== Warning: Another Song Choice Thread ==

I decided these holidays after messing around with the guitar for a couple of years I would do something different. I realised I do something quite common I imagine; I tend just to learn a certain part of a song (like the most difficult part or the main riff) and then loose complete interest in playing the song. So I am now trying to learn full songs from beginning to end. I now realise that my playing has developed in some areas but I am pretty bad at consistantly hitting the notes with the right tone, keeping time over longer periods of time. So I decided to dedicate myself to learning a song in it's entirity, so I picked Mr. Brightside by The Killers (I had already previously learned the main riff and found it a bit difficult). I don't want to make it sound more difficult than it is but I have been finding it difficult as the first full piece I have tackeled and are only now starting to get it close to perfect. In short, don't mock it unless you've tried it (if you have tried it mock all you like). Plus I think it was a good choice for consistancy as it is relentless alternate picking string skipping mayham (probably very easy to do fingerpicking which I can but that is a bit of a cop out). In short, I suggest any guitarist out there like myself to try and dedicate themselves to one song and perfect it as I now think this provides alot of good practice in important techniques that it is easy to neglect. Also it doesn't impress anyone when you say you can play a part of even a difficult solo.

Anyhow now I need another song to learn to continue my education. Here's the points I was wanting to fullfill:
* Good guitar pro/powertab tabs that pretty much match the studio recording
* An interesting continuous rhythm part throughout, nothing with lots of strumming
* Something that people like to hear and recognize like the main riff to Mr. Brightside
* Probably something with more a rhythm focus than a lead focus but I don't really mind
* A bit easier than Mr. Brightside It has taken me a while to get Mr. Brightside good so I would like to have something for a bit of a rest.
* Pushes the point of consistancy

My music tastes are pretty ecletic so I don't think it will help much but here's my lastfm, http://www.last.fm/user/aresandenyo Some artists would be as follows (no real metal probably):
* Beatles
* Portishead
* Pavement
* Emerson, Lake & Palmer
* The White Stripes
* Oasis
* Powderfinger
* Arctic Monkeys
* Bert Jansch
* Big Bill Broonzy
* The Cardigans
* Chuck Berry
* Cream
* The Doors
* Evermore (mostly just Dreams)
* Franz Ferdinand
* John Mayer
* Joy Division
* The Kooks
* Pentangle
* Simon & Garfunkel
* The Shins
* The Stone Roses
* Tommy Emmanuel (but I think that would definetly be too advance lol)
* Wes Montgomery
* Yes
* Dire Straits
* Beth Orton
* Red Hot Chili Peppers

I was thinking maybe:
* Classical Gas - Eric Clapton (lol) (I didn't really want to learn on my acoustic though)
* Under the Bridge - RHCP
* Snow - RHCP
* I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys (maybe too easy but I haven't looked at it closely)
* Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (Love to learn this but think I would have to use a pick and maybe a bit difficult)
* Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
* From The Beginning - ELP (but again acoustic)
* Roundabout - Yes
* Mood for a Day - Yes
* Big Bill Broonzy - Hey (I not that interested in practicing fingerpicking though)
* Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
* Up & Down & Back Again - Powderfinger
* Roll Right By You - Powderfinger
* Pockets - Powderfinger
* Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
* The Rip - Portishead

I don't know if I'm just going to get flamed or not but sugget or flame away!
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
I was going to say Snow by RHCP. Sultans of Swing would be awesome as well.
It sounds like I am in the same situation you are in. I am learning Santana's Samba Pa Ti. Santana bends and slides a lot, and sounds really cool.
Under the bridge would be a good one. It's pretty easy to learn straight through but it's challenging enough that it might give you a workout getting it down. Plus people like that song and you can play it for people and they will think you're real good.
My Gear
Fender Player's Stratocaster
MXR 10-Band EQ
Blackstar HT-Dual
Moog MF-103 12-Stage Phaser
Boss ME-50
MXR Carbon Copy
Peavey Valveking 112
Not a bad idea, I need to learn more full songs too...

My tastes are more on the metal and modern rock side than you but I do like various genres and I have a couple of things to give you some input:

1. Learn Under the Bridge. Amaaaazing song. It's very fun, it can be very difficult depending on your technique level and approach to the song, and also if you master it then there's a lot of room for improvising within the song. Personally I think I'm 90-95% there it's just so difficult to get it like Frusciante. I've studied this song so much and read so many videos it's gross, if you have any questions about the song I can probably answer them.

2. Give Snow a try if you like but I personally think it's ridiculously tough. I'm pretty sure he alt picks it (I've seen a lot of people sweep but I think I've seen him alt it and it sounds more even I think). Good technique practice anyway.

On another note - Classical Gas sounds SWEET, never heard of it before but I'm definitely learning it when I get home.
Quote by bpazolli
* Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (Love to learn this but think I would have to use a pick and maybe a bit difficult)

It's the other way around, actually. Knopfler was (is) a fingerpicker, and it's a really good song to develop that skill. The intro to Roundabout is also a great way to improve it, a little bit more advanced than Sultans given that you have to hit the low and high strings simultaneously, but the rest of the song is far easier than Sultans.

So out of those, you might want to learn Roundabout, taking special care of the intro, and then tackle Sultans. It has a marvellous solo as well, bending, legato, sliding (the way I play it at least)
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by saw7988
Give Snow a try if you like but I personally think it's ridiculously tough. I'm pretty sure he alt picks it (I've seen a lot of people sweep but I think I've seen him alt it and it sounds more even I think). Good technique practice anyway.

I'm pretty sure he alternate picks it as well. I initially learned this one sweeping but while it's more difficult alternate picking the payoff in sound is worth it. And like the other guy said, it's a good thing to practice.