I WILL NOTE HERE THAT I'M NOT SURE IF THIS THREAD DOESN'T BELONG HERE, CAN A MOD PLEASE MOVE IT IF IT DOESN'T

Okay, well I have a question for you guys: how many of you guys record your practices? Is it recommended, is it a bad idea, or will it just help a little bit?

And, if any responses recommend doing so, what recording devices are there out there, and which are affordable for getting the job done?
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Jul 1, 2009,
i've recorded 1 or 2 practices before. usually it just gets me to notice how much fooling around there is. but it does give insight on what else to practice on since you can't hear everything at the same time while practicing. 1st time i used a Tascam tape (50$ craigslist) with everything hooked up to a mixer. 2nd time i have a korg d12 (100$ craigslist) with most hooked up to a mixer. in the end, it helps about but takes some time setting up, unless you just put a mic in the middle of the room and hope for the best.
everything into mixer (bass from pre out, guitar miced and only ONE mic for drums front of them)->laptop for recording , this is my solution but only because this way i didnt had to buy a recorder only for recording pratices, it's just for have a overall impression, not for ultra high quality recording.
Peavey Bandit 112
Washburn Chicago series :SD Invader at bridge ,GFS Lil Killer on neck
Bc Rich Warlock :GFS Vintage59 on neck ,Crunchy rails on bridge
Epiphone SG :Tusq Nut, GFS Crunchy Pat on neck, bc rich pickup on bridge
lots of cheap pedals
We recorded our rehearsals religiously. It was really helpful for nailing down arrangements, and for hearing what 'really' was and was not working.

We used a Zoom H2 recorder. Dead easy to set up and sounded really great for rehearsal recordings. Highly recommended.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I've just started a thread on a similar topic, have a listen to the sample in my profile. We used a laptop and a £50 cheap Samson USB mic.

Handheld location recorders are very useful things to have though, so well worth stumping up the extra £100 or so if you'd like a no-hassle way to record all your practices and gigs.
i think recording practices is probably very beneficial it sort of gives you an impartial point of view of what everyone is sounding like you can notice if people are off timing or note wise
also if your desperate for promoters and cant afford a proffesional recording they could help give people an idea