I have recently started to record some of my playing but the quality is dreadful. This is probably because im using an intergrated sound card and the mic from rock band . I want to improve this but I have no idea where to even begin. I don't exactly have a budget because I dont even know what I'll need. If I need to do any upgrades on my computer, I am able to do them. I had a read through the sticky but it kinda raised more questions than answered them for me
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
You can either use the line out from your Vyper 15, or mic up either of your amps.

For the first, you would just need an audio interface (USB 2.0, or if you have the port on your computer and the cash to buy one, a Firewire 400 interface would be better). 1/4" cable from Line Out socket to audio interface Instrument input; USB or FW cable to PC.

For the second, you would need a mic along with the interface. Preferably it would be a good-quality mic. Dynamic mics such as the Shure SM57 require more volume or more gain at the preamp (the mic input on your audio interface); and condenser mics such as the Rode NT1a require 48v phantom power on the audio interface to power the mic.

On your PC or Mac you would need recording software, which depending on your budget could be free (Audacity) or not (Cubase, Ableton Live for PC; Logic for Mac).

To get a more accurate idea of what your recordings sound like, you could also invest in some monitors, which are speakers that are made to give a flat frequency response (as opposed to normal desktop speakers which try to make the sound as pleasing as possible). These would be made by KRK or Genelec etc depending on your budget. You could use headphones, but it's recommended that you use monitors for mixing and mastering.
get you a reducer that reduces your 1/4 jack to a 1/8 inch line it out from amp straight into mic port on uur computer should help wonders
Quote by blue_strat
You can either use the line out from your Vyper 15, or mic up either of your amps.

For the first, you would just need an audio interface (USB 2.0, or if you have the port on your computer and the cash to buy one, a Firewire 400 interface would be better). 1/4" cable from Line Out socket to audio interface Instrument input; USB or FW cable to PC.

For the second, you would need a mic along with the interface. Preferably it would be a good-quality mic. Dynamic mics such as the Shure SM57 require more volume or more gain at the preamp (the mic input on your audio interface); and condenser mics such as the Rode NT1a require 48v phantom power on the audio interface to power the mic.

On your PC or Mac you would need recording software, which depending on your budget could be free (Audacity) or not (Cubase, Ableton Live for PC; Logic for Mac).

To get a more accurate idea of what your recordings sound like, you could also invest in some monitors, which are speakers that are made to give a flat frequency response (as opposed to normal desktop speakers which try to make the sound as pleasing as possible). These would be made by KRK or Genelec etc depending on your budget. You could use headphones, but it's recommended that you use monitors for mixing and mastering.

yeah that too lol
As upgrades to your PC go, ideally you would have at least 1GB of RAM or as much as you can afford.

Also, in this day and age a dual-core or quad-core processor would be ideal; though not essential.

If you want to go the whole hog and swap out hard drives, a fast 7,200rpm or 10,000rpm hard drive would speed things up.
I'd probably mic up my amps, so i could record my bass also. I can get get some firewire ports easilly enough. Could i use the same mic for recording bass and guitar? I use this computer for games also so i already got 2gb ram and a dual core processor.
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15

7>6!
Bump

Mah gear

Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15

7>6!
Another bump

Mah gear

Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15

7>6!
Get a Shure SM57 dynamic mic and you can record guitar, bass, acoustic, drums, vocals etc all pretty decently; though it's best on guitar, bass and snare drum.