Hi all
I was wondering if any of you know if you can put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in a 1956 Epi Goldtop reissue instead of the p90 in bridge position.
they're going to be different sizes, unfortunately. a P90 route is wider than a normal humbucker or single coil route. so you could do it, but you'd have a weird hole and lots of space around the pickup
Swineshead make two humbuckers that fit P-90 spacing. The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop can also make P-90-sized-humbuckers to order at a high premium. Alternatively any companies make 'stacked' P-90s that sound kind of like minibuckers, not as articulate as a P-90 and not as loud and thick as a humbucker but in-between, and mostly hum-less. Not all guitars can take stacked P-90s though as they require deeper pickup routings.

Generally speaking if you don't want P-90 tone, don't get a guitar with P-90s.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Swineshead make two humbuckers that fit P-90 spacing. The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop can also make P-90-sized-humbuckers to order at a high premium. Alternatively any companies make 'stacked' P-90s that sound kind of like minibuckers, not as articulate as a P-90 and not as loud and thick as a humbucker but in-between, and mostly hum-less. Not all guitars can take stacked P-90s though as they require deeper pickup routings.

Generally speaking if you don't want P-90 tone, don't get a guitar with P-90s.

you can also fit mini humbuckers into a P-90 routing via a P-90 sized mount ring. although you'll need to drill new holes for the height adjustment screws. Gibson did this on the les paul deluxe.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't EMG pickups only active? I don't really want an active pickup.
Also, i heard they sound bad on solid state amps, and that they're good for almost only metal,
Quote by Firebirdz
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't EMG pickups only active? I don't really want an active pickup.

EMGs can come in active and passive. I don't know how many types of passives they have, besides the HZ's.
Quote by Firebirdz
Also, i heard they sound bad on solid state amps, and that they're good for almost only metal,

They're known for their actives. 81s are mostly good for metal, 85s, 89s, and 60s are all more versatile, their single coils aren't metal-oriented at all.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
The EMG passives arent very good. Only p90 passive they have are the same as the H4 humbucker. What tone are you trying to get that you want a humbucker in the bridge?
Since i play hard rock and metal i want to have a humbucker in the bridge position.
The bands in these genres i like most are GnR,Led Zeppelin,AC/DC and Metallica.
I want a bridge humbucker with moderatley high output,so i can get a hard rocking tone.
Does anyone have any advice?
Last edited by Firebirdz at Jul 1, 2009,
:\ A P90 gives the perfect tone for what you are looking for, why would you want to change? Is it just the lack of hum you want?

Edit: Well, maybe not metallica, but if you have a hum-cancelling P90 and a nice amp, it is not out of reach. I heartily reccomend Dimarzio, check out their website for hum-cancelling P90s. They offer their Super Distortion and Tone Zone models in P90 form, and unlike the Duncan custom shop they are well priced at around $75.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Firebirdz
Do Seymour Duncan have hum-cancelling P90's?

Yes, but not as much as Dimarzio. Seymour duncan just has their P90 Stack (STK-P1), which is basically the same as what you have, only hum-canceling. If you want higher output or more options, Dimarzio has around 3 hum canceling models, two of which (afore mentioned) are high output.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Just be aware that stacked P-90s might not fit in the guitar since they need deeper pickup routings as they are taller pickups. If the guitar is routed for normal P-90s (which if I recall correctly, the Epi Goldtop is) the pickups will be higher than the fretboard, it'd be literally unplayable.

Swineshead make two humbuckers in P-90 sizes that are normal P-90 dimensions and are true, proper humbuckers; they make one based off their Condor model humbucker which is a low-output fairly standard humbucker (good for the neck position; it's around the same spec as a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro) and one based off their Warthog model (high-output overwound Alnico V pickup, kind of in the same range as a SD JB or Custom 5 model but with a more balanced tone and just a shade less output so it's still clear enough for decent clean tones when needed).

However, I still question why the hell you'd buy a P-90 guitar if you don't want P-90 tone. The Epi Goldtop was discontinued last year because it wasn't selling well, for the exact reason that most people don't want P-90 tone and changing the pickups out on a P-90 guitar is too hard if you want a humbucker tone. Epiphone now make the Slash Goldtop instead which has humbuckers. Of course you could also just buy a Standard.
Then there's all the other copy brands like Rally, Vintage, Agile, Tokai, Indie and in a way ESP, most of whom make some form of humbucker-equipped Goldtop LP style guitar.

Also if you're using a solid state amp then changing from stock pickups to aftermarket pickups is going to do ****-all for your tone. You amp dictates much more of your tone than anything else does and unless you've got a moderately good all-valve amp, you're not going to notice any difference in tone between similar pickups. It's also worthless you looking at high-output pickups as those are made to naturally drive valve amps harder, not solid state amps.

Valve amp first, then worry about your guitar. When you do get round to it, skip the P-90s, it's clearly not what you want or what's suited to you so why buy something that is going to cause you extra hassle and expense with more limitations.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
P-rails!
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate