Maybe I've been living under a rock or something, but I've never heard how crazy this thing was until I went to my friend's house. When he played any music on his iTunes, the bass just came exploding out of his speakers. At first glace, I only saw the speakers on top of his desk and I was wondering how thehell can that make that sound...

Then he tells me it's that thing down there (*points at the subwoofer). Yeah so now I'm definitely getting one.. But can you guys suggest me one that can go pretty loud w/o buzzing or whatever? and if I get one do I also need new speakers that go with them or just use the one's I already have? like around~100$ if that's good enough?
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
unless you are using a stereo system that has a separate subwoofer output then you dont just buy a subwoofer. For a computer system you usually have to buy a whole speaker set that includes a subwoofer. They range between 3-5 hundred dollars.

EDIT: I guess i didnt write if you want something to be trully proud of.
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 1, 2009,
I got some for about £40.. they've got two speakers and a sub woofer.. the sound quality is pretty good and the bass is immense

morale: you don't have to spend that much money..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

It was likely jsut a regular woofer, not a subwoofer, and most computer sets dont come with a subwoofer. Its impractical and takes more power than all the other speakers combined. So when you go to the store, just say woofer, so you dont look stupid.
Oh forgot to mention, I don't want something with "the craziest bass i can get", this is mostly for listening to music so yeah, bass is good, but I want everything like midranges, highs and stuff under control too
thxx
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
Quote by will123456789
I got some for about £40.. they've got two speakers and a sub woofer.. the sound quality is pretty good and the bass is immense

morale: you don't have to spend that much money..

Morale was low as the troops trudged across the the dense vegetated landscape of Northern Vietnam towards best buy...
I plug my ipod speakers into my computer. It's pretty much 1 sub and 2 standards in a tower. But yeah, a sub is essential when you're a gamer :']
DANK MEMES
I don't like to listen to music without a subwoofer, it makes it sound too trebly-thin and often lifeless. Kinda like a Les Paul vs a typical Ibanez.

And as mentioned, go with something made by Logitech.
Logitech z2300 as already mentioned! It's just 2 speakers and a sub....but it'll give you all you need for ever
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by MedicreDemon

I'm sorry, but 5 and 1/4 inches is hardly a subwoofer. They could call it anything they wanted, but it wont get a 20 hz note to sound good. TS probably doesn't want a real sub, he jsut wants a 6 inch woofer.
I finally broke down and got some proper monitors and a good power amp for my computer. What a delight. They are so much better balanced than my old subwoofer setup.
Subwoofers with little speakers hooked into them are cheap and convenient I guess. Not a very balanced sound on any that I have heard so far.
Lol, you've never heard of subwoofers?

I have a Logitech something or other (cba to check), it's pretty decent. Downfiring though, you might not want that.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
Oh forgot to mention, I don't want something with "the craziest bass i can get", this is mostly for listening to music so yeah, bass is good, but I want everything like midranges, highs and stuff under control too
thxx

Acutally, if you're not just concerned about low, low bass, make sure you spend some good money. I know a lot of cheaper speaker systems, like the one I have, use the woofer as an excuse to have puny satellite speakers (the two that sit on the desk) with no midrange. Make sure the speakers are at least two-way (with a decent-sized mid-range speaker and a tweeter).
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Mad Marius
I don't like to listen to music without a subwoofer, it makes it sound too trebly-thin and often lifeless. Kinda like a Les Paul vs a typical Ibanez.

Yeah cause Les Pauls are soooooo great
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by halloweenhead

This is what they call 'flame bait".
I've got 2x12s in the backseat of my truck.

For a computer, just buy a nice speaker set, you can find plenty of logitech speakers or similar that have a good subwoofer in them. I have a 6in ported cab under my desk, it works.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by halloweenhead

I'ma smack some sense into you, boy!
-Jim Morrison
I have a klipsch 2.1 system sounds decent can anyone tell me how they compare to logitech?
Look for systems with the labels 2.1 or 5.1 or 7.1. The .1 denotes that there is a subwoofer with the set. If you live in the US, check out www.newegg.com for some good deal and read the reviews.

If you just listen to music, go right ahead and buy one. However, if you plan on recording or producing your own music on your computer, you need to stop and think for a bit. You cannot use typical speakers such as 5.1's to mix. You will need reference monitors instead.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
does anyone else use their amp as a speaker i always plug my ipod into it
am i bad?
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by ryand111
does anyone else use their amp as a speaker i always plug my ipod into it
am i bad?

It's not good for your guitar amplifier. Guitar amps are calibrated for a specific range of frequency. It's not designed to handle registers outside of this range and when it does, it damages your amp. So when you have your iPod/computer as the input, it has to amplify very low end frequencies such as basses and bass drums. Not good for your amp at all in the long run.

However, you can buy reference monitors, or plain stereo monitors to do this instead.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by hippotato7
I hate subs, they have no place in rock and certainly not in anything acoustic

False post is false.

I have 700w going to two 2x12 closed cab subs in my truck. The way i designed the cab, they punch like a kickdrum instead of rumble like rap setups do. Go ahead and listen to some punk rock or ACDC on that and it'll change your mind instantly

If you knew anything about audio you'd know that subwoofer always, ALWAYS add an extreme dimension of sound to your setup.

The universal trick with subwoofers is that you should not notice that they are present until you turn them off. The bass should not take over; it should balance out the mix.

Me, being the audio freak tone junkie that I am, make adjustments to my subwoofers level whenever a new song comes on to level out the sound.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi
It's not good for your guitar amplifier. Guitar amps are calibrated for a specific range of frequency. It's not designed to handle registers outside of this range and when it does, it damages your amp. So when you have your iPod/computer as the input, it has to amplify very low end frequencies such as basses and bass drums. Not good for your amp at all in the long run.

However, you can buy reference monitors, or plain stereo monitors to do this instead.

oh right its a ****ty amp anyway saving up for a better one
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by Chaosinborn

+1

My buddy just got those, and they sound ****in amazing.

*edit*

okay he had gotten these, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121012
this was the speaker deal of the day, which is at the top so I assumed that's what you linked to.
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Jul 1, 2009,