It´s because they almost always fall out of tune really easily. You can usually dip without problems, but not straight out divebomb.
It's not that you're not meant to, more that most people don't, because it doesn't always have the same effect as using a floyd. Also Vlasco is correct, without locking tuners/locking nut, it'll go out of tune.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Yeah, if it stays in tune that´s great. I have only had one two point Strat trem that I could abuse a lot without it falling from tune... 6 point always fall out of tune for me unless I have the springs super super tight. And Wilkinsons are just great to me most of the time.
Because of the differeing post and bar heights, a Strat vibrato physically can't dip as far down as a Floyd Rose can anyway. You can 'dive' about an ovtave on the low E if the guitars' set up correctly and you use light gauge strings, but of course most people doing whammy antics use thicker strings and rarely do they have their guitars set up in perfect pro-jazz condition.

Then there's the tuning issue.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Also they wont really dive bomb that well. the strings wont lose as much tension as a proper floyd rose
Quote by MrFlibble
Because of the differeing post and bar heights, a Strat vibrato physically can't dip as far down as a Floyd Rose can anyway. You can 'dive' about an ovtave on the low E if the guitars' set up correctly and you use light gauge strings, but of course most people doing whammy antics use thicker strings and rarely do they have their guitars set up in perfect pro-jazz condition.

It gets low enough for me. I don't even use divebombs all that much. And I'm set up with light gauge strings I believe.
what i've found is that the strat trem works best with 5 springs and heavy gauge strings. This is probably because the strat was originally developed in the 1950s when there was no such thing as light gauges. perhaps the trem has 5 hooks/holes for the springs for a reason? my MIM strat's trem was terrible when it had 3 springs but i gradually moved up to 4 and then 5 when i increased the string gauge and that seems to have worked really well. Now it can be used in a "mature" manner and hold tuning exceptionally well but i haven't yet tested divebombs.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i have a 6-point strat trem on my $100 starcaster and it stays in tune for weeks. literally. i touch the bar to the body several times everytime i play. its wonderful. i love that guitar. i have the stock nut and tuners. just make sure the strings are wraped around the tuners correctly and with as FEW wraps a possible. and making the nut slots a bit wider can help too, along with putting some graphite (pencil lead) dust in the nut slots. i reallly dont understand why everyone says strats dont stay in tune, mine works PERFECTLY.

EDIT: and i use 3 springs and heavy tops/light bottoms.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I can get my 6 point to stay in tune if I tighten the springs a lot so that when I let go of the trem it lands against the body. The 2 point I have works great, but I´ve gone through many others before I found one that worked.
Quote by f22master
i have a 6-point strat trem on my $100 starcaster and it stays in tune for weeks. literally. i touch the bar to the body several times everytime i play. its wonderful. i love that guitar. i have the stock nut and tuners. just make sure the strings are wraped around the tuners correctly and with as FEW wraps a possible. and making the nut slots a bit wider can help too, along with putting some graphite (pencil lead) dust in the nut slots. i reallly dont understand why everyone says strats dont stay in tune, mine works PERFECTLY.

EDIT: and i use 3 springs and heavy tops/light bottoms.

I have a starcaster too and when i dump the trem the low E goes down a half step... that won't do much to affect your tuning stability. And it's in D standard with .10 gauge strings and 5 springs in the back lol.
if the bridge is made out of cheap materials then you'll more then likely start to wear away the metal around the whammy bar hole. it happened on my sx previously.