my main amp is a peavey windsor, set pretty clean and i distort it with a boss sd1. it sounds ok but the amps od is awesome, but then i cant play anything clean. I have an old peavey classic combo (great cleans), but the speakers are weak and it weighs a ton. i want to take the controls/tubes/transisters/whatever else out of the classic and turn it into just a head. would i be able to run this and the windsor head into one of those selector pedals into the windsor cab?
the problem i have is the windsor cab is meant to take 16 ohms, and the classic runs 4 ohms. The speakers in the classic are in parallel if that matters. Is it safe to run the 4 ohm head into the windosr cab?
Quote by guns_rosesldb
my main amp is a peavey windsor, set pretty clean and i distort it with a boss sd1. it sounds ok but the amps od is awesome, but then i cant play anything clean. I have an old peavey classic combo (great cleans), but the speakers are weak and it weighs a ton. i want to take the controls/tubes/transisters/whatever else out of the classic and turn it into just a head. would i be able to run this and the windsor head into one of those selector pedals into the windsor cab?
the problem i have is the windsor cab is meant to take 16 ohms, and the classic runs 4 ohms. The speakers in the classic are in parallel if that matters. Is it safe to run the 4 ohm head into the windosr cab?
afaik, all the Peavey Classic series amps run 16 or 8 ohms. What model is yours?

2 - running a tube head into a cab that has a higher impedance is dangerous. With less load, the primary of the output transformer will swing to excessive voltages when a signal is applied. This can cause arcing in your output tubes, or even worse, punch through the insulation of the windings of your output transformer. Damage like that is expensive.

3 - a proper selector pedal for switching 2 amps into a single cab won't come cheap. the switches or relays connecting the amp outputs to the speaker must be capable of high current. Also, the disconnected amp should be connected to a resistive load and the input of the disconnected amp should be shorted to ground. This is a complicated arrangement. There ARE systems available to do this. They ARE expensive.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
afaik, all the Peavey Classic series amps run 16 or 8 ohms. What model is yours?

its a 1975 model, so its older. im 100% sure its 4 ohms though
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

3 - a proper selector pedal for switching 2 amps into a single cab won't come cheap. the switches or relays connecting the amp outputs to the speaker must be capable of high current. Also, the disconnected amp should be connected to a resistive load and the input of the disconnected amp should be shorted to ground. This is a complicated arrangement. There ARE systems available to do this. They ARE expensive.

Would a boss ls-2 not work for switching amps?
^No, its meant to be used ahead of an amp (I'm sure you know this), and I really doubt that it would stand up to being in between the cab and the head.

I don't know how much cheaper this would be, but I think if you used an attenuator, and devised some kind of switching setup, you could build a device to switch between heads.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
^No, its meant to be used ahead of an amp (I'm sure you know this), and I really doubt that it would stand up to being in between the cab and the head.

I don't know how much cheaper this would be, but I think if you used an attenuator, and devised some kind of switching setup, you could build a device to switch between heads.

So this probably wouldnt work?

Guitar->pedalboard->LS-2->(one output into the classic, other into the windsor head)->both into a jack that takes 2 1/4 inch jacks into 1 output (or some pedal that does this)->windsor cab
Quote by guns_rosesldb
So this probably wouldnt work?

Guitar->pedalboard->LS-2->(one output into the classic, other into the windsor head)->both into a jack that takes 2 1/4 inch jacks into 1 output (or some pedal that does this)->windsor cab
That would work.

... for a couple of minutes. then break out the fire extinguishers.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.