want a quality low wattage tube amp. Not sure why you quoted me tho.

Because I clicked on the wrong post? Hey, it's late and I'm getting ready for bed, lay off me man.

Oh, on DIYs ... I know a couple guys that have done them well, and a lot that have mangled it. You could start by making the 5-watt Champ - they say it's the simplist good amp design there is, and then modify it from there. Doing the Champ first will give you some insight into what you're doing before you start using the less-common parts and wirings for fractional voltages. And if all else fails, you'll at least have a cool 5-watter.

I think it'd be really neat to wire it up with a tube/solid state rectifier switch. Some Mesas have that, and it's a really useful feature. I find that the tube rectifier hase a vibe that sounds thicker and records better, but the solid state recto blends in a lot better when playing with a band.
Quote by jean_genie
Because I clicked on the wrong post? Hey, it's late and I'm getting ready for bed, lay off me man. .

I just said I'm not sure why you quoted me. No biggie, no hate, sleep tight. I agree with your post fwiw.
I meant to comment on what the other guy said. You quoted him, I saw his words in your post, and wasn't paying enough attention.

Okay, last post before Mr. Sandman conks me in the head with a mallet. Good talk.
the 5w champ? you mean the champion 600 right?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
There have been a lot of "champs" over the years. Great little amps. The old tweed champ has been used in studios for years.
are they all the same amp in different cases? or are they all different?

and could i get a link to a good one? or maybe even a kit?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
i already googled it...but i guess i googled the wrong thing. but ive already seen 4 of those sites...but i see a few good ones.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Vox AC4TV combo
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist