I've been playing guitar for 7months now, playing alot of iron maiden, megadeth, black sabbath, srv, zz top, and some Van Halen. I can solo decently now and time my notes well, but I downstroke a good chunk of the time, only alternate picking gallops and tremolo picking. Any way I can break this habit? The flip side being my down stroke can hit a note or chord at any time at great speed and it being the most comfrotable way to strum.
My Guitars-
ESP LTD EC-1000 (my big papa axe)
Mexican Fender Stratocaster (my blues baby)
Laguna le 122 (hunk of crap)

Amp-
Peavey Vypyr 75

Pedal-
Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
Try stroking up.

Yeah sry if that sounded harsh or trying to be funny but it's the only way really. Pay attention to what you're doing and alternate those picking movements.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
O help iron maiden solo's after 7 months?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N

did I say I was Jesus on strings? No. But yea I have tried watching my self with up strokes, but I never have the same accuracy of my down stroke , or maybe Im just retarded with strumming haha
My Guitars-
ESP LTD EC-1000 (my big papa axe)
Mexican Fender Stratocaster (my blues baby)
Laguna le 122 (hunk of crap)

Amp-
Peavey Vypyr 75

Pedal-
Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
Slow down a lot and re-learn the songs with alternate picking, or practice alternate picking exercises.

Actually there isn't really a best solution, just slow it down and focus more on your right hand.
It's great to have speed using only downstrokes. And that may be what you want, depending on what type of music you play. But it can be very limiting.

To get a grip on alternate picking set your metronome to a slow to moderate speed (you do have a metronome, don't you?) and play some simple scales using alternate picking. The minor pentatonic or major scales are perfect for this.

You can start with quarter notes - 1 note per beat - and once that is comfortable go to eighth notes - 2 notes per beat. Increase the speed slowly as it becomes more comfortable.

It doesn't matter how fast or slow you start, just be sure to focus on getting an even sound. You don't want one direction to sound different than the other.

Also, and I can't overstress this, be sure that you are in time with he metronome. If you find yourself off just focus and get back with the beat. It's all about control. If you practice sloppy you will always play sloppy.

You will find that the alternate picking gets pretty easy after only a little while. You will also find that your speed will increase very fast for about the first 2 or 3 months. then you will hit a wall! Increasing your speed will take a lot more work after that. But hey, you've got the rest of your life to practice and get better. Isn't, that great?
Last edited by axeman41 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by 08L1V10N

wait. are you saying iron maiden solos are hard or easy? after 7 months?
Quote by BlockishFool
did I say I was Jesus on strings? No. But yea I have tried watching my self with up strokes, but I never have the same accuracy of my down stroke , or maybe Im just retarded with strumming haha
They won't have the same accuracy at the moment - you've been practicing down strokes for 7 months longer than upstrokes! Its just practice. If you don't believe it, try turning your guitar round and downstroking left-handed (assuming you normally play right handed). Thats what all your downstrokes were like 7 months ago.
Iron Maiden solo's are hard. After 7 months I probably couldn't even play Nothing Else Matters solo
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by 08L1V10N
Iron Maiden solo's are hard. After 7 months I probably couldn't even play Nothing Else Matters solo
He never said he was playing Iron Maiden solos, he just said he could solo, and everyone progresses at different speeds - you can't judge other people based on your own abilities.
alternate pick things that make sense to like the Rust in peace intro. Or the trooper. it will eventualy feel natural if u always do it
GEAR:
Vox AD30VT XL
Jackson DK2M Dinky Trans. Black
Fender G-Dec
Razorback DB Black
EHX Metal Muff
Originally Posted by Kaasflipje
Metallica. I don't get what's so awesome about Master of Puppets.

he's awesome because he pulls strings