Page 1 of 2
I might be buying a guitar in a few months, if a trip I'm planning to the US happens, and I would like to try out as many different guitars as I can. So far I know I like SGs, and Les Pauls (a little out of my price range though, I would be spending $1000-$1500), and I would like to know some shred guitar models on that price range that are good. Particularly if they have any (or all :P) of the following:

24 frets (not really needed, but still)
Decent locking whammy bar
Fast neck and easy high fret access (probably as standard of shred guitars)
EDIT: Forgot H-S-H pickups

Thanks!
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Last edited by Garci at Jul 1, 2009,
maybe a prestige ibanez RG or s series.. prolly the S series
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
yes, go find a picture of the ibanez logo and stare at it...

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Jacksons kinda perfected

them or ESP
DBZ Barchetta Eminent FR
DBZ Bolero ST
DBZ Imperial FM
DBZ Venom Matte Black
Dean '79 V
Dean '79 ML
Fender Princeton Chorus
Behringer V-Tone 2/12
Asterope Cables
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Digitech Hardware Metal Distortion
just get a really nice Ibanez. I has everything you're looking for and it's not a dead weight like a les paul.
Quote by sylphin

the only problem with the S is that they're only 22 frets

... unless you're talking about the newer SV series...?
Are you just trying to get people to say ibanez? i think there one of the only companies that do HSH config, and you probably knew that.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Quote by konfyouzd
^ are they?

unless you go custom, but why do that if you can just get what you want on an ibanez, all the prestige models are the exact specs your looking for.
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
hmm im pretty sure theres more companys that do it, but anyway it would seem that ibanez fits the bill of everything TS asked for. so there we have it, TS needs an ibanez ^^

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Quote by sylphin

Any particular models? The S5470 seens like a good idea, will definitely try it out

Quote by DoubleyouW
Shecter hellraiser c-1 fr :P

Nice! OFR as well, not really digging the EMGs, takes away some versatility, but swappable though

Quote by xxVi2us
I would go with a jackson, and get a very nice Rhoads

Tried the Rhoads before, didn't find them all that comfourtable, at least the ones with the input jack looking in. The RR5 looks great, nice pickups as well (I'm using them on my Epi ), but the lack of a whammy bar is kind of a turnoff, if I'm getting a guitar for shredding it would be nice to have one.

Quote by konfyouzd
ibanez RG1527M. do it now.

What's with the laughing? And 7 strings is not really my thing

EDIT:
Quote by Dimefan69
Are you just trying to get people to say ibanez? i think there one of the only companies that do HSH config, and you probably knew that.

Not really. Yes, Ibanez is the only guitar I saw with HSH, thought it was very versatile, but just because I didn't see any Jacksons or Charvels with that configuration doesn't mean that they don't exist, so I thought of asking here.
Look!

Quote by Dimefan69
unless you go custom, but why do that if you can just get what you want on an ibanez, all the prestige models are the exact specs your looking for.

that's very true. you can get a custom carvin for about the same price you can get a prestige ibanez.

through my experience ibanez can be a tad overpriced, particularly their prestige models. did i mention ALL of my guitars are ibanez???

anyway... carvins--to my understanding--are damn nice guitars and while i whole-heartedly support the idea of going ibanez i'd like to just toss another name out there. once you get into $1000-1500 you're in custom range.

Roter makes nice customs too. Body woods like Mahogany, Alder, Basswood, and (i THINK) Ash. Maple, Rosewood or Ebony fretboard. And last I checked I think the base price for something with any combination of the aforementioned woods was like $800 base (of course that's subject to change when you start adding bells and whistles, but your requirements seem pretty simple/specific).

just throwing some more names in the hat to make this interesting
Quote by Garci

What's with the laughing? And 7 strings is not really my thing

the laughing was more to indicate that the "do it now" part was a joke. and i didn't know you weren't down with the 7 strings (i happen to LOVE them, but that's just me)... RG1550 then, perhaps?
If you´re only going to take a trip to the US, Carvin isn´t really the way to go, since you cannot try their guitars until you get them which takes a couple months unless you order from the in stock. You could always search the used market for a Carvin, their resale value tends to be ridiculously reasonably priced.

