Ever since I got my Ibanez acoustic-electric, when I plug it into an amp, it makes this terribly crackly noise when I hit any note above the 5th fret/high E string hard, and makes the same noise when I hit any note with any strength above like the 9th fret/High E string. I know it's not the amp, because I tried it with a few different SS amps. The pickup is an under-the-saddle pickup. It looks like a braid of copper wire, and there is onboard EQ, which has: bass, mid, treble, shape, and a button called "phase". Anyone know what could be wrong?

On a side note-- would it be a bad idea to play an acoustic-electric through a tube amp?
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
did you ever set the neck because it sounds to me as though the rod is not calibrated...
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
Quote by tjbhdeath squad
did you ever set the neck because it sounds to me as though the rod is not calibrated...

I have no idea what that means...
This model comes with the pickup and preamp system, I haven't "calibrated" it or anything like that. Was I supposed to?
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
well, if you could describe the buzzing sound better, i can't help you. but usually by how you describe a sound being made specifically at one fret, you have a problem with your neck...

there should be a plastic cover near your nut at the head of the guitar that you can take off, and with an allen wrench, you can tighten the neck or loosen it, to make it bend a little bit, fixing the action and making it higher where it needs to be...

if it is not near your head, check underneath the sound hole, there might be something in there somewhere that can set the neck for you...

again, i'm not positive if it will eliminate the 'crackling' sound, but for most problems where somebody gets a terrible buzz specifically one one string and fret, it has something to do with the neck...

you can do it yourself, i would believe that you'll need to twist the knob counter-clockwise to fix your problem, or ask an expert to set your neck...
I don't charge much...

^It's not a problem with the neck. That's why I talked about how the problem exists when the guitar is plugged in. I know how to adjust a truss rod. This is a crackle noise that comes out of the amp, and is due to some unknown problem (which is what I'm asking about in the OP) in the pickup or preamp.
uh-oh, i'm looking at your guitar on google images and i forgot that it's and acoustic-electric. I honestly do not know if you are able to do that on those, I know that pretty much every electric has a rod in the neck, but I'm not sure for you. But I'd ask an expert if they could set your neck, I don't even think they will charge, it takes like 5 minutes...
I don't charge much...

ohhh yeah, if that, i would assume that your amp's tubes are wearing, but if it works with other guitars then, i could only suspect a loose connection that the frequency of your 5th string harmonizes with the guitar's frequency and vibrates the connections. I know it sounds crazy, but one time i found out that one frequency got me this buzzing sound, and i found out that my tuning knobs were loose and they vibrated strictly at an e3.

sorry for the misunderstanding dude...
I don't charge much...

^I really appreciate that you tried to help. However, It's not on the 5th string that this crackling occurs. It's usually in the higher registers, and is not on just one note. The crackling problem also happens when I hit the strings hard. It's not the tube amp. I haven't played my acoustic through my Traynor yet, cause I'm not sure if it would be harmful somehow.
Bump, I'd really like to fix this so I can use my acoustic at gigs.
Quote by BD 425
Ever since I got my Ibanez acoustic-electric, when I plug it into an amp, it makes this terribly crackly noise when I hit any note above the 5th fret/high E string hard, and makes the same noise when I hit any note with any strength above like the 9th fret/High E string. I know it's not the amp, because I tried it with a few different SS amps. The pickup is an under-the-saddle pickup. It looks like a braid of copper wire, and there is onboard EQ, which has: bass, mid, treble, shape, and a button called "phase". Anyone know what could be wrong?

On a side note-- would it be a bad idea to play an acoustic-electric through a tube amp?
1 - Playing through a tube amp isn't necessarily bad. But the tone shaping is a little different on an amp specifically for an acoustic. A tube amp designed for magnetic pickups might not give you the best tone, but it will still work.

Be sure to keep the volume low on your guitar. The active preamp will be capable of driving the input of a tube amp to distortion.

2 - If the problem is in your guitar, warranty dude. But find out if it's in the guitar or amp first.

Do you get this same noise when playing hard on the B string above the 10th fret?

Does this crackly noise go away when you turn the volume down on your guitar, but turn the volume up on the amp?

Does this crackly noise happen when you play though a different amp?

With a different cable?

Do you have a fresh battery in your guitar?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 2, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
1 - Playing through a tube amp isn't necessarily bad. But the tone shaping is a little different on an amp specifically for an acoustic. A tube amp designed for magnetic pickups might not give you the best tone, but it will still work.

Be sure to keep the volume low on your guitar. The active preamp will be capable of driving the input of a tube amp to distortion.

2 - If the problem is in your guitar, warranty dude. But find out if it's in the guitar or amp first.

3 - Do you get this same noise when playing hard on the B string above the 10th fret?

4 - Does this crackly noise go away when you turn the volume down on your guitar, but turn the volume up on the amp?

5 - Does this crackly noise happen when you play though a different amp?

6 - With a different cable?

7 - Do you have a fresh battery in your guitar?

I love you SYK, you're like the grandfather of GB&C.

I'm just gonna add in some numbers in that quote there...
2. I think the warranty is up, but I will check. Good call on that one thar. I'm 90% sure it's the guitar.
3. Yes.
4. Haven't tried that.
5. Yes, I tried through my Peavey Rage 158 and Spider iii. Same exact sound from both. I know those are both sucky SS amps (although I actually like the Peavey more ) but acoustic amps are also SS, as I'm sure you know.
6. Yes.
7. Yes.

I'm restringing my guitar today, I'll take a peek under the saddle to see if anything looks funny.
Quote by BD 425
I love you SYK, you're like the grandfather of GB&C.
close. very close...

Quote by BD 425
I think the warranty is up, but I will check. Good call on that one thar. I'm 90% sure it's the guitar.
Here's hoping it's still valid, man. It's looking more like 99%.

Quote by BD 425
Yes, I tried through my Peavey Rage 158 and Spider iii. Same exact sound from both. I know those are both sucky SS amps (although I actually like the Peavey more ) but acoustic amps are also SS, as I'm sure you know.
The fact that it happens through different amps points toward the guitar.

Quote by BD 425
I'm restringing my guitar today, I'll take a peek under the saddle to see if anything looks funny.
If you're lucky, the cause was a string that was not seated properly in the bridge pin. Sometimes the string binds up in the slot and there is some length between the pin and ball end. The end of the string resonates when the right note is hit.

Else it might be a loose brace, or something wrong with the piezo or the preamp.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I've had this guitar for like 3 years... I doubt I mis-strung it all those times. I just never posted this problem here because I kinda forgot about it until I was talkin with my bandmate about doing more acoustic songs, at which point I remembered this terrible problem that would inhibit me from playing live.

I have a good feeling it's something wrong with the piezo/preamp.