So i'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but I was wondering if you pit monkeys could help me with a few things.
First off, I am wondering what are some necessary things for a band to do before their first show. My band and I are looking to play a show in the near future (late July or August) and we're trying to figure out what all we're going to need to accomplish before we go balls to the wall on finding a gig. We have 6 songs done already, so we should be solid for an opening slot. So here's what we have so far
-Demo CD
-Single for venues to listen to (this or demo will be sent in)
-High resolution band photo
-Band logo
-Band banner (made for at shows)
- Basic flyer outline for shows

Anything else you could help with would be great.

My second question is this; I am the lead singer, so I want to know a few things that you all have seen live, in either local shows or well known bands, that you really liked or didn't like.
I've been working alot on my stage presence, so I don't think that will be a problem, but I know that alot of you hate the standard "what's up (city)? How are you doing tonight?!" you're not liable to get a very deep response from the crowd.
So all in all I would like some help from you fellow concert goers on what you like and don't like from a band in a live setting.
Best dirty pick-up line...
Quote by hide_the_beer
I wish you were my homework so I could slam you on my desk and do you all night long
Last edited by [Erebus] at Jul 1, 2009,
Before going on stage, I fap to calm my nerves.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
to answer number 1...the only nessassary things that i needed for my first show was me and my equipment. one tip is to always have extra cords and strings ready just incase. (even a guitar if possible)
to answer the second...i HATE when singers do not have mic control. when you get louder, back away from the mic.
Last edited by Unourrit01 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Andrew C. S.
You could put a big-ass gong behind the drummer for focusing energy.

This. One thousand times, this.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by skaterskagg1
Before going on stage, I smoke a cigarette to calm my nerves.

Quote by DirtyMakik
Before going on stage, I fap to calm my nerves.

Lol double win
@monkeysintheday: good eye
Best dirty pick-up line...
Quote by hide_the_beer
I wish you were my homework so I could slam you on my desk and do you all night long
I know that one of my ooooold band mates used to have sex with his girlfriend (or a wank) then a shower before we head to the venue. He says it keeps him alert and helps to take the edge off the pre-show stress.

I always down 1 shot of rum, followed by a Malibu and Coke. It helps me get a little dazed. That way I forget how embrassassing it'd be if I mess up on stage.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I always just have my iPod on me and blast my favorite artist at the time into my ears while waiting to load in/play.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Well, unless you're playing guitar by thrashing your dick around the strings I see no application of guitar technique to sex.

My band, Two Days In February
i just jam before i go onstage, that way my fingers are moving, and i'm continuing an already existing energy
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I saw a band who was playing their first show.

No one came up so the singer said something like "It's our first show, there's no way you know how bad we suck yet. Come one get up here and find out"

I got a laugh out of it.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
just pull a drgonforce...get completely fked to the stage where u dont no whether ur fingering notes on the guitar or your mother
Dragonforce are so awsome live
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
Be charming with the crowd, don't plan anything, just play off the mood. And if you bomb at that, just stop and play a song. When worst comes to worst, good music will win over a crowd.
Ibanez MTM2 (DiMarzio X2N/Paf Pro)
Ibanez JS600 (EMG 85/81)
Ibanez EW20AES
ESP LTD MV-200
Madison Divinity II
(2) Vader 2x12"
Korg Pitchblack
Ibanez TS-9
Boss NS-2
MXR-108
Roland GR-20
I don't really do anything before a show as far as calming myself down, I've never had an issue with it. I usually just help the other band guys set their stuff up so we can play faster.
Michael Kelly Hex Deluxe
Line 6 Uber Metal
Boss SD-1
Marshall MG15DFX

Quote by pwrmax
Kerry King always solos in the key of Satan

Quote by Zach Dunn
just need something meaty like a chubby vagina, yet less bassy and and more trebly.
Crush your enemies. Destroy and pillage through towns. Rape women. Start fires.

You know, the usual stuff to help me calm down...
Quote by Hell_Metalist
Crush your enemies. Destroy and pillage through towns. Rape women. Start fires.

You know, the usual stuff to help me calm down...

thats br00tul
for the first question, the flyer thing is quite good. giving the flyer to the audience could also promote your band. oh yeah, the demo CD also a good plan.

for the second question, i think you just anything that helping you to calm down your nerve. everyone have the same phobia as you, "the crowd".
make sure all the band members are one the same page as to what you'll be doing. also if you mess up dont panic just keep plowin through it
Quote by hide_the_beer
"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

crazy?

Quote by hide_the_beer
Aw man. Out of context! People are going to think I'm crazy.

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

nope
Pull an Eddie Vedder, if you forget the words, mumble, then during solos just climb on ****.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Since you're the singer, work on some conversations between songs. Just something to get the crowd into your show. DO NOT skip the sound check. Otherwise everything might be so out of balance that it's ridiculous...If you're old enough take a shot or two before the show to keep yourself calm. When you're talking on stage make sure not to string all your words together so the audience can understand what you're saying. Make sure to mention your band name and web site a few times through the show. Flyers are good. Have the time, date, and venue on it along with maybe a band photo and your web site/myspace/whatever you're using. Try to get to know the sound guy....some of them will try to do a better job if you're friendly with them...buy him/her a drink or give him a copy of your CD or something. And don't be shy...tell him if you don't like the way something sounds. And try to promote the show in every way possible: flyers, newspapers, blogs, myspace, word of mouth....anything that's open to you.