yes. How do i pull off guitar solos and make them sound good and full in a 1 guitar band? No looper pedal, no 2nd guitarist. Bass, drums, guitar. How did Jimi or EVH do it?
I think it sounds better soloing over a bass line than it does over just a second guitar.

So easily? I'm not sure, could you describe your difficulties in more detail?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
If the drummer and bassist is good at backing, it should be no problem
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Have a good drummer and bassist. Have a tone that will cut through the band (that means don't scoop your mids too much). If you want to sound "full," you probably can't play as melodically. Don't take long pauses between phrases. Using lots of double stops can help too. And don't drag your solos on for too long.
you think thats hard? my band used to be just guitar and drums hahah

the key is making your solos have rhythm and feel familiar to the main riff
look at Deep Purple solos

but with bass you have a little more freedom to solo as long as your bassist provides good backing to the soloing
It's easy to do to be honest, you don't need to have a second guitarist to fill the space if your bassist and drummer can do it. Just solo. If you feel you need to have a second guitarist, get one, but yeah.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
your bass player just needs to step it up a bit. go listen to some pantera solos. rex really steps it up and plays some killer bass lines while dime was just shredding it up.
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Quote by Cheesepuff
yes. How do i pull off guitar solos and make them sound good and full in a 1 guitar band? No looper pedal, no 2nd guitarist. Bass, drums, guitar. How did Jimi or EVH do it?

they just played really. there's no secret. clapton when he was with cream said he tried to hit more open notes and double stops to try and fill out the sound a bit. but he didnt always do that either. if you have a bass player who knows how to play more than just root notes, and a good drummer, it should be fine. even though it sounded fine with cream, clapton always was displeased with the sound. so its all opinion.
haha i used to have a band with guitar/drums and yeah its not a good idea to pull off a long solo.. solos in this way sound a bit... empty.. i mean there aint a background and... you cant repeat the phrase you played once again (when the bassist or rythm changee the chord and it sounds beautiful) but withbass it sounds pretty fine...
and yeah just doso your bass would be listenable... and play the solo it's ok... and it sounds cool may be use some delay which will add more of a background
rock on
A GREAT bassist is what makes a good 1 guitarist band sound great. Floods by Pantera.. just Dimebag's amazing solo but it would be nothing without Rex's amazing bass underneath.

So in turn -> Great bass = Better sounding solos in a 1 guitarist band
Another band to look at for these types of solos is Primus. They pull it off quite nicely, even when Les isn't playing chords.
tonnes of bands do this, good examples are chilis, john mayer trio but depends what kinda sound you want
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Listen to some of Planet X's early stuff. Derek Sherinian backs on keyboard and the best drummer ever on drums while Tony MacAlpine shreds it up with jazzfusionmetalprogressive stylings. One guitarist.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Another band to look at for these types of solos is Primus. They pull it off quite nicely, even when Les isn't playing chords.

Definately. Great example.

Les keeps a tight bassline and allows Ler to play any lick/riff he wants.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
oh mmmkay. cuz I was always in a 2 guitar band and now I'm trying to pull off the 1 guitar thing but I was kinda worried. Thanks for the help guys, I thought there was some secret to it.
I can only repeat what everyone else said. Listen to Cream! During Clapton's solos, Jack Bruce played some of his best bass work, driving the tune along (with a little help from Mr Baker, of course).
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

The rest of the band should be really tight, helps like hell if our drummer and bassist together can maintain a steady groove. Also, if you can get your bassist also to play a few riffs, it fills in the gaps. Check out some blues, or even some Satriani videos, whether the guitarist and bassist have a good jam.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

You can definitely be done as long as ur not one of those bands that don't give their bass any good bass lines. Nirvana was also able to do it.
The best thing I can suggest is to make the bass amps louder, maybe add a little bit more treble.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Also, on the tone side of things, you'll probably want to have a little reverb or delay on your guitar's sounds. And a nice cutting EQ, plenty of mids and the like.
A good thing to do would be really highlighting the chord tones of the chord progression you would normally have the rhythm guitarist play. ie use lots of arpeggios to imply the progression even though its not there.
make sure your not overpowering your bass/drummer so it doesnt feel like an empty space in the solo
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated