Is there a certain cable or attatchment you have to buy to plug a Shure SM57 into a computer for home recording? Or does it come with the Mic?
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
With great luck.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
You can get an adapter to go from XLR to 1/8" jack. However, the adapter costs around $20 and will cause the sound quality to reduce drastically. If you want to record you really should get a high-end sound card.
Quote by TheDriller
You mis-spelled interface there man.

No...

A good soundcard is just as good as any interface.
Interfaces are just a cheaper alternative to that (Most of the time).
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by isaac_bandits
An audio interface is a sound card.

im well aware of that.
but there is a distinction between something thats actually made for high-quality recording and the numerous "gaming" or general-purpose soundcards out there.

advising someone to get a "soundcard" for recording is like telling them to get a "car" for F1 racing.
Quote by TheDriller
im well aware of that.
but there is a distinction between something thats actually made for high-quality recording and the numerous "gaming" or general-purpose soundcards out there.

advising someone to get a "soundcard" for recording is like telling them to get a "car" for F1 racing.

I just said "soundcard" lets take a look:

Quote by isaac_bandits
You can get an adapter to go from XLR to 1/8" jack. However, the adapter costs around $20 and will cause the sound quality to reduce drastically. If you want to record you really should get a high-end sound card.

See? I said high-end. High-end sound cards are designed for recording, and are often called audio interfaces. Even the best gaming sound card isn't high-end.
Quote by isaac_bandits

See? I said high-end. High-end sound cards are designed for recording, and are often called audio interfaces. Even the best gaming sound card isn't high-end.

+1

'Sums up what I meant aswell.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
A sound card is internal. An interface is external. FACT.

Sound cards are not and never will be audio interfaces and vice-versa.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Would I be better off getting a Line 6 POD Studio UX1 w/ POD farm for $140?
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Would I be better off getting a Line 6 POD Studio UX1 w/ POD farm for $140?

Depends how good you want your recordings. They are great for jotting down ideas and such, but your never going to make an album with one.

Not to say you couldn't, you just usually wouldn't.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Depends how good you want your recordings. They are great for jotting down ideas and such, but your never going to make an album with one.

Not to say you couldn't, you just usually wouldn't.

I just want better recording quality then what I have. Just good quality recordings to throw on my myspace or something. Not really looking for top notch studio quality
soundcards are not for recording there is

PCI INTERFACES that go into a pci slot and break off into digital snakes, like motu does and some m-audio,

then there is interfaces WHICH IS AN EXTERNAL box that takes AD/DA and transfers not by ADAT but by firewire or usb. soundcards are not ment for recording, just games and movies and crap. show me a soundcard that has the same quality or better preamps and ad/da conversion then a motu mkIII or the presonus firepod or, i'd kill to see this one the RME interfaces
M-audio Delta 1010
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by CatharsisStudio
soundcards are not for recording there is

PCI INTERFACES that go into a pci slot and break off into digital snakes, like motu does and some m-audio,

then there is interfaces WHICH IS AN EXTERNAL box that takes AD/DA and transfers not by ADAT but by firewire or usb. soundcards are not ment for recording, just games and movies and crap. show me a soundcard that has the same quality or better preamps and ad/da conversion then a motu mkIII or the presonus firepod or, i'd kill to see this one the RME interfaces

And an interface is a type of sound card. They just usually aren't called sound cards, as things marketed as "sound card" are generally just crappy ones designed only for playback.