Quote by emily92
you don't want to put the third or seventh in the bass right?

That's for you to decide. It doesn't like break any "rules" if that's what your trying to ask.

If it sounds good, it is good.

btw, having a 3rd in the bass (1st inversion chord) is very common. Having the 7th in the bass, is slightly less common, but not unheard of.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
That's for you to decide. It doesn't like break any "rules" if that's what your trying to ask.

If it sounds good, it is good.

btw, having a 3rd in the bass (1st inversion chord) is very common. Having the 7th in the bass, is slightly less common, but not unheard of.

thanks, I couldn't remember my music theory class...but I do remember third in bass now thanks
normally a bass will play a note from the chord, this is most commonly the root or 5th but can be the 3rd also. For chords with extensions such as 7ths or 9ths it is perfectly common and acceptable to play the extension notes also.

There aren't any set rules though, the bass could even create the extension!!
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
The most common notes in the bass are the root and the third, but any notes can be played, and if in the right context, sound good. Even non-diatonic extensions can sound good.
It is usually, in conventional theory, kinda frowned upon to put the leading tone, i.e scale degree seven, in the bass. But again, its up to you.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John