Page 1 of 2
hey guys, i have a question

if every1 says that solid state amps arent as good as tubes, and tube amps sound way better at hight volumes, then y do most bands use solid state amps in their live shows (im not sure abt recording)??
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
im not sure if many bands use them live, from what i know most bands will use tube mic'd tube combos or unmic'd tube halfstacks

there are a few bands that do, this fellas blog lists all i know if.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Dimebag was known to use solid state Randall amps, his distorted tone is pretty sick IMO.

EDIT: Ah nice list, although it may be a bit misleading. I wonder how often Jimmy Page used a Vox SS or Alex used a H&K SS...maybe once or twice in the studio.
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Last edited by edbert at Jul 1, 2009,
Metallica, and dimebag used Ampeg VH140 things at one pouint.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by soloXshredder
then y do most bands use solid state amps in their live shows (im not sure abt recording)??

Really? I think most use tube live, except for the exceptions listed above.
Fender Mexican Strat W/ Custom HSS Pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony
Blackheart BH5H
Epiphone 1x12 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Crybaby Original Wah
EHX Big Muff
A/B Selector Pedal
BB King used solidstates, and Metallica used the Roland Jazz Chorus on the black album for the clean bits, solid state isn't the worst thing, it's just that people have been jumping on the tube bandwagon and all. Not to cloud your perspective, tube amps > solid state tonewise.

And also yes, Dimebag used solidstates, though he sounded more like a chainsaw mating with a spinning blade more then a guitarist.

wonder how often Jimmy Page used a Vox SS

I doubt Page used a SS amp in the studio, maybe for his theremin, he did get like 75% of his tone from overdriven tubes...
Last edited by stykerwolf at Jul 1, 2009,
Meshuggah
The Faceless
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Randalls use SS preamps dont they? ive never seen a randall with preamp valves, eventhough they always display their power tubes.

and its not so much a tube bandwagon, more a tube cult.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by stykerwolf
BB King used solidstates, and Metallica used the Roland Jazz Chorus on the black album for the clean bits, solid state isn't the worst thing, it's just that people have been jumping on the tube bandwagon and all. Not to cloud your perspective, tube amps > solid state tonewise.

And also yes, Dimebag used solidstates, though he sounded more like a chainsaw mating with a spinning blade more then a guitarist.

I doubt Page used a SS amp in the studio, maybe for his theremin, he did get like 75% of his tone from overdriven tubes...

i like the sound of a chainsaw then
i dont know about SS amps for gigs and recording, but i know that alot of bands will run like this...

Something huge for gigs (6505 maybe, JCM 800, 900 or 2000, 5150 II)

and then a tiny 5/15 watt tube amp in the studio (tiny terror, valve junior, peavey nano etc)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

^^ depends on the wattage of the stack and the size of the gig =]

i never bother mic'ing my Valvestate because its the same wattage as the PA we use (100w)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by vigenharutyunya
dont see a point in micing Malmsteen's 24 halfstacks (notalways connectedbut he's got em (like he says in his VideoSchool :p)) that'senough for blowing a house with only one powerchord :p

Only one will be on, and miced.
WTLTL 2011
24 half stacks is much more a sign of vanity than it is a need for volume.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by Mark G
Only one will be on, and miced.

maybe 2, or 4 if we wants to run that way.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Quote by nightraven
with these walls of stacks i'm willing to bet there's a single amp somewhere out of sight that's mic'd

probably something like an epiphone valve junior combo hidden behind all them marshall cabinets.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

roland something or other right?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Boss EQ

Maybe for cleans or really tight, metal distortion, but you won't see many guitarists using solid state for light to moderate overdrive, which is where tube amps really shine in my opinion. I know Alex Lifeson and Sonny Landreth both use really high end modelling amps, but their setups are way more expensive than anything typically being suggested on this forum.
a lot of punk and post-punk/new wave type bands used solid state amps in the mid-late '70s and early '80s.

for example XTC - their guitarist andy partridge used a solid state H+H combo live up until about 1979.

