Well, this might be the first Gibson reissue les paul I think I've seen that actually looks like a 1959.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 1, 2009,
Who would pay those prices???

Offtopic: What does V.O.S mean anyway, is it a kind of laquer?
"Everybody must get stoned!" - Bob Dylan

Last edited by fanjeera at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by fanjeera

Collectors. If the Jimmy Page Custom Authentic is anything to go by, they will be worth much more in a few years.
I thought he had a deal with Fender-owned Gretsch?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by fanjeera

Vintage Original Spec

Or something like that. Basically it means they made the reissue guitar to fit the specs of the original.
Quote by fanjeera

Vintage Original Spec i think.

edit: beaten to it.. but only just!!
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by necrosis1193
I thought he had a deal with Fender-owned Gretsch?

It's not an exclusive contract, he can still put out products with other companies.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Vintage Original Spec

Or something like that. Basically it means they made the reissue guitar to fit the specs of the original.

It basically means they don't use a gloss finish, they use a duller, less shiny finish. ( The actual name of the finish escapes me at the moment)
My epi looks like this . It's no Gibson, but if it can look like a '59 I'm happy xD

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
looks just like any other Gibson LP, but with different pups and a signature. Big deal.
Quote by Tedward
looks just like any other Gibson LP, but with different pups and a signature. Big deal.

Premium wood. I'm not saying it's worth the money but it's better than that.
Want
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Nitro allows the wood to breathe more correct? Meaning the guitar won't be muffled by the layers of lacquer on top like many guitars?

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Pac_man0123
Nitro?

They are both Nitro, but the VOS finish is a varient of it.
Last edited by Knowledge at Jul 1, 2009,
Kinda OT, but Matt Heafy of Trivum posted on Twitter today, that he got his sig 7 string Explorer.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
I love how all these sig models are just regular ol' LP's.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by fantasyh
Kinda OT, but Matt Heafy of Trivum posted on Twitter today, that he got his sig 7 string Explorer.

oh really now?
That actually sounds pretty cool.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Hmmm when you think about it, it's actually a signature signature guitar. Billy Gibbons signature Les Paul signature.
Quote by oneblackened
oh really now?
That actually sounds pretty cool.

Twitter apparently breaks all the Gibson news now, Slash recently posted saying he has a new signature based on his recording model coming.
It's pretty pointless. It's exactly the same as the normal CS 1959 VOS Reissue, except it's got a unique neck profile (who knows if you'll like it?) and they slapped some SD Pearly Gates pickups in there (which makes a mockery out of the whole "we spent months engineering the exact tone" when all that means is "we used what Seymour Duncan have already been making for years").

I like ZZ Top but this is a complete joke.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Unless Gibson finally fixed the tailpieces on the 2009 1959 historics, it's closer to a real 1959 spec wise.
Quote by MrFlibble
It's pretty pointless. It's exactly the same as the normal CS 1959 VOS Reissue, except it's got a unique neck profile (who knows if you'll like it?) and they slapped some SD Pearly Gates pickups in there (which makes a mockery out of the whole "we spent months engineering the exact tone" when all that means is "we used what Seymour Duncan have already been making for years").

I like ZZ Top but this is a complete joke.

Better quality of wood and a nicer top are different from a R9, but on the whole I agree with you. At the very least they could have got the proper inlays.

EDIT: I believe the did fix the tailpieces on some of the 50th anniversary models.
Last edited by Knowledge at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by dcdossett65
I love how all these sig models are just regular ol' LP's.

its a signature signature model if you think about it...
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Knowledge
Better quality of wood and a nicer top are different from a R9, but on the whole I agree with you. At the very least they could have got the proper inlays.

EDIT: I believe the did fix the tailpieces on some of the 50th anniversary models.
I know some of the Bloomfield model has the fixed tailpiece. It's amazing that it's taken them 20 some odd years to fix that on their reissues, especially when it's been such a well documented discrepancy for so long.
I've been watching Gibson since I started playing, and I've finally come to the conclusion that they're like the guitar version of George Lucas, they keep putting out the same thing over and over with slight variations to keep cashing in. Even though they do make some nice guitars, even if they're slightly overrated.
Quote by al112987
I know some of the Bloomfield model has the fixed tailpiece. It's amazing that it's taken them 20 some odd years to fix that on their reissues, especially when it's been such a well documented discrepancy for so long.

Anyone who is looking to buy a reissue is not going to refuse to buy one because of the tailpeice, so as long as those people keep buying them they will never change it.
I doubt the tailpiece being (what like 1/4" maybe) off really affects the sound that much, but there are a lot of folks who complain about it to no end (probably more because it's an inaccuracy on the reissue than anything else). But after looking at a few guitars it does look like they've fixed it on all 2009 vos models.