dont fine them, it's stupid
9 6%
undecided
7 5%
WTF MERKEL IS LIZARD PEOPLE WTFBBQ
39 25%
Voters: 153.
Page 1 of 3
I have a suggestion. How about we create an institution that punishes the media for false information?
I'm sick and tired of hearing about things that are false, and things that are just plain stupid. The media is always looking for the next "danger" to try and scare the **** out of everyone because it sells more than a report saying "yep, everything's pretty cool right now". For instance, during the whole Avian Flu thing, not once did I read in a newspaper that avian flu is pretty much irrelevant to humans in western society because the virus dies when you cook meat, and read alot of blatantly false stories, like how some guy supposedly caught avian flu from his canary and died (it was later found out to be a false report)

so anyway, what do you think? I know that we already have institutions that monitor the media, and I totally despise censorship, but for totally wrong information, I think media forms should be fined. I mean, if I went out onto the street and started passing out flyers that said that the german chancellor is a lizard and that killer bees are coming, I'd probably get fined for trying to spread panic, even though this is something the media does on a regular basis.
I agree.
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Cannibal Holocaust.

Whoever completely gets this one is a genius, or something similar.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
How would they be punished? like actually, fines would be hard to enforce
Oh **** I gotta do vibrato
did anyone happen to see the recent Colbert Report with Goldblum? he came on specifically to inform the world that he was not dead, and the person who started these rumors went by the Twitter name of "Delishishair" which was quickly swept up by the media.

yes i do i hate the media a lot and feel that false information should be fined.
that sounds awsome. you need to throw in the media about famous people too though .... there the same dying organic matter as us so they shouldnt get special news reports.
rise against fan

Quote by Andrea55
My favorite anteater.

Quote by trueamerican
Not only do you have good taste in music, but you have good taste in politics
Yeah I agree with this.

Whoever runs the media should be arrested in my opinion.
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Last edited by RazorTheAwesome at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Salmon86
How would they be punished?

be forced to pay a fine and admit that they published false information, thus losing credibility
I, for one, am still waiting to get swine flu and die along with millions of others in a global pandemic. It's kind of shocking how one day the headlines are "swine flu!" and the next it's "bar mat mum's family not allowed to visit America" or what not.
Quote by Rokeman
I, for one, am still waiting to get swine flu and die along with millions of others in a global pandemic. It's kind of shocking how one day the headlines are "swine flu!" and the next it's "bar mat mum's family not allowed to visit America" or what not.

exactly. ever notice how BSE hasn't been mentioned in the papers for years, even though it still exists and the risks far outweigh those of avian and swine flu?
Quote by CoreysMonster
be forced to pay a fine and admit that they published false information, thus losing credibility

What do mean by 'we'? Other than the government, its hard to go around doing this to the media
Oh **** I gotta do vibrato
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
did anyone happen to see the recent Colbert Report with Goldblum? he came on specifically to inform the world that he was not dead, and the person who started these rumors went by the Twitter name of "Delishishair" which was quickly swept up by the media.

yes i do i hate the media a lot and feel that false information should be fined.

Colbert is awesome. and u my friend, are awesome as well
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I saw that, it was amazing. i love the Colbert Report.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by Salmon86
What do mean by 'we'? Other than the government, its hard to go around doing this to the media

no, that's what I meant, a government institution whose job it is to prevent the spread of false information and panic-inducing stories
Quote by DirtyMakik
Cannibal Holocaust.

Whoever completely gets this one is a genius, or something similar.

Um...you mean the fact that people thought that movie was a real snuff movie?

If not then I don't know what you are talking about.
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by chaoticfables
I agree with this system.

But did you start this after hearing that Rick Astley was falsely announced dead?

no, actually, I was watching the south park episode "two days before the day after tomorrow", and the news reporter kept on stating ridiculous things like "over 600 billion people have died in chicago" and stuff, and even though it was exaggerated on the episode, I know that many news firms exaggerate facts on purpose to get higher ratings.
TS, nobody can force you to watch television. It's all the viewers choice to do so. I wouldn't blame anybody except for the viewers themselves for rotting their brains.
Quote by Zaphikh
TS, nobody can force you to watch television. It's all the viewers choice to do so. I wouldn't blame anybody except for the viewers themselves for rotting their brains.

