I'm looking into getting a guitar custom built to my specifications. I don't know how much this would cost, though. So I'm wondering if anyone else knows.

I don't have a budget, so to speak, as I don't have the money yet. I just want to know what I'd be looking at.
Do you have a favorite company? Gibson, Ibanez, Schecter...? It'd help figure out cost wise..
Last edited by IdntNedUrCvlWar at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by IdntNedUrCvlWar
Do you have a favorite company? Gibson, Ibanez, Scheter...? It'd help figure out cost wise..

this. what type of guitar do you want? if you go with carvin, a singlecut (les paul style) will probably run you like 2 grand. a strat type will go for around 1500???

ESP, on the other hand you could pay up to like 10,000. so what exactly are you after?

EDIT

Quote by Chickenparts
Find a builder, send specs, get quote.

thats gunna be alot more exact XD
do what he said
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Last edited by rhoadsfan92 at Jul 1, 2009,
it depends on who builds it

with ESP for example, a simple custom SG/Viper shape would be around $4000

but with a local luthier it could be less than $1000
Quote by Tedward
it depends on who builds it

with ESP for example, a simple custom SG/Viper shape would be around $4000

but with a local luthier it could be less than $1000

This. But, with ESP you get what you pay for.
For example:

Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
go warmoth. as long as you can get over a bolt on neck (which i prefer actually, but people will argue this for hours, so i digress) you can get everything you want (wood types, color, bridge, pickup combo, neck scale, neck woods, headstock shape, control layout) for $800 to $1400 probably. check out their site, make a list of what you want, and email them. they're really really helpful.

if you want a REAL gibson sg it could cost you $30,000 or better to have it custom made.
gibson custom shop is INSANELY priced. here's something from another forum i visit.

I asked them for a price quote for a les paul with a walnut back, koa top, ziricote neck and ebony board. they told me 'only a walnut TOP ebony board, mahogany back and neck is possible, or koa top with ebony board, but for example, no korina back. so, no, really, not a customshop, oh, and the price? 65000$. no error in the zero's).

so depending on woods, $30,000 was a reasonable guess
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
go warmoth. as long as you can get over a bolt on neck (which i prefer actually, but people will argue this for hours, so i digress) you can get everything you want (wood types, color, bridge, pickup combo, neck scale, neck woods, headstock shape, control layout) for $800 to $1400 probably. check out their site, make a list of what you want, and email them. they're really really helpful.

if you want a REAL gibson sg it could cost you $30,000 or better to have it custom made.

actually ya I added up a sick custom Strat from there and it totalled like $1300

but i wouldnt trust myself to put it together
@Shinozoku - That SG is really nice.

@the rest - So the gibson shop is a bit overpriced. I could pay 4k for an ESP, but I couldn't do 30k. That's ridiculous. I don't have that many different specs though. How could I get a price quote?
Quote by Shinozoku

Oh, and +1 to the guy that said Warmoth. A custom guitar from there would probably cost you about $1000 or so, I just added up a custom Les Paul I had thought of, and it was just over $1000. Only thing is, you gotta put it all together yourself.

Edit: Here's an example of a guy who got a Warmoth guitar.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151223

His was about $1250.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 1, 2009,
thats my biggest problem... my strat body should be here in 2 days haha i'm excited, but so nervous about putting it together. there aren't really any great luthiers that i can use around here though
I'm on the ESP custom order site now. I'm just putting my specs in so I can get a price quote

I'd be willing to spend around 7k (give or take) on a custom guitar.

Also could someone maybe get a picture of a Transparent red sunburst finish (just the finish - not on a guitar) if possible? Thanks if you can
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
thats my biggest problem... my strat body should be here in 2 days haha i'm excited, but so nervous about putting it together. there aren't really any great luthiers that i can use around here though

if its just bolt on, you're not going to **** up anything.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Ghold125
contact Ormsby and get a quote from him

i wouldnt. he wanted 4 grand for a strat i tried to order. and an sg will definitely be higher priced than a strat.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by rhoadsfan92
i wouldnt. he wanted 4 grand for a strat i tried to order. and an sg will definitely be higher priced than a strat.

4 grand USD or AUD because $ grand AUD is extremely reasonable and SG's are cheaper to build than strats because they use less wood and don't require a trem route.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Local Luthier - ?

Carvin - $1000+

Everything else - $2500-$4000+
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by alternitivebass
4 grand USD or AUD because $ grand AUD is extremely reasonable and SG's are cheaper to build than strats because they use less wood and don't require a trem route.

AUD, which was still over 3 grand USD. it might have been because i also wanted a scallopped fretboard though...

Quote by conor1148
if its just bolt on, you're not going to **** up anything.

there's a lot of work going into these guitars. people think warmoth's are like the level 2 plastic car models that are harder than level 1 because they don't snap together, they now require glue. take your favorite guitar apart and tell me there's nothing more to do than bolt on a neck.

mounting pickups, finishing, drilling holes, wiring, checking wiring, rechecking wiring because nobody does it right the first time. etc.

EDIT: forgot fret leveling, dressing, and filing, truss rod adjustments, neck pocket angle adjustments (if it's a bolt on) and mounting all the hardware
Last edited by LifeIsABullet16 at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by 1nSingularity
Gibson SG. I want an SG but with different, more subtle specs than the body shape.

I am finishing this up for someone. It is a copy of a Gibson SG Junior in Polaris White. I even put Gibson on the headstock for them.

The pickup is a Lollar which is the best P-90 going, the fretboard is brazillian rosewood and the guitar is honduran mahogany. Finsih is Nirto.

I am doing a Pelham Blue SG Standard right now that I can post pics of as well.

Cost him about 500.00 for me to build this:

I have ordered the stock for the pickguard but have not cut it yet, so the one on the pics is the wrong shape - just for effect but you get the idea.

This is the original guitar I am copying:

Last edited by carl drew at Jul 2, 2009,
going custom is all personal. really if you aren't going to be specific with companies like ESP you will be heading into a bit of a mind**** as you need to really go in and know what you want and know what you get. luthiers on the other hand will be able to explain in far greater details exactly what they are willing to do and not willing to do (infringe copyright) and what is possible and what's going to cost a fortune.

if you really are undecided on whats going into your custom guitar then maybe you shouldn't buy it now until you are absolutely certain of what you want.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
gibson custom shop is INSANELY priced. here's something from another forum i visit.

so depending on woods, $30,000 was a reasonable guess

You're retarded. I have ordered guitars from Gibson SC and even going through a dealer it's 7 -10k
Quote by Ghold125
contact Ormsby and get a quote from him

THIS

Except I don't think he does an SG shape.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray