Compared to say, restringing a Les Paul? Idk anything about working on guitars etc, and restringing a Les Paul is the most I've ever done on it. Is it hard, or just time consuming?
it's not hard. i didnt have any trouble first time i did it
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
There are numerous videos on youtube showing the right way to do it. If you have never done it I would watch them all and see what it consist of
Quote by JohnnyNash
There are numerous videos on youtube showing the right way to do it. If you have never done it I would watch them all and see what it consist of

That's what i did when i got a floyd, and i restrung it in like 5 minutes. Tuning it, however, took much longer...
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
it can be a pain but its not too bad if you change one string at a time. if you take off all of the strings you will have a nightmare on your hands.
Oh and is changing the tuning hard? Like how long would it take to change it from standard to like Drop D or half step down?
It can be hard the first time you do it, but then you learn the tricks to do it. The trick is to not fight with the strings, it makes your life so much easier.

And tuning takes a very long time, so stretch the strings out a little
Quote by greendayguitar
Wow, that looks extremely good, thank you mcuhly RadioHead22, for your amazing gift of foodiness.

M E S H U G G A H
It's got a little learning curve ,I've actually come to prefer the Floyd Rose one of the best videos is on you tube a lot of people claim to know how to tune, few do it right. This guy does it right, it was the way I was taught years ago ,personally i'm a floater you'll understand after watching this video it's three 5 min videos .The guys name is Adam Reiver he's been featured in guitar world several times he's funny because he talks about how people think that tuning this is like the greatest secret to mankind, and it's not.Pay special attention to video 3 it is the key to tuning a floyd rose ,it's probably the most misunderstood part of the whole process .It takes me personally about 20 to 25 min to switch out strings and set it, very simple (always misunerstood). http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5DEB4CEA2A662AA0&search_query=floyd+upgrades
Tuning to D is the same process ,read my post earlier I promise it will solve your floyd rose delema ,you'll see that people make something out of nothing even on some of these post here like shreddy boy no offense (seriously) you can change all 6 strings at once every time if your changing one at a time it generally means you dont know what your doing and are scared to change the settings .Once you've set up the guitar as far as intenation spring tension etc.. as long as you use the same string thickness (personally I use 9-42's) the proc ess of changing strings again is very simple dont let people fool you on the difficulty of Floyd Rose tuners another thing to keep in mind is that about 90% of the videos on you tube are also misleading and posted by people that think they know but clearly dont the right way is the way adam reiver explains it .http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5DEB4CEA2A662AA0&search_query=floyd+upgrades
Its not too hard to restring it. Just remember:
restring it ONE string at a time
block the trem
use the same gauge of strings that you had before
restringing is the easy part, but tuning with new strings for the first time takes forever, just use cross tuning ex. tune low e,a, low e, a, d etc.
Tuning down a half step takes about three minutes .SImply tune the tuners on the bridge down a half step the screws if set at 50% will go down a half step .If you want to go down a whole step you have to reset the bridge this takes about 20 mins.
IT'S A PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!!...especially to get back in tune without unscrewing the nut clamps a dozen times...the key is change one string at a time...and set the fine tuners all the way out..and when you put the nut screws clamps back in, before you tighten them tune the string about a 1/4 step flatter than the tuning that you are aiming for...then fine tune it to your desired pitch....
Last edited by jtkguitar at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by jtkguitar
IT'S A PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!!...especially to get back in tune without unscrewing the nut clamps a dozen times...the key is change one string at a time...and set the fine tuners all the way out..and when you put the nut screws clamps back in, before you tighten them tune the string about a 1/4 step flatter than the tuning that you are aiming for...then fine tune it to your desired pitch....

Again it's not a pain in the ass it's very simple you CAN change all 6 strings , the one string at a time thing is a myth the proceess is the same every time, you follow a series of steps if you skip a step YOU WILL have problems gauranteed .If you stay the course every time the process is very simple .Again dont let people fool you .I've never understood all the fear in this process it's a huge misunderstanding ,theyve complicated it.
Ok, also I've never owned a guitar with a tremolo. You think I'll be ok if I go straight for the Floyd Rose or should I try out say, a strat bridge first?
Quote by Guitar2theface
Ok, also I've never owned a guitar with a tremolo. You think I'll be ok if I go straight for the Floyd Rose or should I try out say, a strat bridge first?

personally i would go for the floyd because guitars are expensive you eventually grow out of this kind of bridge and want to expand your musical vocabulary the floyd rose will give you this kind of freedom if you got the money get both !
Alright, I guess I'll go for the floyd. Sounds like a pain in the ass to tune but I'll deal with it.
It was complicated for me the first time, but after that you know the entire process like a pro.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Guitar2theface
Alright, I guess I'll go for the floyd. Sounds like a pain in the ass to tune but I'll deal with it.

It's really not a pain, if you read some earlier posts of mine on here it explains and has a link to a valuable video posting on you tube initial setup will take about 2 hrs from then on it will be very quick if you break a string or want to tune down .I dont know how all the miconceptions of a Floyd Rose got out there ignore them, do the process exzactly how Adam reiver explains it it works every time ,with out fail, it seems a little hard it's really not, it's a process of about 10 steps if you skip a step you'll have problems if you learn it the right way from the start it's unbelievably simple the frustration people are experiencing is simply from being misled I'm think of posting my own video I probably will ,I would cover common myths and misunderstandings as well .Dont let other people on this forum or on you tube scare you ,once you do it for yourself you'll see what i'm talking about .It's almost laughable now .
Takes me about 1/2 hour, then again, I do a whole wipe down of my guitar.