im interesting in getting into the mars volta's music because ive heard they're really good, but i don't know where to start, i mostly listen to metal so do they do any heavier songs or is it all just acoustic music?
thanks
This should go in the volta thread in modern rock, but I'll help ya. The vast majority of their songs is heavy music. I take it you first heard them from Octahedron, right?

Well, that is by far the softest and only soft album. The Bedlam In Goliath is their heaviest, Fraces The Mute and Deloused In The Comatorium are two of the greatest albums of all time, and Amputechture has 2 soft songs while the rest are all heavy.

So yea, the only soft things they've done are: The entire Octahedron album, Asilos Magdalena (off of Amputechture), and Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore (off of Frances The Mute).

To start listening to them, I suggest Deloused In The Comatrium first.
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
I definitely felt The Bedlam in Goliath was amazing. The only thing that matches it was Francis of the Mute. If you want an album with a great back story and lyrics however, try The Bedlam in Goliath.

Look up the back story of how they came about the recording process, it's pretty spooky.
Get off my lawn.
It depends really. There albums are meant to be listened to as a whole (The only real exception being Octahedron), so finding individual songs free of context is difficult. The most easily accessible is The Bedlam in Goliath in my opinion, but even on that album, there are a few sections which could get a bit too trippy, such as the last few minutes of Conjugal Burns.

I love it though.
Last edited by GrStMyGn at Jul 2, 2009,