If you want recommendations for in store guitars, I add another recommendation to try some Jackson or Charvel guitars.
Quote by konfyouzd
the laughing was more to indicate that the "do it now" part was a joke. and i didn't know you weren't down with the 7 strings (i happen to LOVE them, but that's just me)... RG1550 then, perhaps?

Heh, sorry, I saw the guitar and was thinking maybe it bursts into flames or something . How good is the Edge Pro bridge? Hot colours by the way

Quote by Vlasco
If you´re only going to take a trip to the US, Carvin isn´t really the way to go, since you cannot try their guitars until you get them which takes a couple months unless you order from the in stock. You could always search the used market for a Carvin, their resale value tends to be ridiculously reasonably priced.

If you want recommendations for in store guitars, I add another recommendation to try some Jackson or Charvel guitars.

It might be a sort of foreign exchange trip, around 6 months , how long would it take to have a guitar custom made by them? That adds a whole new dimension to the issue. I hear Jacksons do customs as well, which would you recommend? And any particular Charvel?
Look!

Quote by Garci
Heh, sorry, I saw the guitar and was thinking maybe it bursts into flames or something . How good is the Edge Pro bridge? Hot colours by the way

to be completely honest with you, i have never tried the edge pro. to my understanding the edge pro's only draw back is that it lacks the locking studs present in the lo pro edge. the locking stud mod is cheap and easy and from what i hear once you've done this it's a damn good trem. hell... i know some people who haven't done this mod and still say it's a damn good trem. i'd imagine if it came on a prestige it'd have to be pretty good.
A Jackson custom would cost a lot. Jackson raised their prices this year because they´re owned by Fender, I keep on forgetting. The SL1 Soloist is what I would recommend. They were 1,400-1,500 for plain colours last year, but now they´re at 1,700 it looks like. Maybe you could talk the store down in price? Charvel I don´t remember model names for. The ones I played were all very similar to Jacksons, which makes sense since the company is owned by Jackson.

As for Carvin, mine took 4 months while I was in the US. They give you 10 days once it arrives to see if you like it, and if you don´t you send it back for a full refund minus shipping. Sometimes you can find used Carvins in stores or on Craigslist which would allow you to try them out. A properly set up Carvin plays very very well.

Where in the US would you be going?
well i own the RG 350 DX and its definately the best guitar ive ever seen/touched/drooled over and thats a low end model! just go to the ibanez website and have a look at there range.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

Quote by Morrie2995
Quote by Vlasco
A Jackson custom would cost a lot. Jackson raised their prices this year because they´re owned by Fender, I keep on forgetting. The SL1 Soloist is what I would recommend. They were 1,400-1,500 for plain colours last year, but now they´re at 1,700 it looks like. Maybe you could talk the store down in price? Charvel I don´t remember model names for. The ones I played were all very similar to Jacksons, which makes sense since the company is owned by Jackson.

As for Carvin, mine took 4 months while I was in the US. They give you 10 days once it arrives to see if you like it, and if you don´t you send it back for a full refund minus shipping. Sometimes you can find used Carvins in stores or on Craigslist which would allow you to try them out. A properly set up Carvin plays very very well.

this man knows his ****... listen to him. you may want to check out the SL2H as well. I LOOOOOOVE that thing. only problem with that one is that it doesn't have a middle pickup like the SL1 does. but the SL1 is H/S/S. how important is the pickup configuration to you?
RG1570
i mean just look at the finish. i promise it looks even better in person

or if you can find one with the Original Edge Bridge or Lo-Pro Edge, even better.

EDIT: and to answer one of your questions, the Edge Pro is a great high-quality bridge. but many, including me, will tell you that though it's a great trem with high tuning stability, it's still inferior to the Edge/Lo-Pro Edge.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by konfyouzd
but the SL1 is H/S/S. how important is the pickup configuration to you?

