I'm looking to buy a new guitar for around $500. I'm looking to play bands such as The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand, Muse, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Death Cab.

I was looking at the following guitars, can you give some pros/cons of them?

1) Fender-telecaster
2) Fender-jaguar
3)Fender-mustang
4)Ibanez-artcore
5) Fender-jazzmaster

Thanks in advance
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
Telecasters sound good, and they give you kind of a classic vibe, but I'd say to go with the jaguar or jazzmaster if you plan on using your whammy alot. Mustangs are cool too, but they are best for grunge I don't know much about the artcore. Sorry.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht

I love you!

Quote by jibran
You live in Australia.

Bill Frisell Group
i would personally go with the jaguar more tonal variety than the jazz master. but it really depends on what model u want there are alot of models. and right now everything except the artcore and mim telecaster seem out of your price range. can you go used?
Ya, I was considering used, the only reason I included the others.

The tele is great for those bands, but in my original music, I might need different sounds. and was curious as to what tonal advantages the other models have
Gear

Epiphone les paul Standard (sunburst)

Crate Vintage Club 50

Ibanez TS9 (Turbo Version?)

Alvarez Jumbo Acoustic
the fenders all have similar, more trebly sounds.

the ibanez will likely have a much smoother mid-heavy sound.
i think the tele is perfect for what you want to do, and you can always throw a humbucker into the bridge position, and maybe one at the neck. i've seen some great diagrams for a 4 and 5 way switch mod for a tele. you'd still get all the tele tones and more! just throwing that out there, if you'd be willing to make changes to the guitar later too
i actually just remembered i played a Schecter Ultra III

great playing guitar, and super versatile for rock
Go for a tele or a semi hollow.
Quote by MrFlibble
Zakk Wylde actually uses four MGs on stage. One set to crushing overdrive, one set to brutal distortion, one set to crushingly brutal distortion, and the fourth set to brutally crushing overdrive.

Krank Distortion Pedal!!!!
I think the Tele would be best for all of those, most of those bands have generally trebly guitar tones. The Tele can help you with that.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Everything but the Ibanez should get the job done marvelously, decide what you like the best. The Ibanez might work for rhythm, or indie/alternative that is a bit folkier. I wouldn't plan on using it with distortion, unless you intentionally want feedback.

Edit: I didn't really read your post when I wrote my post.

I would just say to pick from the four that aren't the Ibanez.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Last edited by Sopheydood at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by afterthewar
Telecasters sound good, and they give you kind of a classic vibe, but I'd say to go with the jaguar or jazzmaster if you plan on using your whammy alot. Mustangs are cool too, but they are best for grunge I don't know much about the artcore. Sorry.

this really.

The artcore will probably have too much of a warm mellow tone for alt/indie styles - well, unless you play lead, as a lot of indie bands do use semi-hollows for lead.

Telecaster would be the safest bet really - teles have a good solid tone and are the most reliable guitars ever imo. However, telecasters don't often have tremolos.

If you need a tremolo, this is where it gets a tad confusing.

The Mustang is the least problematic of the 3 others, but they are not great and all they really have going for them is the retro charm which has almost lured me in on many occasions. They are cool but they don't sound great and don't stay in tune particularly well either.. to be honest they are overpriced cheap guitars, really. But i love them!

The Jaguar and Jazzmaster on the other hand are great instruments... once you've sorted out that damn bridge. I own a Jazzmaster and it's a really nice guitar, but that bridge caused a lot of teething problems when i got it first, and the solution was to replace the saddles and use heavy gauge strings - oddly enough, you can fix a jag or a jazzmaster and turn it into a usable guitar by putting a mustang bridge on it! But even then, you'll need a Buzz-stop to reduce the "3rd bridge" drones you get from the length of string between the bridge and the tailpiece... or if you want the drones you can leave it as is.

If you're looking for a solid workhorse guitar with a trem though, you basically have no choice but to get a strat - it's free from all these annoying little quirks
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
In my opinion, look in your used market for a telecaster then later down the line if you feel confident install your own bigsby

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel