My Dimarzio Super D only has 3.5k output? Whats wrong with it, it should have close to 14k.

Anyways what pickup should I replace it with? Im currently leaning towards a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion. Opinions, anything I should know about this pickup?

Jamison
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Check solder points? And that's not output, that's DC Resistance, which is basically the approximate number of wrappings of wire in it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Check solder points? And that's not output, that's DC Resistance, which is basically the approximate number of wrappings of wire in it.

All soldering is aye ok captain

Yeah I know its something like that output is just the first think that came to mind...
Gear
Quote by .Jamison
My Dimarzio Super D only has 3.5k output? Whats wrong with it, it should have close to 14k.

Anyways what pickup should I replace it with? Im currently leaning towards a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion. Opinions, anything I should know about this pickup?

Jamison
It sounds like you've wired it in parallel instead of series. If the quoted DC resistance is 14k, that's 7k per coil. two 7k resistances in parallel will be 3.5k.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
It sounds like you've wired it in parallel instead of series. If the quoted DC resistance is 14k, that's 7k per coil. two 7k resistances in parallel will be 3.5k.

looked at the wiring....Changed it to standard. Still its only 5.1...Way Way to low still.
Gear
Quote by .Jamison
looked at the wiring....Changed it to standard. Still its only 5.1...Way Way to low still.
it was 7 minutes from my post to yours.

are you that fast, or are you full of it?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
it was 7 minutes from my post to yours.

are you that fast, or are you full of it?

Im full of it alright...just not what you think... Im bored out of my mind and the pickup currently is setting infront of me with a soldering gun and a multimeter...
Gear
Uhm... Do it again?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
while that makes sense numberwise, it would also mean that the pickup itself was somehow rewired for the coils to be in parallel.

just to make sure, you ARE measuring the pickups DCR correctly, right? Measure the pickup DCR of the pickup disconnected.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by al112987
while that makes sense numberwise, it would also mean that the pickup itself was somehow rewired for the coils to be in parallel.

just to make sure, you ARE measuring the pickups DCR correctly, right? Measure the pickup DCR of the pickup disconnected.

Correct. The pickup is currently not in the guitar. And the multimeter is on the right setting.
Gear
Did you just get the pick up? New or used? Have you tried it in a guitar yet? Why do you have it out with a multimeter, curiosity or did you try it out and it didn't work right?
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Quote by al112987

Or he/she was looking at the wrong wire codes...

Just to clarify; you've got the pickup out of the guitar; white and black soldered together not touching then you're measuring DCR between red and green?

If this doesn't get you the right DCR then something is wrong... Have you blown a fuse in the DMM? How old are the batteries?

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Shinozoku
Uhm... Do it again?
This ^

And this time disconnect the bare wire from any of the coil wires. You might have a short from one of the windings to the pole-pieces. With the coils in series you should get 14k. You should read infinite resistance between any of the coil wires and the bare or baseplate of the pickup. In this case, I suspect you won't, as one of your windings is probably shorted.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by xstillspinninx
Did you just get the pick up? New or used? Have you tried it in a guitar yet? Why do you have it out with a multimeter, curiosity or did you try it out and it didn't work right?

It is very old and has been in a guitar, but recently I've noticed the guitar has been sounding very thin and weak. I took out the pickup and measured the DC resistance and my dad, who is a 15 year experience electrical engineer thinks that it has been shorted out. He read through the wiring diagram and every was we wired the conductors it still doesn't give the 14k that it should.
Gear
If its VERY old, like seventies, I have a feeling the DCR was much lower on those ones. Only going by use experience but I has a guitar with one from '77 and when I put my Bill Lawrence (7.5k) in another guitar, it blew the one with the Super D away. O'm sure so,eome atound here will know the tech spec of the original ones.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

no, more like early to mid 90s
Gear
you have black and white soldered together and you're checking red (hot) to green (ground) ??? that's the dimarzio color coding...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
you have black and white soldered together and you're checking red (hot) to green (ground) ??? that's the dimarzio color coding...

no ****..... its Dimarzio Super DIstortion......
Red(hot)
Green and bare(ground)
Black/white(solder together cause for coil splitting)
Gear
Yea but you could also be a *flubbing* retard and not know the proper color coding. I was just trying to help *removed expletive that rhymes with pip spit*
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 2, 2009,