Specs:
Body wood: Maple/walnut
Neck wood: Bolt on Aluminum with walnut inserts
Fingerboard: 20 fret, ebonal (apparently the same plastic they make bowling balls out of...), Mother of pearl inlays
Tuners: Schaller (I think)
Bridge: Schaller 463, chrome
Truss Rod: none
Pickups: Dimarzio Model P and Model J
Electronics: Active
Controls: Neck PU Volume, Bridge PU volume, Neck PU tone, bridge PU tone, Neck PU low cut switch, bridge PU low cut switch, pickup selector
Price paid: $650, used
Awesome: Yes

This is my 82 Kramer DMZ6000 aluminum neck bass. It is one of the most hair metal basses I have ever seen. Which is funny, because my teacher played it and said that it would be great for funk. I'm not sure if it was actually made in 1982. The store said it was an 82, but I've read that they were only made from 80-81. Anyway, I saw this thing in a used guitar store and decided I HAD to have it. Which is kind of weird, because I really should hate it. It has 20 frets, a bolt on neck with heel, horrible neck dive, and active electronics without an active EQ. I guess it was the tone I fell in love with. The tone is really, really bright, with a lot of upper mids (I put clips in my profile, if anyones interested). It actually kinda sounds like an Alembic à la Stanley Clark with the bridge pickup soloed. My favorite setting is both pickups at equal levels with tone knobs all the way up and both low cut switches on (I'm pretty sure I used that for most of the recording).

I'm really not liking this thing as much as I used to and have mostly switched to using my Spector. I might sell it sometime. Its not like it sounds bad, but compared to the Spector, the tone is a little lacking.

MOAR PICS

(WTF? A regular nut AND zero fret?)
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
well... it's unique...

I do like cream pickups though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
the headstock looks like it's about to peel off both ways
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
hows that neck feel? never played an aluminum...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

i've never understood the point of a zero fret.
i REALLY like that headstock though.
EDIT: i just googled. now i FULLY understand the reason for a zero fret
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Last edited by moody git at Jul 1, 2009,
my old 'teacher' had one of these. I have to say they do sound incredibly bright. Nice find!
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
^ thanks man

Quote by the humanity
hows that neck feel? never played an aluminum...

Actually, it has those wood inserts, so most of the back is actually wood, so it doesn't feel much different. It is an extremely thin neck though.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
ah.

I would like to see that. sounds interesting.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by NotSoAirJordan
I bet it plays like a dream also.

Meh, it weighs a ton and hits the floor the second you let go of it.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I need to have one!

Looks like it would have a very unique tone. Nice bass!
Seriously, if you ever do consider selling this, or are looking for a trade, keep me in mind
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Last edited by bassmanjoe08 at Jul 1, 2009,
I just might take you up on that. The shipping costs will be pretty bad though.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
I just might take you up on that. The shipping costs will be pretty bad though.

Yeah, maybe... well if you ever feel so inclined to sell, lemme know and I can get estimates.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
That is KOOL and very rare guitar!
I have an original DMZ6000B that I bought new in 79.
Supposedly a prototype it came with Schaller branded tuners and a "Bad Ass" branded bridge. It is registered on the Kramer forum, sn 08166. The 6000 series basses were produced in very limited numbers. At the time, they were considered some of the finest instruments you could own, on par with Alembic and the like. Kramers were played by an impressive group of artists. Yes they are a bit heavy... I currently play a Warwick but I take the Kramer on gigs as a back up and on occasion, I'll break it out and give it a good thrashing. Still looks and sounds great after 30 years.

There is one on ebay right now for sale, i think it is around 500.00
^ Ya something I didn't mention that Quad touched on is that this thing is built like a tank, as in it probably could survive small arms fire and stuff. Seriously, if it fell and hit the floor, unless I'm on concrete or something, I'd be almost as concerned about the floor as with the bass. Especially if it fell neck first!
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
^I already said that but ok... They're low cut switches for each pickup

BTW, for anyone GASing over this bass, Aluminum neck Kramers pop on CL and eBay from time to time. Also, if you know any used guitar stores that often have vintage instruments (some seem to attract more than others). And if you REALLY like my particular bass but can't find the exact model, the DMZ5000 is almost identical, except for a slightly different body and a much smaller maple core
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Nice to see this fine old bass getting a showing. When you posted it before, I think I may have said I loved it. I still do.
The price of these has been going up a bit, recently. That one will be well worth holding on to!
Last time I had my hands on one of these was in '93, in Bruce Anderson's in Aberdeen. I passed up the chance to buy it, an immaculate '83 model, for beer money. Stupid, just plain stupid.