Joy division are another example - Bernard Sumner used a Vox hybrid amp (UL730?) to produce a very grindy raw tone, and Ian Curtis used a Yamaha solid state but only really played clean and didn't play guitar that often either, and his tone was absolutely horrible...

I also think elvis costello ran his fender jazzmaster through a solid state Peavey combo, and can be seen tweaking it during a performance of 'I don't want to go to chelsea' on youtube somewhere.

Also joe jackson's "look sharp" album has some very solid state sounding guitar tones which sound like a H+H amp.

mucho late edito: Bernard Sumner also allegedly used H+H amps with new order as well..
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 1, 2009,
queens of the stoneage.

ampeg vt-22. sounds sweet in the studio.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Heres the few that I know of off hand..

Pantera
SOAD
Cannibal Corpse
Dying Fetus
Death
Static X
Meshuggah
Metallica
Santana
BB king
White Zombie
Suffocation
Decapitated
Megadeth
Five Finger Death Punch
BFMV
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 1, 2009,
Most of the 'bands' the OP is talking about IMO are probably people just getting started who don't know much about tone/can't afford a tube amp, so they have their Spider and MG and what not.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd use solid state amps if i had a good-un. I really like the Fender deluxe 1600 for some reason - i think they are MIM and may have reliability issues but there are some nice tones to be extracted from them. My favourite "budget" solid state so far.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Static X

Im very surprised Static-X uses SS amps. I know they use Marshall, but I never thought they went solid state. their tone is very unique
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by nightraven
with these walls of stacks i'm willing to bet there's a single amp somewhere out of sight that's mic'd

Lots of people do that actually. Brad Paisley has a wall of Dr. Z amps behind him just for show, and his rig is set up full wireless from guitar to pedals (which I think is just switches to choose amps) to rig and backstage
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by LoweRider
Im very surprised Static-X uses SS amps. I know they use Marshall, but I never thought they went solid state. their tone is very unique

Wayne's tone has been Marshall MG's for years now.. He brags about it all the time and its plastered all over the marshall site.. Thought everyone knew that..
^ true that. his tone sounds like an mg imo.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
^ true that. his tone sounds like an mg imo.

+1

The only good thing is it works for his music. Same thing can be said about spiders I have heard a few bands pull it off because it goes with there sound. Namely industrial genre's.
i should clear somethings up when people say that a heavy metal band uses a SS amp its usually the roland jazz chorus 120. and its used for there cleans so don't expect to get there distorted tones from SS they tend to use peavey 6505s and the like
in all honesty if you like the tone it produces why care whether its SS or tube?
Quote by edbert
Dimebag was known to use solid state Randall amps, his distorted tone is pretty sick IMO.

EDIT: Ah nice list, although it may be a bit misleading. I wonder how often Jimmy Page used a Vox SS or Alex used a H&K SS...maybe once or twice in the studio.

Yeah, I had already read that Dimebag used SS amps.. But did he used them live too? His tone is unmistakable
maybe we could name Kurt Cobain which i think use Crest amplifier ( PA amplifier ) for the touring of in utero if i remeber correctly and possible some recording .

Chad kroeger of Nickelback used a Vox valvetronix 100 ( hybrid ) for his clean sound .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by superfish1232
i should clear somethings up when people say that a heavy metal band uses a SS amp its usually the roland jazz chorus 120. and its used for there cleans so don't expect to get there distorted tones from SS they tend to use peavey 6505s and the like
in all honesty if you like the tone it produces why care whether its SS or tube?

I beg to differ.....

Pantera
SOAD
Cannibal Corpse
Dying Fetus
Death
Static X
Meshuggah
Metallica *Jazz Cleans
Santana
BB king
White Zombie
Suffocation
Decapitated
Megadeth
Five Finger Death Punch
BFMV *Jazz Cleans

12 out of 14 metal bands I listed that dont us an SS for just there cleans is far from your statement that usually when they say metal and ss its a Jazz Chorus.
Page 1 of 2