Page 1 of 3
Whenever I listen to a song I relate it to a color. And I picture the song in my head, like on cheap Audio Players, the swirls and stuff. Like Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, It starts off Red, and then When He starts the Slide Solo it's light Blue, then Dark Blue in the Wah Solo. Anyone else do that?
Synesthesia. You aren't alone. It's my theory that everybody has it, just on varying degrees of intensities. Drugs are not needed in this phenomenon/occurrence.
For some reason when I listen to The Final Countdown I think blue sometimes. It's kinda weird.
Quote by TACOROACH
For some reason when I listen to The Final Countdown I think blue sometimes. It's kinda weird.

Yes! That is a blue song. Haha. And Purple Haze is a Purple song. Even if it was called Haze. It is a red Violet Purple.
Basically I relate albums to the colors and pictures of their covers. For instance, songs from Revolver are black and white, while songs from Abbey Road, well, take place on Abbey Road. Dark Side of the Moon has rainbows and colors against a black background, and Ummagumma is green and painful to listen to.
I do that sometimes,.

I find it easier to associate colours with notes of scales.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Hm... That's what I think....

That's nice. Just don't let it get to your head. Everybody's mind decrypts information in different fashions, just keep that in mind. I see colours when I taste things, hear things and smell things (which can be tied to tasting somewhat). Just remember me, you, or some other person with an intense experience of synesthesia are not some select special group. Everybody experiences it. Those who experience it on a weak sensation use drugs to help elevate the experience. That's all there is to it, I believe.

I think I relate sounds to memories and images more, although sometimes I do see colors when I hear a certain thing.
Quote by Zaphikh
That's nice. Just don't let it get to your head. Everybody's mind decrypts information in different fashions, just keep that in mind. I see colours when I taste things, hear things and smell things (which can be tied to tasting somewhat). Just remember me, you, or some other person with an intense experience of synesthesia are not some select special group. Everybody experiences it. Those who experience it on a weak sensation use drugs to help elevate the experience. That's all there is to it, I believe.

I don't experience it.

Not even taste-smell and the two senses have a huge impact on each other.

I suck
Yeah man, I have the same thing. With my bands songs, I see some red, some really dark black and blue and some grey...my drummer thinks I'm insane..
Quote by !@#$
Basically I relate albums to the colors and pictures of their covers. For instance, songs from Revolver are black and white, while songs from Abbey Road, well, take place on Abbey Road. Dark Side of the Moon has rainbows and colors against a black background, and Ummagumma is green and painful to listen to.

Yes that too. That is why DSOTM is my favorite album.
Money feels green, time is yellow, Breathe is Green Blue, On the run as pink and purpleish...
I think this adds to my dyslexia that no one believes I have for some reason. Idk.. I'm good at making things go backwards too. If that means anything to anyone haha. Haha is red.
Quote by RU Experienced?
I don't experience it.

Not even taste-smell and the two senses have a huge impact on each other.

I suck

No. You don't suck. I theorize folks who are in the similar life-experience as you just experience it on a negligible level. Something that your conscious state does not detect. Your mind still has to process information without your approval, and it does it in a fashion that you do not recognize (nothing to be ashamed of, as nobody can fully understand their own minds). That's all. But that's only my theory. I could be wrong for all I know.
TS, your color-per-letter/number system reminds me of one of my best friends.

=_=

On topic, I have my electro genres color-coded. House is violet, general dance is blue, trance is white, hard trance is red, techno is orange, DnB is green, and hardcore and hardstyle are black.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by RU Experienced?

This. I get it abit.

The other week i got a really synth like tone with my guitar and effects and for some reason i know this as a 'pink/purple' tone. I never really thought about it till the other day when i noticed i assigned colours to sounds and songs etc.
Quote by Zaphikh
No. You don't suck. I theorize folks who are in the similar life-experience as you just experience it on a negligible level. Something that your conscious state does not detect. Your mind still has to process information without your approval, and it does it in a fashion that you do not recognize (nothing to be ashamed of, as nobody can fully understand their own minds). That's all. But that's only my theory. I could be wrong for all I know.

no i think you're right.

I never thought i had this thing till i noticed recently that i did infact apply colours to sounds and songs. It had just been something i never noticed.
I think the album cover sort of chooses the colours of the album for me. If there's blue in the cover has blue all over it I'll obviously hear blue in it. But that's just me.
For some reason i relate alot of progressive metal songs with alot of jazz elements as green,like a very green forest,and the sky is a very very shiny white that looks totally awesome when it touches the trees.That says either im insane,i should direct music viedos,or ive played too much zelda in my life.
Quote by JacobTheMe
One time I saw a flower and said "Thats pretty."

My dad responded "Pretty gay..."

There is a serious thing about this? I always thought I was just weird. My old bandmates used to get annoyed when I would say something like "Needs more yellow in the bridge."
Quote by JacobTheMe
There is a serious thing about this? I always thought I was just weird. My old bandmates used to get annoyed when I would say something like "Needs more yellow in the bridge."

that's great haha.

^^? What does it equal?
1 is white
2 is yellow
3 is red
4 is green
5 is orange
6 is blue
7 is dark blue
8 is purple
9 is orange
10 is grey
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by JacobTheMe

And for good reason. It's arrogant to assume people know how your mind mind works and you just start giving orders as to what to do without explaining what it means. As everybody's experience with synesthesia is subjective and never the same, and laden with affect as well.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
that's great haha.

^^? What does it equal?

<_<

Humorously ironic.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Zaphikh
And for good reason. It's arrogant to assume people know how your mind mind works and you just start giving orders as to what to do without explaining what it means. As everybody's experience with synesthesia is subjective and never the same, and laden with affect as well.

I always did explain in detail what I meant, but I said it more in a sense of that "We need to change this like..." but not knowing what to say" feeling.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I always did explain in detail what I meant, but I said it more in a sense of that "We need to change this like..." but not knowing what to say" feeling.

Perhaps what was beautiful and more yellow to you was horrific and disgusting to somebody else in the group. It's all subjective, and laden with affect. That's all I'm trying to say. Even if you successfully explain it to them, it still may be repugnant in the mind of somebody else in the group, even if they don't consciously recognize it in that manner. It may just not "sound good" to them in the end. And that's all that matters in the end: Does it sound good or not. And to whom? What position of authority are they in the group? Just some thoughts...

Quote by Zaphikh
Perhaps what was beautiful and more yellow to you was horrific and disgusting to somebody else in the group. It's all subjective, and laden with affect. That's all I'm trying to say. Even if you successfully explain it to them, it still may be repugnant in the mind of somebody else in the group, even if they don't consciously recognize it in that manner. It may just not "sound good" to them in the end. And that's all that matters in the end: Does it sound good or not. And to whom? What position of authority are they in the group? Just some thoughts...

Well I got kicked out for being "weird", both personality and musically.

So...

Thanks Zaphikh!
I associate songs with smells. Like I'll smell something and say "this smells like this song". it's weird
Usually my thoughts on the color of songs are influenced by the album cover, other times it's completely random. Ex-Creations for example is green to me. Informal Gluttony is a yellow/gold and Lash by Lash is a dark purple. I guess Zaphikh is right about it.
You probably have synesthesia (sp?). It's really cool actually, associating letters/numbers/notes with colors. Mozart supposedly had it, it's reported that he thought a certain notes were certain colors and it would help him compose. People with synesthesia sometimes use the colors to help them remember how to spell certain words and such.

I kinda wish I had synesthesia, because there are no real bad sides to it, and it's awesome.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Page 1 of 3