I've been writing a lot of my own music recently and have come to like the combination of two guitars in drop B (C#G#EBF#B) and one bass in 5 string standard (GDAEB).
However I now like the idea of trying to write in C# standard but with a minimum of tuning changes on my bass. So basically what I am asking is whether it would be advisable to tune to GDAEC# or [insert other tuning here].
Also I apologise if this is in the wrong place, but I am after the advice of other bassists since this is a bass tuning question.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Dude, I'm pretty sure you have all the tunings the wrong way round.
For example, Drop B is: B F# B E G# C#, not C# G# E B F# B.
It shouldn't be too much of a problem really, that C# string could be pretty tight though
Quote by JDZYX

Indeed
Quote by JDZYX

I just prefer writing them that way round
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

you don't need to tune like the guitars. Just play all songs in the lowest tuning you play.
Quote by xyqtt
you don't need to tune like the guitars. Just play all songs in the lowest tuning you play.

I don't need to, but it would make many things easier if there were at least similarities
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Unless you have a light gauge B string, that's gonna be really tight. I would suggest tuning down to E, B, F#, C#, G#, highest to lowest for that. You'll need some thicker strings for that, but that will be the best bet. It's unwise to tune one string to a totally different tension than the rest, that can possibly mess up your neck and that's kind of hard to fix. Tuning that way won't damage your bass, but you'll need to adjust the truss rod, most likely.

Or you could leave it totally in standard and put a capo on the second fret, but that's kinda gay.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by gilly_90
I don't need to, but it would make many things easier if there were at least similarities

know your fretboard
Quote by xyqtt
know your fretboard

I don't know if you think you're some theory hotshot, or if you've ever played in a band with another guitarist before, but the threadstarter is right. Whether it be for time's sake, learning and playing the songs efficiently, or matching the other members in tone, tuning, timbre, etc., it is easier to play in a tuning that's the same or at least similar.