I am a beginner and have acquired two guitars, a steel string acoustic and a flamenco guitar .

A friend who plays said I needed to keep them in a hard case when not playing because the necks will warp if I don't, this sounds strange, so, before I ruin either one, do I need to keep them in a hard tight case when not in use?

Thanks!
It is best to keep them in a case to prevent from warping, unless you have the perfect temperature to keep it out in the open...a.k.a. not too and not too cold.
Laminate guitar: Not really
Guitar <$300: Probably.
You need to be able to control humidity on acoustic guitars. It also helps for traveling. I wouldn't have a $300+ guitar in a gig bag when I transport it. My Yamaha F335 though I just keep on a stand and shove in my gig bag when i go out with it.
I never knew that acoustic guitars under 300 (specially since I've never even had a guitar over 200 because my budge has always been quite low, now job, etc.) could warp if not kept at the right humidity... I thought they did... kinda on their own =P So keeping them in a hardcase could be safer... what the heck..

But yes, if you'll be taking that guitar out of your house, unless you don't care about it getting cracks and dents, or if you trust yourself to be very careful (like me =D) you should get a hardcase. I just don't have the money for it.
Quote by ILLcoyote
I never knew that acoustic guitars under 300 (specially since I've never even had a guitar over 200 because my budge has always been quite low, now job, etc.) could warp if not kept at the right humidity... I thought they did... kinda on their own =P So keeping them in a hardcase could be safer... what the heck..

But yes, if you'll be taking that guitar out of your house, unless you don't care about it getting cracks and dents, or if you trust yourself to be very careful (like me =D) you should get a hardcase. I just don't have the money for it.

Well the fretboard could crack from being really dry. That however is usually because you didn't oil it at all. The part that "warps" is usually the top or back because they are made of solid wood. all solid wood guitars (Top, sides, back) have this biggest danger and therefore should have a humidifier depending on the humidity in your room. Usually that means cold winter days or when you have the heater on. Solid top (only) guitars i believe dont have the problem quite so much, but its still a big issue. Laminate top guitars....dont even worry about it at all.
That being said, I would have a case and a humidifier for my (future) Seagull S6. I dont need one for my Yamaha F335 though. I would have a case for my Seagull just for the fact I dont want anything at all to happen to it when I'm moving it around. My Yamaha is good enough in a gig bag because I take good care of it though. If something DOES happen to it however, it wouldn't be quite so bad.
i know people who have had guitars in stands for years without any problems or neck warping. of course, they don't live in really dry or really humid locations, and what stand you use could matter - some stands don't touch the neck at all.

also if you have humidity that works you could hand the guitar on the wall.
I've never used a humidifier or put maintance on ANY of my guitars for the past 5 years =P Then the only acoustic i've ever had (besides the cheap nylon guitar I got a few months ago) was a guitar that was at $29.99 on musicians friend at the time =P And boy did the neck BUST lol. but the electric... non maintance whatsoever =P
Quote by ILLcoyote
I've never used a humidifier or put maintance on ANY of my guitars for the past 5 years =P Then the only acoustic i've ever had (besides the cheap nylon guitar I got a few months ago) was a guitar that was at $29.99 on musicians friend at the time =P And boy did the neck BUST lol. but the electric... non maintance whatsoever =P

Yeah really, change the strings once in a while and if its a rosewood fretboard, make sure to oil that twice a year. Maple fretboards don't even need the conditioning. I'd still recommend a hard shell case for one of those though. They are rather easy to crack if you bang it on something. I'd never trust a normal gig bag with an electric guitar.
Depends where you live and what the humidity/temperatures are where you are keeping the guitar. The optimal conditions are room temperature and between 40%-60% relative humidity. If you can keep your guitar in these conditions then you can leave it out for as long as you like.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Well, if you're going to be taking your guitar anywhere out of your house, I highly recommend having a case for it, preferably hardshell. As for the humidity issue...listen to Cap, he really knows what he's talking about when it comes to this stuff.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
My honest to God advice would be to put them in a case for travel only, but leave it out of the case as much as possible when you're at home. I know some people are probably getting a little irked by that and saying OH HEY SOMEONE COULD DENT IT MAN, hear me out a second. Leave it out of the way, but in the open where you can see it quite clearly and have immediate access to it. Why? So you will PRACTICE! XD

If you leave your guitar in your case all day, you'll walk by it and think to yourself, oh I shouldn't bother I'd have to open it up and tune it and blah blah blah, and you'll find yourself talking out of practice all day. Instead, leave it on a stand in a cool, dry place with low humidity like your basement and every time you walk by it you will think "OH HAI I SHOULD PLAY SOME TUNES ", rather than "Oh I'd have to dig through the case and tune it and find my sheet music...". Trust me. If I didn't do this I'd be lucky to get in 5 minutes of practice a day. My guitar is right next to my computer so hell if I'm just gonna leave it when I'm at my desk! Hope that clears things up a bit.
improvsolo has a good point. I just got a second stand for my acoustic so I had easy access to it though. I do know that people do get lazy about practicing because they dont want to take it outta the case.
@improvsolo - I do the same thing. I leave my guitar out on the stand during the summer months when relative humidity is at acceptable levels in my house. Otherwise, it's case & humidifier during the winter months.

@obeythepenguin - One reason why you may play your acoustic more than your electric is that you still need to plug in your strat to an amp, whereas your acoustic can be played... acoustically, LOL.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention about leaving your guitar out during the summer. You MUST AVOID 2 things:

1. Do NOT put your guitar next to an air vent. It will dry out your guitar.
2. Do NOT let your guitar sit in direct sunlight. It will cause UV damage to the finish as well as warming up your guitar. Possibly weakening the glue joints.
Equipment:

Quote by obeythepenguin
You have a good point there, but I have a counterargument. My Strat sits on a stand next to my computer all day, while my 12-string (as does my regular acoustic) stays in its case. Since I downtune my 12-string, I not only need to get it out of its case, but capo it to get to standard (and usually adjust the capo a bit since the A strings tend to buzz). I almost never play the Strat, but I typically play the 12-string at least 2-3 hours a day.

In short, your little psychology trick is helpful for beginners, but once you've gotten into the habit, the benefits of having a decent case far outweigh the minor inconveniences. Of course, it also helps in my case that I have a really cheap electric guitar amp, a really nice 12-string, and an obsessive and perfectionistic mentality, but hey, whatever works for you right?

Yeah, I know exactly what you're saying; In my room, my strat sits on it's stand all day (unless i've recently gotten back from taking it somewhere and haven't dug it out yet, you know?) and my acoustic sits in it's case all day, mainly for it's own protection. The case sits very close to my strat, so I just have to open up the case, and start playing. However, putting it on a stand instead of in a case would work better for beginners for the exact reasons obeythepenguin said. But usually if you're a beginner you're guitar isn't something like a....1940's Martin or something.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Wow, I did not know about all that. My acoustic guitar (costed 140$) is always in the gig bag (even in the house).
Last edited by Blue_lavander at Jul 5, 2009,
Quote by Blue_lavander
Wow, I did not know about all that. My acoustic guitar (costed 140$) is always in the gig bag (even in the house).

Yeah, you probably wont have a problem since its highly super likely that its a laminate top and therefore you dont really need to worry about humidity since our guitars are made out of plywood.... (Well mine is really good plywood but still >_> )
I've had my Ibanez acoustic for about 7 months with zero warping at all.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most Ibanez acoustic guitars aren't made of solid wood. As well, warping is usually a subtle matter. You need a perfectly straight edge to determine whether or not your guitar is warping.
Equipment: