Are there any such chords that won't sound like merely noise to 90% of people that hear them?

edit: now that I think about it I would assume there are quite a few 5 note chords that sound cool, but what about more notes like 6 to 12 (7/12-string guitars? lol)
Last edited by shaf_9110 at Jul 1, 2009,
Depends if you're talking different notes like A through G# or you're including octaves.
Well x9, x11, x13 to start with have (5, 6, 7 notes respectively) however it is quite common to omit the 5th. There are many more like that and if you know how to use them they won't just sound like 'noise'. (i'm guessing by noise you mean horrible as I'm sure music is noise!)
There's plently of great 5 note voicings for guitar chords. 6 notes I'm having a bit more trouble thinking of nice ones...I'll get back to you on that one. But generally such chords would sound a bit cluttered, yes. Very often on guitar, when the chord contains 5 or more notes, it's stripped down to less notes while still communicating the basic sound of the chord. For example 13th chords, which fuly formed contain 7 notes (obviously impossible on a regular guitar) might be stripped down to something like this:

----
----
-7--
-6--
-5--
----
-5--

Merely 4 notes, but still recognisable as a 13th due to the key intervals still being in there.

Oh and I thought of a lovely 6 noter:

-11--
-12--
-11--
-11--
-11--
-0--

No doubt there's more out there...anyone?
^13th chords played with a big band
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Yes. Here's a C13 with 6 notes

-10-
-10-
-9-
-8-
-8-
-8-

It needs at least a bass instrument played with it.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Nice. I prefer the sparser voicing I posted above, or at least to leave out the A string, but still pretty cool. All those stacked 4ths make it sound a little muddy though don't you think? Hard to find non muddy 6 string voicings I think.
Quote by Beserker
^Perhaps he would like to know some. I'm having trouble finding 6 note chords that sound good on guitar. What are your suggestions?

My suggestions are to make use of these two ideas -

A) Close consonant intervals are nice.
B) Dissonant intervals can be displaced by octaves.

Teach a man to fish and all that. If you're interested in seeing how a master uses extensions and voicings check out Holdsworth transcriptions and have a whack at those chords.

And sound good is ridiculously vague... I love cluster chords (just finger consecutive b2s) but I doubt they're what the TS is after. That's part of why I'm not just tabbing stuff here, although I'm aware that's probably what everyone's after.
Quote by Beserker
Nice. I prefer the sparser voicing I posted above, or at least to leave out the A string, but still pretty cool. All those stacked 4ths make it sound a little muddy though don't you think? Hard to find non muddy 6 string voicings I think.
Stacked fourths are usually okay... unless the two lowest notes are stacked fourths. Thus the need for a bass instrument.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Freepower
My suggestions are to make use of these two ideas -

A) Close consonant intervals are nice.
B) Dissonant intervals can be displaced by octaves.

Teach a man to fish and all that. If you're interested in seeing how a master uses extensions and voicings check out Holdsworth transcriptions and have a whack at those chords.

And sound good is ridiculously vague... I love cluster chords (just finger consecutive b2s) but I doubt they're what the TS is after. That's part of why I'm not just tabbing stuff here, although I'm aware that's probably what everyone's after.

Well it's very hard to know what you're getting at if you don't provide any examples at all. Fair enough to not give it all away, but just a little something to get the ball rolling would be appreciated.

I love Holdsworth's wacky voicings but I haven't found anything over 5 notes yet. For those cluster chords, when you say consecutive b2s, do you mean as in a fully chromatic A Bb B C kind of chord or would somthing like this qualify?

----
----
-0--
-4--
-0--
-6--

Quote by demonofthenight
Stacked fourths are usually okay... unless the two lowest notes are stacked fourths. Thus the need for a bass instrument.

Yeah, right enough. I guess I should have referred only to that.
Last edited by Beserker at Jul 1, 2009,
^I've always wondered that, like would there be an actual chord name for something like this

or would you just call it a cluster or something?
I've been able to come up with some good voicings of X13 Xmaj13 and Xmin13 on my seven string, which include all seven tones.