So, for my 16th b-day, my I'm getting another guitar, and I was looking for Strats or Telecasters, preferably Mexican standards for the sake of cost. I found a brown sunburst Tele at my local music shop used for $280 with small dings and a paint chip on the back.

I also found these:

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1240463244.html
-Edit: this one was sold

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1239757872.html

My question is, what do think my best bet is? I was leaning on the Tele, but I have yet to play the Strats.
Last edited by Marky_Mark15 at Jul 1, 2009,
Is the strat mexican? Those are easily better than any tele made recently.

I saw a nice Red licensed strat a local shop around here.. selling it for $295

My only reaction was, "what a rip off", you know?

Yea. Strat all the way. that burst is damn sexy, and its got a descent price on it.
Quote by Gh057
Is the strat mexican? Those are easily better than any tele made recently.

I saw a nice Red licensed strat a local shop around here.. selling it for $295

My only reaction was, "what a rip off", you know?

Yea. Strat all the way. that burst is damn sexy, and its got a descent price on it.

Yeah, it's Mexican. I don't know when the Tele was made though.
Quote by Gh057
That's an amazing deal.. take it straight away. Before another knowledgeable guitarist does.

I e-mailed the guy, so I'm just waiting for his reply.
400usd for a used strat seems a bit like wishful thinking. unless the hard case is worth a fair amount then haggle with him for it. with regards to tele vs. strat it's pretty much whichever one you prefer given they both sound different to each other and also feel different.
Marky, is there anyone you know that knows guitars and can go with you to look at it? Just be sure its not flawed in some way. Otherwise $300 is a pretty good deal.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Marky_Mark15
He just dropped it to $300.

that's more realistic thinking, that seems to be the norm price for a used mim strat nowadays so it's priced fairly but it doesn't hurt to haggle anyway.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
that's more realistic thinking, that seems to be the norm price for a used mim strat nowadays so it's priced fairly but it doesn't hurt to haggle anyway.

I planned on haggling anyway.

And Auriemma,
I was going to play it and look over it to make sure it is really worth what he is asking.