I was wondering, I like the sound i get from the humbucker on my guitar and i like the sound from the two single coils in the neck and middle position for clean tones but i would like to have a single coil in the bridge position. My question is, would it be possible to somehow split my humbucker into two? would i be able to make my own coil tapping humbucker? I still want the humbucker there, its just it would be nice to have more choice with the sound i can make.
Take a look at the wires coming from your pickup. If there are 4, it will be easy to split it. If there are only two, then it can still be done, but it's much more involved.
so would i be able to keep it as a humbucker but have to add a switch or one of them tone/volume controls that you can pull to coil tap it?
Yes if you have 4 wires comming out of your pickup it can easily be done. Check out seymourduncan.com's wiring diagrams, they should have one for you. As long as you can solder, it will be easy.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by muckypup
I was wondering, I like the sound i get from the humbucker on my guitar and i like the sound from the two single coils in the neck and middle position for clean tones but i would like to have a single coil in the bridge position. My question is, would it be possible to somehow split my humbucker into two? would i be able to make my own coil tapping humbucker? I still want the humbucker there, its just it would be nice to have more choice with the sound i can make.
we don't know what your guitar is or what HB you have at the bridge.

A more specific OP yields better replies.

Quote by cedricsmods
Take a look at the wires coming from your pickup. If there are 4, it will be easy to split it. If there are only two, then it can still be done, but it's much more involved.
This ^

Please note that if there is only 1 wire + shield (two conductor) "much more involved" is gonna be way over your head. In that case, best to replace the pickup with a 4 wire version if you want to wire it for a split option.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I have not got the money to replace pickups, if i did i would get a dimarzio that coiltapped itself. And thanks JoePerry4life and cedricsmods, i will take a look at the seymour duncan website.
Always a pleasure to help! Also, posting pictures of your pickup and the wiring coming from it helps us help you.
If you do find that you have a 4-conductor pickup, another option you might consider is wiring the switch to toggle coils in series (normal humbucker) and coils in parallel. Parallel sounds more single-coil-ish but is still humcancelling. It is similar to position 2 or 4 on a strat. Either coil-split or series/parallel can be done with a push-pull pot or a DPDT toggle switch.
well if you only have a 2 wire pickup, you can convert it to a 4 wire one. check out this tutorial here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1144316
though as Jim says, dont do this if you dont feel confident or if you dont have a backup pickup. though if you mess up hopefully you can scrape together like $25-30 and get a cheap something from GFS.
I just looked my pickups up and found out i have a Wilkinson WMSHB humbucker and two WMS single coil pickups. Would the humbucker be ok to coil tap?
How many wires are coming from the humbucker? One wire containing a smaller wire and a shield? Or 4 wires? I tried running a Google search and I found pictures of your pickup, but have not found out how many conductors it has. You need to unscrew your pickup and find out.