hey, so, im just a UG noob and i wanted to make a guitar from scratch, but i got no idea how to start.

ill probably do the making in my school where they got tools and stuff and they might help me with the wood. if i save some money i could put decent pick ups and bridge, but now im still very lost.

also if you know a website of how to build a guitar because you dont wanna post, please do.
Join the Guitar Religion
Last edited by igordubai at Jul 1, 2009,
first, you probably want to figure out what shape you want, then go into neck constructions, tonewoods and pickup configurations.
i'm not sure whether to report this or not.

Go buy melvyn hiscocks build a guitar book and do some google searches. Project guitar is also full of tutorials

You can't just ask, I'm going to build a guitar, how do I do it?
You tell us, your the one whos building it.
you might look into getting a plan. they have free ones and there are some you can buy.

what can we help you with?

check out some of the guys builds on this forum. watching how someone else did it is very helpful.
Last edited by Sonic Blast at Jul 1, 2009,
i was thinking of designing my own shape but if i dont come up with anything i will use the super strat shape like my brother said.

i just made the thread 5 minutes ago and theres many posts, thanks guys
Join the Guitar Religion
who are you talking about guitar cam??
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
oh don't worry, its two brothers.

The TS started the thread asking questions then some other dude (his brother) stated the specs...

TS, what would you like to know?
so, questions:
What woods are you thinking of?
What music do you want this guitar to be able to play?
Are you buying or making the body and neck?
What tools do you have?
ok, i dont know which tools to use, though i can get help from my Design Technology teacher, and also, would it be too hard for a beginner on building(me) to build the neck, or should i order one?
Join the Guitar Religion
I suggest you build your own neck. I personally haven't done it yet, but it seems really easy.

Tools:
Bandsaw
Router
Router Bits - Ball bearing template bit, roundover bit
Drill Press
Rasps and files
Spokeshave
Jointer and Thicknesser(if your buying rough stock)
Random Orbital Sander
Angle Grinder
Chisels

All of this stuff is in the resource thread at the top
Last edited by guitarcam123 at Jul 1, 2009,
mate no offense but you don't seem to know what your doing at all i would suggest making something simpler before trying a guitar neck like maybe a spice rack xD
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
thats good, now i at least have more understandin, lol
ill see if they have those tools at my school (probably not, because my school is cheap ****)
if they dont theres a construction store right next to the school, so that helps, thanks
Join the Guitar Religion
i think i will buy a guitar building book, the problem is they dont sell anything good about guitars where i live, so when my dad goes to the US ill get it from there, so i know the steps and all.
Join the Guitar Religion
Last edited by igordubai at Jul 1, 2009,