I'm considering bringing my guitar with me on holiday because I'm away for 5 nights and I'd like to play some guitar.

Anything that I have to consider or preparations I need to make if I decide to take it on the plane?
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Last edited by iSlash at Jul 1, 2009,
i fly with my guitar all the time... if u got a hardcase...mark it fragile and send it at baggage... if u got a soft case...take it on board and either keep it with u or keep it on the compartment on top, but make sure to tell the flight attendant to disallow anyone else from keeping stuff in the same compartment...hope that helps
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
Check with the company to see if they allow guitars as a carry on. If they do, great, put it in a soft case and when you're on the plane, ask the flight attendant if they could put it in the coat closet (if she won't, then try to get there early enough to have the overhead compartment for it). If they don't allow it as a carry on, then this is what you need to do.

Get a hard case.
Stuff the hard case with paper so that the guitar doesn't move at all when it's shut.
Make sure to take your trem bar off.
Pray. (or cross your fingers if you don't belong to a religion)

That or try to gate-check it. If you google it, you'll find out that it's where you get to put it in a special area where they hand place it in the plane cargo hold instead of getting to watch your guitar get thrown around by the baggage boys. Also make sure to get a Fragile sticker on the hard case for either option.

Hope this helps, I've been reading a lot about it since I'm flying to New Orleans next summer.

(Oh, and on an unrelated note, if you remember me from caws.ws, I might be getting unbanned from there soon. JayDee said he wants me and the others unbanned, but I have to talk to Tom about it since he has no say over who's banned and who's not.)
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 1, 2009,
^Oh yeah. I remember you, you got banned? I wondered why I stopped seeing your posts.

I forgot to mention that I have an acoustic, but I'm sure much of this applies.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Quote by iSlash
^Oh yeah. I remember you, you got banned? I wondered why I stopped seeing your posts.

I forgot to mention that I have an acoustic, but I'm sure much of this applies.

Yeah, I got banned. Although if I didn't get banned, I probably wouldn't have signed up here and started taking guitar seriously, so yay for that I guess.

The acoustic is a little bigger, but I'm sure that what I said applies towards that as well. Although with that you might want to get/use a hard case either way.
Definitely try to take it on with you. Ask what kind of plane you´re going to be flying on. If it happens to be an AirBus then you are very lucky because guitar cases fit very easily into their overhead compartments. Many airlines allow you to store guitars in closets and the such if they are too big for the compartments, but that can be a gamble - call ahead and ask what the situation will be for that.
I just checked the airline's website and it seems like I have to use a hardcase and put it in with the checked in baggage as guitars dont exactly fit the onboard baggage regulations that they use for instruments as well.

My main worry is that it'll get lost somewhere as I'm taking a connecting flight via Kuala Lumpur.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Quote by Fate_of_Mind

Guitars never fit that. When I traveled between Germany and the US twice, plus a couple connecting flights, I was always able to bring my guitar. I got them to label my violin as a personal bag like a laptop, despite being way too big. Then my guitar - which is a huge soft case that fits two bass guitars - was called my carry on luggage. On the airbus they both fit easily in the overhead. In the smaller planes I gave my guitars to the attendants who stored it seperate from the baggage. They put it in the plane right in front of me, and took it out and handed it to me the moment we landed.

Ignore the regulations and talk to some people - you´d be surprised what you can get done.

Not to mention my carry on baggage was about 20kg overweight.