hi this is my first post and hope nobody asked this question before

my question is say there was a song with a chord progression of g,d,c

i know the root would be G and i could use a pentatonic respectively in the key of G, but am i supposed to follow on to D and C as the chords change?or what is and isnt allowed?

I hope you can all understand my question and maybe shed some light on it!

Cheers
G, D and C are all in G major - they are the I V IV chords from G Major - so you can use G major or G major pentatonic over the whole progression.

Edit: there's a bunch of other stuff you could use as well, which would also sound good, but G major is the most obvious.
Last edited by zhilla at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
G, D and C are all in G major - they are the I V IV chords from G Major - so you can use G major or G major pentatonic over the whole progression.

Edit: there's a bunch of other stuff you could use as well, which would also sound good, but G major is the most obvious.

+1

G Major / G Major pentatonic / G major blues

Quote by brendancregan
but am i supposed to follow on to D and C as the chords change?

Na, you don't want to do that in this case. You would do something like that if it was changing keys. This is all in one key.... G Major.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by brendancregan
hi this is my first post and hope nobody asked this question before

my question is say there was a song with a chord progression of g,d,c

i know the root would be G and i could use a pentatonic respectively in the key of G, but am i supposed to follow on to D and C as the chords change?or what is and isnt allowed?

I hope you can all understand my question and maybe shed some light on it!

Cheers

Since they are all in G major, (also G minor, D minor, and C major) You can use any of those keys.

However, changing keys isn't necessary, although may sound good if you can pull it off.

to pick the key, you need to use the chords AS WELL as the feel of the song.
Soon, death metal's drums will be so fast only computers will be able to listen to it.

94? Not bad. It shall improve >=)

Who's looking for hosting? My/My Friends site will be up and running soon, looking for customers - PM me if interested.