I'm thinking either the Marshall AVT100XT or the Marshall DSL 401. I have tried both of these amps in the shops in the shop now for prob like 1-2 hrs all up now lol with my guitar, hooray for Billy Hyde's sound proof rooms! Constantly switching between the amps in this time i stil can't decide which one i like more.

I like the DSL clean channel more and the crispyness of its overdrive. However the AVT has a kind of deeper sound which reminds me more of my favourite band Nightwish... escpecially when the handy scoop function is enabled.

I feel that the DSL is more of a rock amp, however i like the fact that it is valve. Because of this the AVT seems more suited to metal, however it is not as clear and crisp sounding, it is barely noticeable in comparison however.

I like metal music but i want to be able to play other stuff if need be. I don't really play any shows atm only at Tafe (college) but they have their own equipment. I'm thinking if i get a head and cabinet im gonna have to play in the garage all the time as there is no more room in my bedroom now i have my keyboard.

I have a Line 6 POD x3 so that has all the effects i need so i'm more just looking for a good quality kind of amp.

I'm thinking the Amps i mentioned before for recording and practice mainly...

My favourite bands include Nightwish (fav) , Linkin Park Turisas is that gives indication of the sound i like.

Thanks alot for reading and the advice you give, i hope i made it easy enough to read, i copied some stuff from another thread i made about some other amps i was thinking about...

Thanks alot!
Personally, I'd go with the DSL. But I'm a self proclaimed tube snob. If you can't feel the difference from tubes to SS, then maybe tubes aren't a big plus for you. You, unlike 90% of people on here, have actually tried both and compared, so...

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Ive seen both in the shops the dsl will cost $1189 Australian and the AVT probs $1100 but i don't mind the difference so im not taking it into consideration. My original budget was a grand. I had a marshall MG series 30 watt before this, i tried out a VOX VT50 compared to a Marshall AVT50 and liked the Marshall better.
i had the AVT150 it was sh*t for metal, cleans wernt that good either in my case, the AVTs a hybrid amp meaning it has one valve in the preamp just for notice, also i think that both those bands you mencioned (sp?) use Tube amps, a 40 watt tube amp is extremly loud by the way.

from a guy that owned a AVT i would say get the DSL... just my $0.02... even tho im from the Uk
Get the DSL, without a doubt it is much better. If you want metal sounds, EQ your amp differently and buy an overdrive to boost it if you feel it is lacking in gain. The DSL would be a far more satisfying purchase.
the AVT is a terrible quality amp. take the DSL and maybe buy a digitech bad monkey, and you can use that pedal to add more to the amp's gain. another option though, since you have a PODxt, is use the PODXT's distortion/amp models and buy an atomic reactor amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by greggybhoy
Get the DSL, without a doubt it is much better. If you want metal sounds, EQ your amp differently and buy an overdrive to boost it if you feel it is lacking in gain. The DSL would be a far more satisfying purchase.

+1.
I tried em both out again today, this time i used a BOSS metal pedal? It was like $200 dollars Australian to buy, anyway i tried using this with the DSL and it seemed more like what i was looking for, though it still lacked that lower end and heavyness the AVT100 has. Then i tried the pedal on the AVT100 and it was awesome.

I feel the DSL seems to be a rock type of amp not metal, however the guy thinks it would be better with playing in a band.

Thanks alot for your help so far guys!
those Boss Metal pedals are god-awful. Trust UG on this one. If you want a decent metal pedal then look into something like an EHX Metal Muff, or even a DS-1.

Stop going on about the DSL being more of a rock amp. Bands like Nile, who are both crap but extrememly heavy (trollL0lZZz!!!11!) use them. Listen to the guy in the guitar shop (this time only - they usually try to sell you crap). Also, at that price difference, you would be getting severely ripped off for the AVT. Especially since it's not as good.

Make the right choice.
Thanks alot for your help, i think its just the deeper end of the sound the Marshall has that i like, is there any other amps apart from these anyone could reccomend?
The DSL has better tone, but I really don't like the 401 at all. It uses EL-84 tubes, which is most definitely why it doesn't sound as heavy as the head versions.

That being said, I'd still take the 401 over an AVT anyday.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The DSL has better tone, but I really don't like the 401 at all. It uses EL-84 tubes, which is most definitely why it doesn't sound as heavy as the head versions.

That being said, I'd still take the 401 over an AVT anyday.

O so there are different valves which give a heavier sound? I get it, im a wow strong noob at this incase u didn't already pick that up.

To be honest i have always leaned towards the avt whilst using it in the store after constantly switching between them comparing sounds, i think i was trying to convince myself i liked the valve one better probably because everyone says i should get valve one and that valve amps are better than valvestates. Maybe its the solid state sound that i like.

Does anyone know of any Valve Amps (preferably combos) within like the $2,000 Australian price range, which are better for the metal music I am refering to?
Quote by SergeantSound
O so there are different valves which give a heavier sound? I get it, im a wow strong noob at this incase u didn't already pick that up.

Generally, amps with EL-84s are lower gain, but there are some that have tons of gain. It's more so in the sound they produce. They don't have as big and tight of a sound as the DSL head has with EL-34s instead, which makes it sound a bit weak imo.

Maybe see if you can try it with an overdrive pedal. Set the gain/drive to 0 and the volume to max and run that over the distortion channel. Should tighten it up a bit and give it a bigger lowend.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by greggybhoy

agreed

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.