I have narrowed my choices down to two guitars; the Cort X-custom and the Dean Vendetta 4.0.

Dean
Pros: Amazing neck, neck-through construction
Cons: Stock pickups, no coil-tap

Cort
Pros: Seymour Duncan 59 and JB pickups, Coil-tap
Cons: Expensive, thick neck, the coil tap doesn't give convincing single-coil tones

I mainly play shred, death metal, black metal, blues and jazz. I cover artists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Emperor, Arch Enemy, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Eric Clapton, and Jimi Hendrix

I play through a Line 6 XT Live and a Roland Cube 15. Which guitar is better? And can the Dean pickups sound good for shredding? I tried both and I can't make up my mind so I need other people's opinion.
If u like how the dean plays i suggest that you buy it and maybe change the pickups later
don't buy the cort if you don't like the neck.
Hmm... I always my Line 6 XT Live, so will a pickup change have a great effect on my tone considering the fact that the pedal is a digital processor?
Quote by Waffleguy
If u like how the dean plays i suggest that you buy it and maybe change the pickups later
don't buy the cort if you don't like the neck.

+1
The tone is my main concern at the moment, I think I can adjust to a neck after a few days of playing a certain guitar. Will the Dean give a good shred tone with the XT Live?
The 4.0's supposed to receive OFR's sometime in the near future, it would be worth waiting for it if you're looking at the Floyd'ed version
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
The 4.0's supposed to receive OFR's sometime in the near future, it would be worth waiting for it if you're looking at the Floyd'ed version

I actually Floyd Rose bridges, or any type of floating bridge. I prefer the fixed bridge model because I change tunings quite often, and it doesn't get in the way of my picking hand.
i much prefer cort guitars as they seem to be more bang for your buck but the dean doesn't seem to bad and the cons you listed are easily changed unlike the cort.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
i much prefer cort guitars as they seem to be more bang for your buck but the dean doesn't seem to bad and the cons you listed are easily changed unlike the cort.

Would installing a coil-tap in the Dean be expensive?
go for the dean. just swap out the pickups. off topic though...how do you like your pod xt live?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Maybe just get a jackson, they are pretty good and have thin necks and most come with seymour duncan pups
Quote by jags482
Maybe just get a jackson, they are pretty good and have thin necks and most come with seymour duncan pups

The Jacksons available where I live are extremely overpriced, and don't have any decent features other than their necks.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
go for the dean. just swap out the pickups. off topic though...how do you like your pod xt live?

It's a great pedal that fits every style. I wrote a review on it, it's got all the details. The bottom line is that it's worth every penny, and you won't regret getting one.
Quote by cruc1a7
You would need new pickups

To get a good shred tone or to install a coil tap?
shred tone can be obtained from your amp settings and amp, but the coil tap would probably involve gettin the pups rewired and rewound so you might as well buy new pups as over in the UK a decent rewind of a pickup costs £65 per pickup.
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
It depends if the pickups are 4-wire or 2-wire leads. I'm not sure which the Dean has but you'll need 4-wire for coiltapping
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by nav00
shred tone can be obtained from your amp settings and amp, but the coil tap would probably involve gettin the pups rewired and rewound so you might as well buy new pups as over in the UK a decent rewind of a pickup costs £65 per pickup.

Don't the pickups have any effect? (consider the fact that I'm using an XT Live).

Also, I've never owned a neck-through guitar, so is there anything I should know about it regarding maintenance?