I'm not only talking about TV, but radio and newspapers too.
Quote by CoreysMonster
no, that's what I meant, a government institution whose job it is to prevent the spread of false information and panic-inducing stories

Win.

All I can say, I agree completely i guess.

Is there a reason why the media uses scare-tactics on people? Is there an aim?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm not only talking about TV, but radio and newspapers too.

Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see
Quote by splamron
Win.

Is there a reason why the media uses scare-tactics on people? Is there am aim?

Quote by Zaphikh
Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see

I dont trust anything I hear from the media, and research anything that seems important to me on various sources before I declare it a fact. unfortunately, most people dont do this
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by CoreysMonster
no, actually, I was watching the south park episode "two days before the day after tomorrow", and the news reporter kept on stating ridiculous things like "over 600 billion people have died in chicago" and stuff, and even though it was exaggerated on the episode, I know that many news firms exaggerate facts on purpose to get higher ratings.

I see what you mean.

But it's quite impractical. We're just an internet forum. Not even 4chan can manage this, I don't think.

Actually it's mostly 4chan that spreads false information >.>
Quote by billybusa
Um...you mean the fact that people thought that movie was a real snuff movie?

If not then I don't know what you are talking about.

Nope.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
i think blatantly disregarding the news is an excuse for being uninformed. sure, some of it is wrong, but to be an informed citizen you need to have some idea of what is going on in the world. theres really no other alternative besides the news.
I have no opinion on this matter.
fine the assahole that etell liees to poepl they are in teh wrngo
it spisds me ogf when poeple believe stuf thea t is wrognt o be truth

**** focx nesw
Everything you said is true. The media will always print half-truths/lies/whatever. People will lap it up, no matter how far-fetched.

But to be honest, I don't really see why this is a huge problem. I mean, TV stations need to get views, and no one is going to watch a news anchor say "we cannot comment at this time" while TMZ is cranking out 15 possible reasons why Michael Jackson's kids aren't his.
Last edited by lzcougarz3 at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by coryklok
fine the assahole that etell liees to poepl they are in teh wrngo
it spisds me ogf when poeple believe stuf thea t is wrognt o be truth

**** focx nesw

coryklok is fucking tripping
Quote by Zugunruhe
i think blatantly disregarding the news is an excuse for being uninformed. sure, some of it is wrong, but to be an informed citizen you need to have some idea of what is going on in the world. theres really no other alternative besides the news.

Yes.
Quote by splamron
Win.

Is there a reason why the media uses scare-tactics on people? Is there an aim?

fear is the greatest tool you can employ in ANY situation. if someone is afraid they will do WHATEVER you want. this includes reading your story, or watching it on the news. thus why the history channel ran that bull**** "doomsday" show with all the scary scenarios like pandemics and asteroids and volcanos and crap, because their ratings have dropped lately and nothing makes you tune in more than "H3Y! L00K 0V3R H3R3! L0TS 0F PPL R GoNA D13 S00N!!!1!!21!1"

then people watch, and they hear "0MGZ B1RD FLo0!!12121!1!1411!" and immediately enter panic mode and continue watching the show and reading the newspaper to find out what is (not) going to happen.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 1, 2009,
But the press IS fined for publishing false information. It's called misinformation of the public or some shit. That the law isn't always applied is another story.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm having my morning drink of vodka atm

ahh
yolur cheatign on your diet :pl:
lol sall ogod :chere:
But the press IS fined for publishing false information. It's called misinformation of the public or some shit. That the law isn't always applied is another story.
they are? I know for a fact it's not the case here in Germany.
I think the law should be extended to sensationalism, also. there's no reason for trying to raise panic just to get better quotes.
basically, everyone involved in media is a Troll. they know the **** they say will get people upset, thus by force of human nature making those people pay attention to them. thus raking in cash.

"h3y w3 g0tz sUm n3w L34dz fr0m "s0urc3z" n sh1t"
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 1, 2009,
to be honest, TS, I was too distracted by your avatar to read your arguments.
How can i forget the way you led me through the path into heaven to leave me behind?
Quote by CoreysMonster
I dont trust anything I hear from the media, and research anything that seems important to me on various sources before I declare it a fact. unfortunately, most people dont do this

like what sources, exactly?
I have no opinion on this matter.
Page 1 of 3