Hey y'all

So sad news, im selling my Laney VC-30 tbh i never use it and its just too loud for what i need. So with the money im looking to get a small all-valve/tube amp, the smallest really. Obviously the cliche to buy is the Epi valve Junior and thats what im looking at. But before i buy i thought it best to concsult you guise. Am i making a mistake? Is there a better bang for my buck?
: )
What music do you play?

I'd say Blackstar HT-5 or Vox AC4TV.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
blackheart little giant ?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Budget and genres?

The above 3 are great suggestions though.

EDIT: Just noticed you said smallest, the Vox AC4TV is switchable from 4 watts to 1 and down to 1/4 watt
Last edited by aaronni at Jul 1, 2009,
Blackstar clips do sound awesome. check out the blackstar thread. Dont get a Valve Jr unless you want to mod the **** out of it.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
depends on what you play, but if you need some power tube overdrive, you'd probably want something with variable wattage or power scaling. even 5 watts cranked up is really loud for home practice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Valve Juniors are very passe now, and not as good considering what else is available. If you want similar tone to the Laney, look into the Blackheart Little Giant. If you want better tone, get the Vox AC-4. It is Godly. The Blackstar is another good option, particularly if you want some extra features you might otherwise miss. What is your budget though? There are some excellent companies out there like E.V.A. who do a decent great line of low watt amps.
5 watts is still very loud indeed. Cornell offer an amp that goes from 15 to 4 to 0.3 watts I think. but they are expensive. I'm pointing it out because it's something you need to cogitate on. that going from 30 watts to 5 watts is not necessarily instantly going to give you that much better, driven tone retained in practise volumes. It will certainly be easier to find those natural tones, but maybe not enough to warrant selling and re-buying.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I'm pointing it out because it's something you need to cogitate on. that going from 30 watts to 5 watts is not necessarily instantly going to give you that much better, driven tone retained in practise volumes. It will certainly be easier to find those natural tones, but maybe not enough to warrant selling and re-buying.

agreed wholeheartedly- especially if you move from a 30 watt amp with a master volume to a 5 watt amp without one (the valve junior), it's very likely you'll get more drive out of the laney at bedroom volumes! Certainly i can get distortion at much more civilised volumes with my master volume engl (which is 100 watts) than my valve junior (which is 5, but which has no master volume).

I also agree with greggy's point about VJs being a bit passé- when they were released, there weren't too many other good-value options available, but that's not the case now, you have a LOT more options. that vox ac4 is probably worth a try, considering it has the variable wattage, but i haven't tried it yet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vox AC4TV: Amazing overdriven sounds a low volumes, thanks to the power scaling (?).
Fender Vibro Champ XD: Great range of tones, built in effects are nice sounding too.
Fender Champ 600: great, simple amp.
Blackstar HT-5: like the AC4, great overdriven sounds a low volumes. has way more features, though.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Vix night rain is a 15 watt head, so even with the smallest cab its going to be too loud
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Id go for the Blackstar HT-5
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Another higher end option could be the Cornell Plexi Seven, switchable from 7 to 2, to 0.25w.

Having said that, as a former and future Vox AC4 owner, I would recommend it over anything else, especially for the price.
Quote by 667
it can be switched to operate at 7.5 watts.

Still way too loud and expensive for a pratice amp.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I've tried the VJ and the Vox AC4TV. With the power scaling and better tone, the Vox wins hands down.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
orange tiny terror or a eganter rebel 20 with a 1X12 cab?

have a 1X12 for practice, a 2X12 or 4X12 for gigs
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
A Valve Jr isn't going to get you anywhere unless you put pedals in front of it. I just bought a Fender Champ XD and it's compact and versatile. You don't really get great tone out of anything at low volumes. But the XD can give you as much gain as you need with a master volume to keep the level down. Plus it has reverb, delay, chorus, tremolo, and rotating speaker FX.