I've only just joined here, but I've been reading a lot of the posts and thought I'd get involved, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

I'm struggling to find inspiration for writing songs or rather, write songs convincingly atm. It seems, I just can't commit or get behind an idea entirely. I'm a relatively decent to good poet (nothing compared to many of the poets here, it's a pleasure to read other people's work here) however, it seems I just don't have enough age and experience behind me to start writing songs other than cliched teenage love. (Only just finished Year 11 )

Could this be the case?
Would you guys mind giving a budding songwriter a helping hand to get him started?

Much appreciated
i dont think that age has anything to do with being a good poet. maybe what you need to do is what i did when i was having writers block when i was playing solo. i got inspiration from hanging around other musicians and writing with other musicians. when you look at a lot of the good songs lyrics, they were written by most of the bands and not just one person. everyone has a say so, so you are getting the best of 2 or more people. if i were you i would just trying writing with other musicians, it just might give you the inspiration you need. Good luck man, hope everthing works out for ya.
i'm 14 (i've been through alot) so i have stuff to write about.
But what i also do is write lyrics not about me, but about other stuff in the world (hunger, politics, stories that have captured me and crap)

so you could write about stuff like that or about a friend who's been through alot or something..............or

............................sex
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Hi,
Songs son't have to be about a specific subject. There is a technique called stream of thought where you just sing the first things that come into your head. It doesn't even have to be real words that you are singing. When you stumble across something that you think sounds good try and build a song around it. I did this once and came up with the phrase 'elephants heart'. It did'nt make sense at the time but you can always come to it later and have a go at writing a song about it. Call it unprofessional but I often write songs and find a meaning for it later. Music is all about how you interpret things.

You could also stick with the teenage love theme but look at it form another angle. How would teenage love look like from an adult perspective perhaps? Or maybe robot love? If you are looking for something else to write lyrics about, rememeber that songs don't have to be about a feeling. They can be a place, person whatever.

And you can never be too young to write good songs. I am only 15 and have managed to write a few songs. Keep at it and things can only improve.
I'm 16 and i'm writing my own lyrics and music and they've matured a lot since I started about 2 years ago.

Nobody is instantly good at it, it's something you have to train your brain to do to a point. You need to train your mind to stay away from stereotypical, cliched song and get out of the habit of rhyming (if you do that). Some songs write themselves, others require a lot of deep thought and work.

More to the point, personally the best songs are the ones that aren't forced. You need to let your creative juices run their course when you write.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by Zzzonked
I've only just joined here, but I've been reading a lot of the posts and thought I'd get involved, my apologies if this thread is in the wrong place.

I'm struggling to find inspiration for writing songs or rather, write songs convincingly atm. It seems, I just can't commit or get behind an idea entirely. I'm a relatively decent to good poet (nothing compared to many of the poets here, it's a pleasure to read other people's work here) however, it seems I just don't have enough age and experience behind me to start writing songs other than cliched teenage love. (Only just finished Year 11 )

Could this be the case?
Would you guys mind giving a budding songwriter a helping hand to get him started?

Much appreciated

I'm 16 and heading to 12th grade this year... but what I find is it isn't really not being too young to write or be inspired, etc... it's more of just a quality that some people have and some people need to work at. But uhm, nothing has helped me more than jamming with my friends at various times of the week. So, in my honest opinion, jam with some friends if you can and share lyrical stuff and whatnot and eventually you will get better at it. I used to never be able to write music.. but that's slowly starting to change.

I hope you figure something out. Good luck.
Age does not matter. If you feel inspired by something, just put it into words. I'd suggest starting out by writing personal songs-something only you can describe. Then once you expand on your abilities, you could write about something more widespread like war, poverty, peace, etc. What I do is I write something every day, whether it be a line, a verse, a song, a poem, a story, anything. Just to stay writing and keep my mind thinking in that way. Even if it's comeplete crap, it will help you later on even if you don't use that piece you wrote. Eventually you will develope writing skills and be able to write a usable song. Hope that helped and good luck.
Last edited by muel333 at Jul 1, 2009,
Hi Zzzonked.

Question threads don't belong in the S&L main forum.
Please read the rules in the announcement at the top of this forum to see how things work
and where you should have placed this thread.

Thanks.

*reported*

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.