i just got back from the midnight showing and i thought the movie was great.
johnny depp did a pretty good job as dillinger.
so what does the pit, or those of you who saw it, think about this film?
BASS! HOW LOW CAN YOU GO?
DEATH ROW. WHAT A BROTHER KNOWS.

Wait...

*leaves thread quietly*
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Wait...

*leaves thread quietly*

Quote by alaskan_ninja

Wait...

*leaves thread quietly*

Quote by alaskan_ninja

Wait...

*leaves thread quietly*

I lol'd
Quote by 1201ZJ
Well this calls for a beer, Uncle-Dad Cletus!

Quote by EchoxOath
HAAAAA! Jokes on you! I high fived you with the hand i fapped with!
I thought it would be better... a couple of my friends actually fell asleep during it, was alright overall though.
Public Enemy > Public Enemies
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
TURN IT UP! BRING THE NOISE!

Looks good, I'll probably go see it, shit looks so cash.
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by teachmeviolence
Public Enemy > Public Enemies

In The Presence Of Enemies > Public Enemy > Public Enemies
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

I liked it but I never felt connected to it. You never found out who John Dillinger was, you just saw little characteristics. Then again, the film is more about the crime wave than Dillinger's life so this is kind of unfair to say. Still, I felt disconnected a lot.
And i wanted to see more of Channing Tatum as Pretty Boy Floyd! He was good in that 5 minutes, wasn't he?
Honestly, I love Johnny Depp but his performance in this movie was not THE best. Christian Bale deserves that honor. Christian Bale had me shivering in that last scene when he started lighting his cigar. The most I felt from Johnny was, "Damn, he's good" (not enough to be blown away though) or "I can see SOME similarity in he and Dillinger."or "Man, he has cool hair."All this stuff is being thrown on Johnny Depp this film and he is one of the greatest actors of all time and is a big star, despite the fact he doesn't want to be, but where is the publicity (for lack of a better word) and praise for Bale and Marion Cottilard?
Oh, the cinematography was BRILLIANT. I have never seen a more fascinating film in terms of camera work. In that case, it's the greatest film I've ever seen. It was astonishing.
So come Oscar season, I want t see a richly deserved Supporting Actor nomination for Christian Bale and the Best Cinematography gong for Public Enemies.
Good movie, worth the time
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Wait...

*leaves thread quietly*

Thinking the same thing.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
I really enjoyed it.

it was well paced, complex, but not hard to follow, very well directed, and as usual with Michael Mann, it had superb gunfight set-pieces.

I thought all the performances were solid and better, with Marion Cotillard (I am obsessed with her recently haha) an Christian Bale coming out on top. Depp was on form, but he didn't quite have the brooding, Southern menace that Christian Bale managed to capture. I agree with whoever said he should get a Supporting Actor nomination. I think Marion should definitely get some recognition, too, she was wonderful. And for once, Depp seemed slightly stunted, only slightly.

I would have liked to see more of Stephen Graham - who played Baby Face Nelson - purely because he's one of Britain's finest young actors (watch This is England and you'll see), and is superb at playing tormented psychopaths. Some more depth on Nelson would be have been much appreciated.

The cinematography was interesting, to say the least. It was filmed in HD video, which I know loads of people criticised. On the whole it worked well, it added a certain bite and realism to the scenes, combined with much of the high-contrast visuals it did look cutting and striking. But, in the faster paced action sequences it did feel a bit creaky, and made it feel almost cheap.

But still, I greatly enjoyed the film, I'll definitely buy it when it comes out in the winter.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I felt it was a little low in production quality. Cameras constantly shaking, lighting wasnt that great. Made it feel like an ametuer production. Besides that, pretty good plot. I give it 3 stars.
I have wanted to see this film since i saw posters for it, i love Michael Mann films (i ignored Miami vice) and think the actors in the film are all great, but i haven't had the chance to see it yet.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
christian bale was soulless. i don't understand the praise for him at all. calling stephen graham's baby face nelson a tormented psychopath is already giving him one more dimension than he had in the film. he was just obnoxious and crazy, as a foil to dillinger's cool demeanor.
Quote by NGD1313
top contender for biggest disappointment of the year.

+1

The adverts made it seem like it was going to be a fast paced film, but it was the opposite, it was slow moving and in some parts just verged on boring. The camera work got annoying for me, the constant handheld shots from people who can't hold a camera straight and steady made it look like something from youtube.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by NGD1313
christian bale was soulless. i don't understand the praise for him at all. calling stephen graham's baby face nelson a tormented psychopath is already giving him one more dimension than he had in the film. he was just obnoxious and crazy, as a foil to dillinger's cool demeanor.

I'm talking about the type of characters Stephen Graham plays well. Which that character could have been made into.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by NGD1313

Christian Bale's character, Melvin Purvis, I believe does deserve the praise. Purvis' own son said that Bale WAS his father (not literally BTW).
But I do agree that there was really no character development. However, it wasn't really a biopic on a specific person. It was more about the crime wave.
Quote by freddaahh
I'm talking about the type of characters Stephen Graham plays well. Which that character could have been made into.

eh, i guess that could've been more interesting, but i didn't find graham's performance in this is england particularly life changing, so i don't know if he would've really been too effective as a tormented psychopath.

Quote by Splashed
Christian Bale's character, Melvin Purvis, I believe does deserve the praise. Purvis' own son said that Bale WAS his father (not literally BTW).
But I do agree that there was really no character development. However, it wasn't really a biopic on a specific person. It was more about the crime wave.

then his father was a very, very booorrring man. the only time i cared even the tiniest bit about his character was when he rescued marion cotillard from the interrogation. he might as well have been a robot for the rest of the movie .
Last edited by NGD1313 at Jul 27, 2009,
Quote by NGD1313
eh, i guess that could've been more interesting, but i didn't find graham's performance in this is england particularly life changing, so i don't know if he would've really been too effective as a tormented psychopath.

Ahh, I thought he was superb in This is England, and very good in that miniseries Occupation recently. Regardless, he was underused in this film.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife