I have a Peavey classic 30 and right now it has sovteks.
i dont really like them.

Which cheap power tubes last the longest?
I heard EH tubes last long but aren't good for distortion.
I heard JJ power tubes are awesome but dont last long.

I also need pre amp tubes but i think im gonna put
a Tung-sol in slot 1, a JJ in slot 2, and a EH in slot 3

there are some tubes called mullard re-issue for like 16 bucks a piece too, are those any good.

Suggestions?
i play hard rock and blues.

i have about 100 bucks for all 7 tubes.
and how much would it cost for a tech to bias my tube?
Really?
i've heard that the JJs are prone to dying out.
i'lll take your word since you are an amp tech
speaking of that, how much do yall charge to bias tubes?
i've asked everywhere and no one can give me an answer
Well anything can happen with a tube first off. As long as you take care of them they will last for awhile. JJ's are great but don't take to certain amps very well in the preamp position, and you won't know until you try. I use All JJ's so don't listen to too much bad hype. EH tubes are good but give off a lot of microphonic noise which gets very annoying in certain application

My advice: Find a local amp technician that is willing to sit down with you and help find a set of tubes that take to your amp well and are to your liking. I am fortunate to have a great tech who does this with me. Most local guys will give you great deals on NOS tubes as well which are the gods among tone. cheers
Quote by twistudriffer
Well anything can happen with a tube first off. As long as you take care of them they will last for awhile. JJ's are great but don't take to certain amps very well in the preamp position, and you won't know until you try. I use All JJ's so don't listen to too much bad hype. EH tubes are good but give off a lot of microphonic noise which gets very annoying in certain application

My advice: Find a local amp technician that is willing to sit down with you and help find a set of tubes that take to your amp well and are to your liking. I am fortunate to have a great tech who does this with me. Most local guys will give you great deals on NOS tubes as well which are the gods among tone. cheers

okay thanks. and how much do they usually charge to bias power tubes?
<$50 i hope.
I'm going to guess you have two power tubes? I'm not 100% because I bias my own amps but I would guess about $50 or less. Also, you can tell him to bias at a higher threshold or lower. Higher means you'll get a more fuller saturated sound with lotsa punch (what I opt for) but the tubes wear out faster. Bias it really low and yeah they'll last a lot longer but the signal will sound thin and tinny. If you are not sure what you want, don't say anything as most tech will just go middle of the road bias if you don't specify which is perfectly fine. cheers

EDIT: ok now I see you have 4 EL84's. it might cost you more than $50. Learn to do it yourself. It will save you a bundle in the long run and it's easy as long as you play it safe while your hands are inside the amp.
Last edited by twistudriffer at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by twistudriffer
I'm going to guess you have two power tubes? I'm not 100% because I bias my own amps but I would guess about $50 or less. Also, you can tell him to bias at a higher threshold or lower. Higher means you'll get a more fuller saturated sound with lotsa punch (what I opt for) but the tubes wear out faster. Bias it really low and yeah they'll last a lot longer but the signal will sound thin and tinny. If you are not sure what you want, don't say anything as most tech will just go middle of the road bias if you don't specify which is perfectly fine. cheers

the peavey classic 30 has 4 power tubes.
would that affect the cost significantly?

my dad knows alot about electricitybut nothing about amps.
do you think he would know how to do it if he read intstructions.
he has the tools and knows about ohms and all that stuff.
basically what im asking is, can anyone with electrical knowledge do it.
Yes 4 tubes will prolly cost more than $50. I would say $100 just to be on the safe side though I doubt it would be that much. Better to have too much money rather than not enough. As far as a DIY I dunno depends on what your dad knows. I'm sure he knows about capacitors. You MUST drain them before doing any work inside in amp. The amperage can kill or seriously hurt you if the caps or tube pins are touched. If he, or you are unsure about this take it to a tech. Saving a few bucks is not worth your life. Here's a detailed description on how to drain filter caps and how to bias tubes.

How to drain caps

How to Bias

Good luck and be safe
Last edited by twistudriffer at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by herrotim

speaking of that, how much do yall charge to bias tubes?
i've asked everywhere and no one can give me an answer

The classic 30 is Fixed bias which means that the bias is non adjustable, JJ El84 are a little hot and sound wonderful with C30 which biased a little cold.
As far as tubes go, JJ EL84 are by far the best bang for your buck, before the Mullard re-issues they where the best sounding current production EL84, I have not used the re-issues but have read that they are little better all around over the JJ's. The other guitarest in my band uses a C50 and he has been running the same JJ EL84s now for a year and a half and they still seem real strong, the amp gets about 6 hours of use a week.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
JJ power tubes have a good rep. because their 6v6 is beastly, everything else they do is on par with most other new production tubes.
Your dad should be able to figure it out, do it with him so that you learn. There are good videos online, maybe email doug at dougs tubes and ask him if he can grab you a matched quad of power tubes with the same current draw, then you shouldn't need to bias.
JJ/Tesla = WINWINWIN.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I'd look into eurotubes site. I just got a kit from their site for my V3112 that was high gain, all pre/power tubes for like 90 bucks. They come ready to drop in. They prolly have the C30 kit on there as well. Look into it.
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
JJ's El84s are really awesome too, not just their 6v6.

^exactly, and thier E34L are beastly with a huge lowend for and EL34
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
JJs just seem to be good all around. I haven't yet failed a JJ in my 5 years of doing this (and I've tried, I have a set of 6V6s biased at 140% max dissipation and they're OK with it).

I don't charge anything for biasing, because it's the biggest crock of sh!t that people charge like $50 to do it. Might as well bend the customer over a table and bust out the lube at the same time.
Most techs would charge 20-40, ask them up front.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
^The C30 doesn't need to be biased, just plug and play with the JJ tubes, simple as that.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
^The C30 doesn't need to be biased, just plug and play with the JJ tubes, simple as that.

Your commentary that fixed bias meaning it doesn't need to be adjusted is 100% wrong, unless they put in an auto-biasing feature, which I doubt (not impossible though). I should work without a bias job, but it should be biased to make sure the amp a) sounds good and b) doesn't blow the OT, which is worth WAAAAAY more than a set of tubes.

Fixed bias means you fix the bias at a particular point. That point changes from tube to tube, and thusly it needs to be biased.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
^ I know what fixed bias means, the C30, (like the VK's we were talking about in the other thread), work and sound great with JJ Tubes, no bias adjusting needed with JJ EL84's, I have changed out 3 Peavey classic amps with these tubes, all sound the same, and the tube life on all have been pretty much equal thus far with out changing the bias.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by Johnbryant
^ I know what fixed bias means, the C30, (like the VK's we were talking about in the other thread), work and sound great with JJ Tubes, no bias adjusting needed with JJ EL84's, I have changed out 3 Peavey classic amps with these tubes, all sound the same, and the tube life on all have been pretty much equal thus far with out changing the bias.

really?
i can just plug em in and play?

thats sounds freakin awesome is your right!
get jj's, best tubes out there for reliability, i charge a case of beer to bias them for ya
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by bob vila
I'd look into eurotubes site. I just got a kit from their site for my V3112 that was high gain, all pre/power tubes for like 90 bucks. They come ready to drop in. They prolly have the C30 kit on there as well. Look into it.

if this is true, then this would be the greatest advice i ever recieved....
^ tubedepot.com has a better selection and better prices.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
^but do they sell them in packages made for your amp?
i can get a full re-tube kit at eurotubes for like 75 bucks and they are set to where i can just plug em in and play...i think