Ok so I have finally narrowed down my choices to 2 guitars which I will pick up next week.

Schecter Blackjack ATX (Aged Black)
Seymour Duncan Active Blackout Humbuckers
Ebony Fretboard

or

Schecter Hellraiser (Gloss Black)
EMG 81TW/89
Rosewood Fretboard

The shop can sell them to me for exactly the same (800$ for the guitar and a free Hard-case)
I play Metalcore - Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Haste The Day, August Burns Red .etc.
Which guitar would be a better choice for me ?
Also pls give your opinion only if you have played both
Last edited by Aditya_ram at Jul 1, 2009,
Go play them and decide by yourself. It is a matter of preference tbh. Some people dislike EMG, some prefer rosewood to ebony, and so on.
i cant play em dude
I live in India and u dont get either of em over here. Just the low end Schecters
So my dad is picking it up from Schecters official Dealer in Beijing
any advice ?
I would go for the Blackjack. Mainly because for the ebony board, and IMO, superior pups.
Quote by cleft11
I would go for the Blackjack. Mainly because for the ebony board, and IMO, superior pups.

This. I own the BlackJack myself and must say it is a little superior to the Hellraiser. Maybe it's because I despise those EMG's...

HOWEVER, remember this is my opinion only. Blackouts and EMGs are both active pups, so it's all going to narrow down to which sounds better to you. Nevermind what we say, get your ass to GC brother.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by TheJem
Nevermind what we say, get your ass to GC brother.

He's in India, no GC there.

Go ATX.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by DespisedIcon
He's in India, no GC there.

Go ATX.

Woops...and I read the thread too.

Go ATX then, if the majority here likes that guitar over the Hellraiser, it must be better.

However, if you could go on multiple guitar forums, ask the same question, and calculate the results that would be even better, my guess it will be the ATX though.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
i haven't played them but i will still give my opinion.

now you cant try them so im going to assume you have a guitar that has a rosewood fretboard(as they are more common).

i would choose the hellraiser as it has a rosewood fretboard and as you have played on one before, you will like the feel of the fretboard just fine and cant go wrong (because you cant try it, if you get an ebony fretboard you might dislike it. is it really worth the risk?). the pickups, both have their advantages and different sounds. EMG's would get a sound similar to those bands you named so again, i would go for the hellraiser. and finally, the hellraiser has coil taps which is good for versatility and is able to get you alternative sounds.

as for the feel, im pretty sure they will feel basically the same. they are both in the diamond series.

so if i were you, i would pick the hellraiser. oh, and it looks cooler imo. white with the abalone binding (ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhh).

also, im planning on getting one so i might be a little biased (although im trying not to be). but what i said all makes sense to me.
Quote by wildozer
so if i were you, i would pick the hellraiser. oh, and it looks cooler imo. white with the abalone binding (ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeahhhhh).

First person to ever like abalone on UG, ever.

His post was definitley something to consider so look in to it.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Quote by TheJem

Go ATX then, if the majority here likes that guitar over the Hellraiser, it must be better.

Stupidity of this point is really surprising.
I would go for the hellraiser as I prefer rosewood fretboard, and EMG's at 18v mod.
Quote by r4ster
Stupidity of this point is really surprising.
I would go for the hellraiser as I prefer rosewood fretboard, and EMG's at 18v mod.

Why, what's wrong with this forum's opinion? There are some retards but there have been some very decent comments for this trhead.

For Christ's sake, UG isn;t that bad.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
ive played them both and i like the blackjack better. Its all preference, but i like mediocre ebony to mediocre rosewood. Also what amp do you have? blackouts and emgs are two totally deferent beasts
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by r4ster
Go play them and decide by yourself. It is a matter of preference tbh. Some people dislike EMG, some prefer rosewood to ebony, and so on.

its indeed a matter of preference

OFFTOPIC: HA i have a 120gb iPod Classic, pwnd
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
How does the Jumbo Frets of the ATX vs the X-Jumbo of the Hellraiser play a difference ?
through your line 6 neither will really sound good. go stick with something that has passive pickups imo.
depends more on the amp you have than on the guitar thought i say go for ATX
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
i've heard both emgs and blackouts (which is the only real difference between the guitars) in real life and i personally feel that blackouts are a lot more fuller sounding than emgs.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
through your line 6 neither will really sound good. go stick with something that has passive pickups imo.

where is it said he has a line 6?
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Hellraiser looks so much cooler, plus EMG's kick ass so yeah
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
I'd go with the Blackjack, really nice guitar IMO, I never really liked Hellraisers...
My gear:
-LTD EC401VF DMZ LD
-Ormsby Run 3 Hype GTR
-Yamaha C40M
Quote by Aditya_ram
But which guitar has better Cleans ? And Which would suit Metalcore more ?

i've said it once and i'll say it again any guitar can do metalcore as long as the user (you) knows how to ****ing play the instrument. and through your amp they'll probably end up sounding the same anyway.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
i've said it once and i'll say it again any guitar can do metalcore as long as the user (you) knows how to ****ing play the instrument. and through your amp they'll probably end up sounding the same anyway.

ill say it again...how do you know his amp? he hasnt said what it is in the thread, and its not on his profile?
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by Metlhead443
ill say it again...how do you know his amp? he hasnt said what it is in the thread, and its not on his profile?

it's a line 6 spider and it's been mentioned previously in his threads unless i'm thinking of a different indian fella.
Quote by wildozer
i haven't played them but i will still give my opinion.

now you cant try them so im going to assume you have a guitar that has a rosewood fretboard(as they are more common).

i would choose the hellraiser as it has a rosewood fretboard and as you have played on one before, you will like the feel of the fretboard just fine and cant go wrong (because you cant try it, if you get an ebony fretboard you might dislike it. is it really worth the risk?). the pickups, both have their advantages and different sounds. EMG's would get a sound similar to those bands you named so again, i would go for the hellraiser. and finally, the hellraiser has coil taps which is good for versatility and is able to get you alternative sounds.

as for the feel, im pretty sure they will feel basically the same. they are both in the diamond series.

also, im planning on getting one so i might be a little biased (although im trying not to be). but what i said all makes sense to me.

Who in the history of the world has ever disliked an ebony fretboard?

I'm not talking about preferring rosewood/maple over ebony but actually disliking it.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
I have all 3 [fretboards] the feeling (to me) is the same.

I have a ATX aged black. Only problem with it is over time the areas your body contacts the guitar gloss over. I recently bought another Ibanez S. But, when I do go for another Schecter I am getting the gloss white Hellraiser.

I love my ATX everything except the active symbol on it. I can live with it. If it had a plan ebony fretboard it would be the ultimate tho.
Ibanez.
Either way, you're picking a Schecter, which will always be good.

Take a pick, you'll be happy either way.
You can get the ATX C-1 for $669 and the Hellraiser for $699 at www.themadape.com. I found that site to sell them for the cheapest so that's where I ordered my ATX from. (Should be here soon...)
Quote by James13v
Who in the history of the world has ever disliked an ebony fretboard?

I'm not talking about preferring rosewood/maple over ebony but actually disliking it.

sorry. dont get too picky. im just giving him the facts to help him decide. maybe he will prefer one over another then.
lol this thread is quite old. I have already bought a Blackjack ATX and no regrets