I am the owner of a 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I love the guitar, but the pots are not very good. They are not dynamic at all. For example, the actual change in volume from 0% to 100% occurs between digits 1 and 4 on the knob. After that, nothing changes. The last 60% of the pot's rotary action is virtually useless because nothing actually changes. The same thing occurs on the tone pots.

I want high-quality pots that are more dynamic than the stock ones. I want the entire range of motion of the pot to have an effect on tone/volume.

-Do I need to buy two separate types of pots for tone and volume?

-What are some recommended pots?

-Should I purchase shielded wire for when I install the pots?

-Do the pot knobs just pull right off? Do I need to reapply them with glue?

I have searched, and all I could find is information on the difference between pots between active and passive pickups, different wiring layouts, how to wire, etc. Nothing about the actual quality of the pots themselves.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I don't know the answer, but I was about to start a thread on the same topic...My LP is 2008 and the pots are almost as bad as TS, not quite THAT bad, but still kinda weak.

*sits in anticipation*
answers:
1 You only need one type of pot, 500k, and there are no differences between volume and tone
however i do recommend getting a new .47 cap for each tone pot, unless you want to salvage your old one, again though, the new will most likely perform better.
2 I STRONGLY recommend dimarzio pots. they have been very good in every use i have used them for and they are american made if im not mistaken. a much smoother taper than all parts
3 The shielded wire is up to you but i do not think it is nesescary.
4 The knobs pull right off (straight up) and are held on by pressure so you just push them back down after the new installation

-4 dimarzio 500k pots
-2 dimarzio .47 caps

that is your shopping list if you ask me as long as you have the materials/tools to install them
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

CTS pots are choice my friend.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by spootz
answers:
1 You only need one type of pot, 500k, and there are no differences between volume and tone
however i do recommend getting a new .47 cap for each tone pot, unless you want to salvage your old one, again though, the new will most likely perform better.
2 I STRONGLY recommend dimarzio pots. they have been very good in every use i have used them for and they are american made if im not mistaken. a much smoother taper than all parts
3 The shielded wire is up to you but i do not think it is nesescary.
4 The knobs pull right off (straight up) and are held on by pressure so you just push them back down after the new installation

-4 dimarzio 500k pots
-2 dimarzio .47 caps

that is your shopping list if you ask me as long as you have the materials/tools to install them

What are the tools you need besides soldering iron, ofc
Quote by philipp122

No, you can use audio pots for both. The general difference between volume and tone knobs is that tone knobs have a capacitor soldered between the middle tab of the pot and ground.

Quote by philipp122

Yes, they should pull right off. Use a flathead screwdriver if you're having trouble getting them off; make sure you put something between the head and the guitar body to prevent your finish from being scratched. And no, you shouldn't need glue to fit the knobs back on.

Quote by philipp122

Yeah, why not.
Thanks for the help guys. Looks like I'll be buying the DiMarzio pots and caps. I already have a soldering iron + solder.. I don't think anything else is neccesary other than wire.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I find linear tapered pots tend to do that. Audio tapered is the way to go. Alpha pots are cheap and good. From my experience, get gloves so when you hold the pot while soldering, the pot dosen't burn your hands.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
oh, last tip

turn the pot all the way to zero so if you get it just a bit too hot, you wont make a "dead" spot and if you do, it will be at zero so it wont matter a bit

just a friendly tip
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

i would like to correct myself. i was about to fall asleep when i realized i told you to get the wrong caps

for the les paul, or humbucker guitars, get .022 caps not the .047 i said earlier

change your list to:
-4 dimarzio 500k pots
-2 dimarzio .022 caps (orange drop are also good caps, but i would stick with the dimarzio based on availability and that the difference is neglible)

pm me with questions if you have any
GEAR:
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by philipp122
I am the owner of a 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I love the guitar, but the pots are not very good. They are not dynamic at all. For example, the actual change in volume from 0% to 100% occurs between digits 1 and 4 on the knob. After that, nothing changes. The last 60% of the pot's rotary action is virtually useless because nothing actually changes. The same thing occurs on the tone pots.

I want high-quality pots that are more dynamic than the stock ones. I want the entire range of motion of the pot to have an effect on tone/volume.

-What are some recommended pots?

I have searched, and all I could find is information on the difference between pots between active and passive pickups, different wiring layouts, how to wire, etc. Nothing about the actual quality of the pots themselves.
1 - Modern Gibson wiring on 2-volume guitars is with the volume controls "reversed". (Pickup connected to wiper) This is to prevent one volume at zero from cutting the sound when both pickups are selected. This makes the volume controls work poorly. I strongly recommend wiring the volume controls "normally".

2 - Gibson (and maybe Epiphone, too?) Uses 300k linear pots for their volume controls. They use linear rather than audio taper so there is more control of the "blend" between pickups when both are used together. You can use audio taper pots for better control of volume when each is used separately, but it will make it slightly harder to control the blend.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.