I just cannot for the life of me make up any riffs. My band even tells me Im kind of a weird case because I love thrash but when I play Im more of a melodic guy, which are polar opposites , and I lack the ability to make up good riffs. I have also come to realize that in thrash riffs the fat E string pounding has gotten old so I try not to incorporate that into my music or what I can come up with. Do you think that could be holding me back a little in discovering riffs? People have told me to break down some of my favorite riffs and dissect the parts that make them successful, but that doesn't really seem to help me out that much. Are there any other techniques to writing riffs besides just jamming and and the tactic I have written above?
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX AD50VTXL Valvetronix Amp
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Originally Posted By iron_maiden93

He wants to rape us....He raped me

Practice... practice....

That's all I can say.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Practice... practice....

That's all I can say.

May I ask whats to practice? I can play very difficult riffs, I just can't make any up.
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

I like to think that everything has a basis in melody (except stupid excessive dissonance). Create a basic melody riff, then build off of that and make it more thrashy (dissonant, if you desire).
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Thanks for the advice so far.
My Gear
Jackson Pro Series DK2M
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell

Practice different styles of music so you become more aware of different ideas. That's how I write personally.

More ideas = more possibilities.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

if you play melodic lines a lot, put one of those down and try to come up with something that will go over it. And don't be afraid of riffing over a melodic line instead of just bashing some chords. I also find that messing around with scales brings up some cool riffs, just move the notes around instead of playing them in order, bring it around and resolve the feeling.(or don't to add tension)
Listen to your favorite bands riffs and see what techniques or note they use, then apply the techniques.
And just play, something usually pops up.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Sorry to be the one to say this. but seriously.

If you cant make Riffs up, Typing about it will NOT HELP.

Get your Guitar. Plug it in. Turn it right Up and IMPROVISE!
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
just sit down and whip out the guitar and fret a random shape and throw in some power chords and pick halfway up the fretboard then to quote frank zappa 'shove a giraffe with whipped cream.'

pretty much, you just gotta randomly try and it might come or it might not. Make guitar noises with your mouth (you know, derr-duh-dana ) randomly, maybe something'll come out. Say something outloud without thinking about what you're gonna say and say it in an angry way and then maybe throw some music into it and you might get a vocal line. Then base a riff around that. Take a scale, change every note 1 fret, except some, then start at a random point and skip around however you want.

ffs there's no secret technique to writing a song or riff, you can learn to fingertremolosweeptap an Am7add9diminished# but you cant 'learn' to write a song. Just do it whenever, how about now.

I know, watch School of Rock :P: what makes you angry? no allowance? chores? bullies? yeah?!? whadya wanna say to them bullies huh? step off? yeah? ok then... STEP OFF! STEP OFF! WOH! STEP OFFF!
i've been stuck like this forever....sitting in your room tryin to make cool **** up on guitar and it just doesn't work.

If u play everyday for hours like i do a simple way to solve ur problem would be to just not play guitar for a week. when u come back to it you should be able to come up with something sick....at least that worked with me.(unless u really suck and thats the whole problem anyway)

or try listening to music that u hate....i mean **** u cant stand hearing for a brief minute....like meatloaf or dragonforce. for a week....dont worry when it's over u can go back to listening to good **** like necrophagist. and sleep terror.etc.
I always learn new songs... buckethead specifically. Just play riffs your familiar with and change them. Eventually youll end up with a totally different sounding riff. take for example... have you ever noticed how similar the Red Hot Chili Peppers dani california sounds to Hendrixes purple haze? its called inspiration. Try it out, change speeds add new things think, ok this is cool, where can i go from here? Just try it all out, itll come to you.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

just combine your guitar playing skills to improvise till u find some nice riff and nice thrash sound out of it.

If your having trouble with improvising, listen to your favorite thrash band that has the biggest influence on your guitar play and try to get riffs that look like their guitar riffs. But beware that you don't copy their riffs =)

dunno if it was of any use but ah well
O_O riiiiiiiight

oh, cool smiley
Last edited by Joene at Jul 2, 2009,