Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my current guitar or get a new one and could use some advice. I currently have a Kramer Focus Strat HSS copy that only has the humbucker (guy who sold it to me took out the single coils). For around $200, am I better off getting three new pickups for that guitar or getting something from Rondo Music or Guitar Fetish?

Also, any advice on what pickups to get for most versatility? Play mostly classic rock, some blues.

Thanks.
Quote by jumbolaw
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my current guitar or get a new one and could use some advice. I currently have a Kramer Focus Strat HSS copy that only has the humbucker (guy who sold it to me took out the single coils). For around $200, am I better off getting three new pickups for that guitar or getting something from Rondo Music or Guitar Fetish?

Also, any advice on what pickups to get for most versatility? Play mostly classic rock, some blues.

Thanks.

Chances are you'll get a better sound by acquiring a new amp.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Here's a picture from before it was modded to be HSS, I'm not sure how old it is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/enb/401957765/

I use a Frontman 10G, pretty lousy amp but I wasn't sure how into guitar I was going to end up being when I got it. Turns out I love it.

Was also thinking of upgrading amp. I don't gig or anything, just want something that sounds good at home. Possibly this? http://shop.firstact.com/PublicStore/product/30-watt-1X10-Guitar-Combo-Amp,560,143.aspx

or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944831-i1168996.gc

I basically have $300 to spend between guitar and amp.
Just moving past the true beginner stage. I like to play Beatles, CCR, Phish, Coldplay, Guster, AC/DC. What I don't play is country and heavy metal.

I like how it plays but there's a ton of buzzing. Is that the amp or the pup?
Quote by jumbolaw
Just moving past the true beginner stage. I like to play Beatles, CCR, Phish, Coldplay, Guster, AC/DC. What I don't play is country and heavy metal.

I like how it plays but there's a ton of buzzing. Is that the amp or the pup?

It is probable a grounding problem in the pup which is an easy fix.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
The buzzing can be a number of thing... the guitar, the pickups, the wiring in the guitar, amp settings, the amp itself.
How high did you have the gain on the amp?

The Vox is a very nice practice amp, and even gig-worthy in some cases. They are pretty much perfect for what you play!

If it still buzzes, then I would take it to a guitar tech and get the wiring looked at.
Buzzing definitely decreases when I turn the gain down, but even on the clean channel it's there.
Man, I didn't expect so many practical responses! I guess the background to this question is the guitar gifts will be coming from my fiancee as my wedding gift from her. So, if ever there was a time to be a little impractical it's now. I guess I didn't realize how much of a difference a good amp would make though.