And that can always be fixed with a minihumbucker. I hate how the prices went up so much on the Jacksons just because Fender said they had to...
^ rg570...?

not the pic you showed, but the 570 will have the orginal edge (or was it a lo pro on that guy?)

EDIT: @SomebodySomeone... I was ninja'd by Vlasco

now... @Vlasco: I've never heard of the minibucker.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by konfyouzd
^ rg570...?

not the pic you showed, but the 570 will have the orginal edge (or was it a lo pro on that guy?)

I do that some times.

It´s not just one pickup, it´s just a general term for a large variety of single coil sized humbuckers.
Quote by konfyouzd
^ rg570...?

if i remember correctly the 550/560/570 had original Edge's. the 750/760/770 had the lopro's. i bought a rg560 to fix up a few months back. in terrible condition, with a cracked neck (original wizard ) and everything. suprisingly the Edge stayed in PERFECT tuning no matter how much i used the hell out of the trem. this is with 2 huge cracks running down the neck mind you

EDIT: actually i think it also depended on the year of the model that was a factor in which trem the guitar had...
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Vlasco

I believe your referring to the San Dimas Charvels? (AKA The new production models).

But I'd HIGHLY recommend stretching for what this guy is talking about. Who in the world doesnt like a US Jackson? You just, cant!
Life is like an Empty Box, there could be something exciting in it at first look, but upon further review, well, it's empty.

Quote by Vlasco
I do that some times.

It´s not just one pickup, it´s just a general term for a large variety of single coil sized humbuckers.

right. i had assumed so. i was just unaware that such a thing existed.
RG1570
RG1550
RG770 Prestige
RG2550
RG3550MZ

..yeah you get the picture.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Vlasco

Yeah, I guess I could talk it down to around 1500, less if I'm lucky, and the SL1 looks hot as hell, nice specs as well. Mmm, 4 months is a long time, and would be a letdown if it doesn't turn out right given that I only have one shot, so I'll stick the to in-store guitars I guess. I have no idea where I would be going, I haven't been told yet, just that it's in the US

Quote by SomebodySomeone
RG1570
i mean just look at the finish. i promise it looks even better in person

or if you can find one with the Original Edge Bridge or Lo-Pro Edge, even better.

EDIT: and to answer one of your questions, the Edge Pro is a great high-quality bridge. but many, including me, will tell you that though it's a great trem with high tuning stability, it's still inferior to the Edge/Lo-Pro Edge.

Holy crap! Now that's one sexy guitar for sure, congrats! What's the difference between that and, say, a 1550?

Quote by DotSick
RG1570
RG1550
RG770 Prestige
RG2550
RG3550MZ

..yeah you get the picture.

Yeah, Ibanez RG series, got it
Look!

as far as i know the only difference is the rg1550 has a maple fretboard instead of rosewood and it also has a pickguard. other than that they are pretty much the same...
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Garci
Mmm, 4 months is a long time, and would be a letdown if it doesn't turn out right given that I only have one shot, so I'll stick the to in-store guitars I guess. I have no idea where I would be going, I haven't been told yet, just that it's in the US

They do have an instock section on their website. You could order one of those if any look good. They 10 day return policy works there as well, and it gets send out within days.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
if i remember correctly the 550/560/570 had original Edge's. the 750/760/770 had the lopro's. i bought a rg560 to fix up a few months back. in terrible condition, with a cracked neck (original wizard ) and everything. suprisingly the Edge stayed in PERFECT tuning no matter how much i used the hell out of the trem. this is with 2 huge cracks running down the neck mind you

EDIT: actually i think it also depended on the year of the model that was a factor in which trem the guitar had...

depends on year doesn't it? my RG550 has a lo pro edge.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
depends on year doesn't it? my RG550 has a lo pro edge.

yeah, the year also has something to do with it.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
yeah, the year also has something to do with it.

yeah and the year has also got to do with the AANJ which mine missed out on so i just had to buy another ibanez guitar to have the AANJ
Page 1 of 2