Hey all,

I've been bassing for about 2 1/2 years now and looking to get a 5 / 6 string bass.

A few problems though, firstly (despite having a decent enough paying job) I can't bring myself to save so have upto a very maximum of £500 to spend.

Also, I have relatively small hands, so a big neck would be a bit of a pain.

I live in the channel islands, so firstly don't have any decent guitar shops (only one which basically only stocks "normal" guitars) and second delivery is gonna be a bit more, so bear that in mind with the price.

I currently have an Ibanez AGB200, love it to pieces and is a really nice size.

However much I hate eBay, I have found a Fender Squier which looks half decent for an alright price.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated, i'll be mashing F5 so any questions will be answered pretty sharpish.

Peace
Say hi

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, FIFA 13, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2
Reading: The Hobbit

Watching: How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 24

Listening: Muse - The 2nd Law
Go with Ibanez again, umm, not sure what model.

also, if you have small hands, I'd suggest a 5.
Last edited by Halakar at Jul 1, 2009,
well if i were you id stick with the ibanez great sound for less money feneders kinda sound muddy unless you get really expensive ones and there slow and heavy for a bass the action sucks i cant remember the model but i saw a six string ibanez bass for like 290 american dollars ummm if i see it again i will post what kind it was i mean what model it was
Ibanez SR705 FTW!!! but seriously, thats what i play, and it feels great, sounds great, etc. Zero complaints. I also have fairly small hands and this bass feels great to me
Jazz bass has a nice thin neck, Ibanez GSR series has small necks for a 5 string.
Ibanez GSR206, if you're down for shipping. I like that bass a lot.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Get an epi thunderbird 5 string. They have small necks on the 4 string so the 5 will be small aswell.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
if you want a good brand for a 5 string you have ibanez or esp they are good in price and great in sound and playablity
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_sr505bm_5string_ebass.htm
or
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_sr506_bm.htm

I'm serious, that's probably your best best. Sounds great, and has the best neck ever :P Only concerns for you would be string spacing (but that's easy enough to overcome, except for slapping) and it dents really easy.
the squier is amazingness. plays better than a lot of mexican fenders. the neck takes a while to get used to, because it is huge, but if you have large hands like me, its perfect. i use the squier as my main bass and doesnt even have a scratch on it, and i abuse my guitars (you should see my tele). that bass is really good for the money. it was my first 5 string and its the only one i need.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
with his kind of budget, he could do better than a Squier. It might be good for <300 or something, but he could hit something better, especially used, for 500.
Quote by Canadian_basser
with his kind of budget, he could do better than a Squier. It might be good for <300 or something, but he could hit something better, especially used, for 500.

have u played the squier active jazz v???? it is soooooooooo nice. i love that thing to death. i would take my squier over a mexican fender any day.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
The Rouge LX405 Pro and the Schecter Stiletto make a great 5-string. If you get more money to spare Specter basses are great as well.
Quote by primusclaypool1
have u played the squier active jazz v???? it is soooooooooo nice. i love that thing to death. i would take my squier over a mexican fender any day.

I have, wasn't that great, to be honest. I just think he can do better than squier, albeit a supposedly good one, for the budget.